Dec 25, 2017, 03:48 AM
Know where the sun is and position yourself so the you don't place the plane between it and you.

Maybe not #1 tip, but it should be on the list somewhere.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2017, 12:57 PM
Excellent tips and all are aligned with my strategic plan and agenda. Thanks for your input!
Dec 26, 2017, 10:48 AM
we can take off without that
post #2 is the best.

Pick a light weight trainer (HZ Champ is a good example).
Go straight in the deep end with a real plane, simulator cant replicate real world.
Use a free online flight simulator just to get used to left-right, up-down, some complete beginners get confused with directions.
The light weight trainer will survive most of your crashes and be easily repairable.

You learn faster when under stress / when something real is at stake, ie your real airplane that you paid for.

I learned with Kyosho Flybaby, that was in 2008, its still flying!
The HZ Champ did not exist back then, but I have to say it is a much better beginner plane.
My second plane was a UM P51, which was a mistake, too twitchy, several bad crashes straight away.
But again because of light weight it was repairable and caused me to learn quickly to fly planes which go where you point them.
After that I went straight to edfs.

My second tip is, for your second plane go for something cheap with ailerons that will survive hard crashes.
Dec 26, 2017, 01:10 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup
Know where the sun is and position yourself so the you don't place the plane between it and you.

Maybe not #1 tip, but it should be on the list somewhere.
To expand on this a bit... if you go to a field, make sure the runway runs east/west. North/south runways are heavily dependant on both the position of the pilot box and time of day.
Jan 03, 2018, 10:30 AM
Suspended Account
There are numerous formulas for success. But it might be prudent to note some characteristics and let the newbee choose for themselves.

As a general rule:

You wouldn't start flying real planes by climbing into a P-51 or F-15. What makes you think you can do it with models? Get a Trainer first!

Simulators can help. HELP! But they're only as good as the guy who wrote the program.

Bigger models are easier to fly than smaller ones.

Tricycle landing gear (nose wheel) are easier to control on the ground than tail draggers.

High wing tends to be more stable in flight.

3 Channel at a minimum and 4 maximum. I prefer 4 for training. Anything more will just confuse you and waste time and probably an airplane.

Electric, Nitro and Gas all have their advantages over the other two. Fly what your instructor prefers.

Make the most of your instructors expertise.

Clubs are a wealth of help, advise and knowledge.

So is the local RC Hobby Shop. If you have one.

Nothing teaches you how these things work better than building one from a true kit.

Get help with that kit if you haven't done one before. On line help is better than nothing.

Get the best radio with the most channels you can afford. The money you save by going cheap will eventually be spent on repairs and replacement parts. Just because you have 20 channels doesn't you have to use 20 channels.

Yes, you can teach yourself how to fly without anyone's help. You can teach yourself to crash the same way.

If you wonder if it's too windy to fly? It probably is!

The wind, like the rest of all this, is a tool to be learned, understood and used.

Take off's are optional. Landings are mandatory.
Jan 03, 2018, 11:23 AM
Make sure your C.O.G is correct before flying

Took me several attempts and several glue sticks to actually fly my first non-toy plane. The first several crashes knocked my confidence enough for me to not bother for months. More then a year after my first attempt, it flew.

Don't buy an overly expensive first plane. Buy something you'd be okay with smashing up and gluing together again.. and again
Jan 04, 2018, 02:16 PM

Eye Opening Experience

Though new to this hobby, I've wanted to get involved with R/C Aircraft for years. Now, being close to retirement, I have the time and resources to commit to it. I've joined AMA and my local club MAR/C here in Redmond, WA.

As an engineer, I've probably forced myself to be more regimented than I need to be but I spent the first several weeks learning and understanding the hobby, the products and technology, resources, rules and guidelines and most of all the etiquette to follow. I just purchased RF8 simulator and learning the basics and though I have a lot of understanding of aircraft and their respective flight characteristics, I've found flying R/C aircraft is more challenging (in a fun way) than expected.

I need a lot more "sim" hours before I waste anyone's time as a "Buddy" or "Trainer" but I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on a couple subjects.

1. I don't have any issues with depth perception but using the RF8 Sim, I'm finding it difficult to clearly and accurately perceive an aircraft's position if there are trees (for example) at the end of the runway. When I line up for my approach and descend to land it appears I'm over the trees but soon realize I haven't flown over them yet. I'm guessing it's as much a graphical issue as anything since I can land fine without any obstructions.

Any Comments?

2. Has anyone had any issues with the "Trim" features on the RF8 Sim? I've had a lot of difficulty using that feature on all axis'. The difficulty I'm having is the trim switches don't seem to have any effect to trimming the aircraft because the aircraft doesn't seem to respond to the actions. I've even recalibrated the controller and tried again, still no response.

Any Comments?
Jan 04, 2018, 02:42 PM
DFS#000178
Run away. Run far, far away.

Before the addiction gets you.
Jan 04, 2018, 03:01 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover54

Any Comments?
In My Opinion :
Sims are good for a new RC flyer to get a feel for the transmitter controls and how the plane responds to them .... but they are no substitute for actual RC flying . The best thing you can do is go out and actually fly an RC plane ! Have you purchased and flown one already ? If not , there are planes available that can easily be flown by a new RC flyer without the assistance of "buddy box trainer" .
Jan 04, 2018, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

The bug already bit me years ago. I know I'm going to enjoy this immensely because my wife is already complaining about the time I'm spending reading and learning about this hobby but hey, she should be glad I don't play golf! LOLOLOL!
Jan 04, 2018, 06:26 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
The bug already bit me years ago. I know I'm going to enjoy this immensely because my wife is already complaining about the time I'm spending reading and learning about this hobby but hey, she should be glad I don't play golf! LOLOLOL!
My wife had no interest in my RC flying hobby until I started flying at night with LED lights on the planes . Now she will come watch the night flyers fly on a nice summer's eve .

Watching this video got me interested in night flying :

Night Flyers (Singapore Night Flyers, Clarke Quay) (3 min 2 sec)
Jan 04, 2018, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
My wife had no interest in my RC flying hobby until I started flying at night with LED lights on the planes . Now she will come watch the night flyers fly on a nice summer's eve .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq4MdPlR0Qo
WOW!!!!! This is awesome. I just showed my Granddaughter your video and she said it's sooooo cool and is interested in seeing something like this. She lives in AZ so we'll check it out next time I visit her. Thanks for sharing!
Jan 04, 2018, 07:14 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
WOW!!!!! This is awesome. I just showed my Granddaughter your video and she said it's sooooo cool and is interested in seeing something like this. She lives in AZ so we'll check it out next time I visit her. Thanks for sharing!
In RC flying , there are so many FUN directions to go in : scale , sport , sailplanes , 3D , ultra-slow , high speed , silly home-made planes , etc . etc .

I personally get a lot of satisfaction from scratch building planes .... nothing like seeing something you've created fly !
Jan 06, 2018, 06:23 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

If that isnít true, NOTHING is true!!!!!
Jan 07, 2018, 09:46 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq4MdPlR0Qo
So you could build something like those. But I have too many projects waiting their turn now. I'll never get to it.

Or you can buy something like this:
http://www.goflykite.com/product/pro-3/?v=0f177369a3b7

That's way too pricey.

Anything similar available for cheap?

Quick Reply