1 Tip for New Beginner RC Drone Pilots - RC Groups

1 Tip for New Beginner RC Drone Pilots

Check out this thread to learn tips and tricks about RC Drones from those with experience. Use it as a resource and be sure to share your knowledge with the group.

Splash

Share Your Best Tips with New Drone Pilots

This time of year we start seeing an influx of newcomers to the hobby visiting RCGroups. Some are finding out about this great hobby for the first time and wanting to soak up as much information as they can before starting their journey. For most of us, we've been doing this for years or decades and as a community, the knowledge we all have is an outstanding resource that should be shared.

I wanted to create a series of these articles for various RC categories so no matter if you got a new airplane, heli, drone, truck or boat, you'll have easy access to some of the best tips and tricks to help you be successful and enjoy your chosen hobby. This article is for Drones so please hit the reply button below and share your favorite drone related tips and tricks.

I'll get us started with a cool resource you might not be familiar with. While it is possible to learn to fly with the right drone all by yourself, you are going to have a better chance with the help of an experienced pilot. Plus meeting and flying with others who share the same passion as you is way more fun than doing it alone. Use the RCGroups Places Page to locate and find clubs near you and reach out for help. You'll be glad you did.

Dec 18, 2017, 12:03 PM
My best tip for new FPV mini/micro flyers (beyond the basics) is to always keep moving. If you wanted to hover 40ft in the air for 10mins then you should've bought a Phantom
Latest blog entry: 6000mAh lipo for my Taranis QX7
Dec 18, 2017, 12:42 PM
My quadcopter is not a drone!
Tip #1: Learn what the difference is between a drone and a multirotor craft. It matters.

Tip #2: Read the friendly manual.

Tip #3: Make sure you have plenty of spare batteries. It gets really boring if you only have one and can only fly for five minutes and then have to wait 45 minutes to recharge your one battery.

Tip #4: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! While you might be tempted to flash the latest and greatest firmware on everything, it is often not needed.

Tip #5: Use your common sense and don't fly your craft near people, animals, cars or property.

Tip #6: If you need to ask for help, don't assume that we can read your mind. Use an informative title for your thread and tell us everything you can. Having to pump people for basic facts gets really boring very quickly.

Tip #7: If you have never flown before, a small toy is a much better choice to learn with than a huge, high powered racer. The small toy won't break into lots of tiny parts the first time you crash either.

Tip #8: You will crash, repeatedly. Make sure you have plenty of propellers!

Tip #9: Learning to fly is hard, especially if you're not as young as you used to be. If it's getting frustrating, stop and try again tomorrow. You'll work it out in the end and often, progress is sudden and unexpected.

Tip #10: Don't fly over concrete or hard surfaces. Your new toy will last much longer if you crash on grass instead of the pavement.

Tip #11: A modern quadcopter with 5" propellers is capable of inflicting serious injury. Do not try to fly one indoors. If you have to connect the flight battery indoors, take the propellers off. Taking the props off is NOT an optional step.

Tip #12: Test your failsafe settings. If you turn off your radio, the propellers should stop spinning within a couple of seconds. Nobody enjoys seeing their new toy fly off into the sunset.
Dec 18, 2017, 01:01 PM
RCGroups Editor
I teach law enforcement how to fly drones at the local community college. Every month I have 9-12 officers with zero flying experience, and by the end of the course, they are manual and GPS flying a few different brands of quadcopters confidently and safely.

My number 1 tip that I drive home: little control movements go a long way. I try to ingrain in their heads that you don't need to bang the sticks if things start to get squirrely... there's plenty of time for that when you start freestyle FPV!
Dec 19, 2017, 06:28 PM
FPV Lawnmower
great tips so far!

+1 keep forward flight, hovering is hard
+1 (very very very) small stick movements

less intuitive things;

1 - finding the proper rates/expo for your style - for instance I use very high rates for yaw but not roll/pitch

2 - starting with an inexpensive forgiving platform - dont overpower yourself

3 - LOS (line of sight) is very different than FPV - dont be discouraged if you cant fly LOS in rate mode right away - most people cant

4 - if you have the option, start flying in "rate mode" (no self leveling) as soon as possible - self leveling is for camera robots, rate is for proximity pilots

5 - the learning curve can be very steep for new pilots, dont be discouraged, the best way to learn is to keep at it
Dec 20, 2017, 04:54 AM
Hi All,

Great advice above, I have a DJI Mavic Pro which I have had for about a year now, while its a lot of fun and super easy to fly, I cannot stop watching youtube videos on these FPV race quads, and now want to dip my toes in, my first question, where on this forum would you recommend that I post info on the type of fpv quad to buy? there are hundreds out there and have no idea where to even start, even though I have a mavic I know that this is a completely different ball game, so I'm effectively a total Noob.
Dec 20, 2017, 11:06 AM
FPV Lawnmower
here for small quads
https://www.rcgroups.com/micro-multirotor-drones-984/

here for the standard 5" stuff
https://www.rcgroups.com/mini-multir...800/page2.html

consider something small and ready to fly - like the baby hawks for outdoors or tiny whoops indoors - skills learned there are the same but for a fraction of the cost - they can be flown rate mode and can be tuned to your style so you get a feel for everything

when you are ready build up a 5" 4s quad and go rip

or just dive in with a build right away if you dont mind rebuilding, repairing and replacing props every time you crash

more flight time always equals better progression
Dec 22, 2017, 06:19 PM
Has anyone mentioned how crucial soldering is? A good soldering iron is almost as important as good hands, especially with DIY drones.

I almost gave up when I built my qav250 because it kept shorting. As it turned, my subpar equipment and skill were to blame.
Dec 22, 2017, 07:42 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra_bravo
Has anyone mentioned how crucial soldering is? A good soldering iron is almost as important as good hands, especially with DIY drones.

I almost gave up when I built my qav250 because it kept shorting. As it turned, my subpar equipment and skill were to blame.
yep. but only in the sister FPV thread.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:41 AM
Get high. One way or another.
Best tip:

Crash. And do crash a lot.

Crashing is the rite of passage because you will learn from it. Once an aspiring pilot embraces that fact, he will know to first start with simulators and cheap small drones, while being mindful of safety and respecting the limits of his skill.

The worst are newbies who think by throwing a small fortune to buy top end drones, they are exempted from crashing and put others in danger as a result.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:55 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo
Best tip:

Crash. And do crash a lot.

Crashing is the rite of passage because you will learn from it. Once an aspiring pilot embraces that fact, he will know to first start with simulators and cheap small drones, while being mindful of safety and respecting the limits of his skill.

The worst are newbies who think by throwing a small fortune to buy top end drones, they are exempted from crashing and put others in danger as a result.
I have to sort of disagree.
While its true you need to accept that you will crash, as its inevitable, I actually think you learn much faster by trying really hard to not crash. Flying slower, in open spaces, and keeping it close by means you will be in the air longer cause your not stopping to replace/fixgear, and you don't have to walk far to fetch it, or waste time hunting for it.
Jan 05, 2018, 01:05 PM
Deluxe NooB
Great tips guys ��
I'm not offering a tip, but more a rational.
I'm building a GPS/FPV. 250mm quad.
I love the technical problem solving aspects along with the build & assembly.
I'm teaching my boys what I know & hope they gain a respect for the challenge. Pride in an achievement. So entry into the quadcopter for us is multi faceted.
My RC pilot skills are slim, my boys have none.
Building a stable.platform w/ NAV functions to get our less than novice skills moving forward. Hoping to grow into more Acro flying.
Jan 05, 2018, 02:58 PM
A tip for people with a low budget who want to start with fpv race quads...
Choose what size of quad you wanna fly wisely.
Different size quad=different bateries=different props=different motors etc...
Cause spareparts are not cheap and you will have to spent money on those to keep flying.
I started with a 5inch cause it carry's easy an action cam for hd recordings and stuck with this..
Now there are solutions for hd recording with smaller quads..see runcam split..
Bigger quads need bigger areas and are more dangerous... Smaller quads can fly safer in smaller areas.. this is what I'm missing sometimes with my 5 inch..
I have to take my car and go far far away from people and property's...
Jan 05, 2018, 03:02 PM
And You're Not
Buy props, lots of props.
Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
Jan 05, 2018, 05:47 PM
Don't buy a DJI if you have no experience. You're ruining the hobby for everyone.

Quick Reply