Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 19, 2017, 12:14 PM
fly by night
for miniquads - fly plenty of hours on the simulator(s)! These aircraft are meant to be crashed, but they also break things and bend things every crash and that gets expensive and slows the learning curve. So get the cable for your transmitter (or receiver-usb for flysky) and get a sim for like free or cheap.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2017, 12:19 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
avoid GPS, headless mode, alt hold and return to home features, like the plague.
I agree with this, but there are many many folks, even some veterans, who disagree.

though one expert fpv veteran I know who has flown LR more than almost anyone in FPV - usually flew with no gps, no OSD. Myself I did not do a whole lot of LR flying, but also rarely had RTH on board, and also never lost a plane.
Dec 19, 2017, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
I agree with this, but there are many many folks, even some veterans, who disagree.
I disagree with this, while some people don't fly very far or way high off the ground where they are pretty much guaranteed a solid link some of us like to fly as low as we can get away with and the RF environment low to the ground is more challenging to be sure. Also stuff happens, in fact just the other day I out flying in the wilderness and someone stopped to see what I was doing. He parked his van right in-between my groundstation and the plane.
Dec 19, 2017, 04:13 PM
Here's the thing with APs with RTH. A lot of people set them up, and then never
test them properly, as in actually turning off their Tx to see if it properly
activates RTH and flies home ("it works when I flip this switch, but I would *never* turn my Tx off").
They don't test them in the wind, at low altitudes (below launch) or around mountains, etc.
An untested RTH is as good as none at all, and sometimes worse.

I've flown hundreds of hours without any OSD/AP at all, and hundreds of hours with one.
Like any other electronic aid (including the basic mixing in your Tx), it can help you
push the limits in some circumstances or get you into trouble in others. Just
don't blindly assume that it will solve all your problems. A properly setup, balanced
and trimmed aircraft is still critical, long before you start leaning on an AP.
Dec 19, 2017, 04:28 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
All that testing, calibrating the compass, waiting on GPS, using multiples switches and reading the manual is too much for a beginner IMO.
Start simple . Keep it small. Stay close. Learn when to let a quad drop before you get close to trouble. And avoid making stuff more complicated than it needs to be. -after learning the basics then you can add more bells and whistles.
Last edited by xanuser; Dec 19, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
Dec 19, 2017, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Make that "record your flight footage period".
So many people dismiss the value of a DVR. I flew years without OSD, or AP but always with a recording of
every flight and never lost a plane but I still see people lose/destroy planes even with all the fanciest gear on it,
simply because they didn't record the flight, so when something goes wrong, they have *no clue* what happened.
Invest in goggles with a built in DVR, or buy a separate one (little Eachine dvr works fine), and use
it on *every single flight*.
I can certainly attest to that! I've managed to find EVERY plane I've "lost" while recording FPV flight. While looking at the recording I see "that tree/the house/the parking lot/the whatever that gives me clues that are missed in the heat of the moment. And a quad with GPS...very easy to find.
Last edited by formontoya; Dec 19, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Dec 19, 2017, 06:31 PM
fly by night
Never had an aircraft go dow long range, but have had maybe a hundred fpv aircraft (mostly miniquad crashes) go down short range though. never once used the recording in 7 years flying even though I usually do record on ground DVR. Instead I use either the RC RSSI telemetry numbers to geo locate it directionally, or I use a directional antenna on the fpv video to geolocate it, or I simply use the block-signal-with-my-body to geolocate it (RC or FPV link). If the battery gets ejected, then I guess I would use the DVR recording as last resort. beepers help too, but only within 50m - would like to find a really loud one instead some time
Dec 19, 2017, 07:03 PM
ultra cheap pilot
One word: "Learn how to solder".
Dec 19, 2017, 07:10 PM
fly by night
even better one word advice:

soldering-station
Dec 20, 2017, 07:29 AM
400' + is where fun starts.
+1 BC

Learn what & that

Reverse Polarity

RF is NOT DC
Dec 20, 2017, 09:04 AM
Quote:

soldering-station
OMG yes!

My first soldering iron was from the hardware store; years of cold solder joints on everything, not knowing why soldering was so "hard to do".
Dec 20, 2017, 12:15 PM
Understand the limitations/range of your equipment! Use a spotter if possible.
I saw a guy show up to the field with a new UMX FPV Radian and his goggles had a 1.2ghz antenna. He lost his FPV video feed and the aircraft.
Last edited by Flyin Slo; Dec 20, 2017 at 12:25 PM.
Dec 20, 2017, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Slo
Understand the limitations/range of your equipment! Use a spotter if possible.
I saw a guy show up to the field with a new UMX FPV Radian and his goggles had a 1.2ghz antenna. He lost his FPV video feed and the aircraft.
Oh the irony,
You weren't understanding the limitations/range of equipment when you posted this.

Unlike "normal" planes UMX Radian is bound hard to DSMX and 2.4 ghz only. If your buddy was using a 1.2ghz vtx he wouldn't be able to control his airplane (2.4 ghz is the 2nd harmonic for 1.2).
Dec 20, 2017, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO
Get your ground station set up - turn on the RX, monitor, goggles, etc etc.... THEN turn on the plane and get that vTX in the air fairly quickly so that it gets some airflow to cool it down.
That is good stuff. I've never even thought about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
Consider starting with a ground-pounder instead of something that flies.

As you learn the ropes about losing signal link you aren't nearly as liable to accrue damage but simply roll to a stop.
+1!! I first tried FPV on a small quad inside, and it didn't go well at all I got frustrated with it and abandoned the idea. Just put my FPV stuff on the shelf and a few months later I saw on youtube people putting the gear on land based vehicles. I tried it on my crawler and wow!! I now love it...it gives you a whole different perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
One word: "Learn how to solder".
Quote:

soldering-station
+1!! Learning to solder will save you a lot of money in the long run. It's actually fun once you get a hang of it
Dec 20, 2017, 07:24 PM
fly by night
Ground vehicle FPV might be OK. I was never keen on it at all, not interested in RC cars. Instead I started FPV with UMX aircraft. They are so very slow, crash resistant, totally safe and easy to fly. Worked out well in my experience, back in 2011 (I started with a nano sized fpv components mounted into a UMX twin motor Mosquito). the UMX beginner planes are also an excellent way to learn to fly LOS imho, which an FPV pilot should have basic skill with too.

Quick Reply