1 Tip for New Beginner RC Airplane Pilots - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 19, 2017, 08:09 AM
Make your 1st "airplane" Realflight or Phoenix Flight Sim. It will allow you to try a wide number of models, learn about what types of airplanes you actually like flying, and develop the skills needed to fly without crashing before you commit to buying a real one.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2017, 09:52 AM
Wandering IT geek
For Joiners/Social sorts of people: Find a club:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx (you should join the AMA too!). Go on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Watch for a while. Talk to the people. See if anyone's willing to help you learn to fly.

For the solidary/loaner sorts of people:

Get a sim. fly, crash, repeat until you're able to usually land the airplane. Use Google Maps to find a big grassy or open area. Take your E-Flite Apprentice there and fly.

For all new pilots: read the sticky.
Dec 19, 2017, 10:50 AM
FPV Lawnmower
best first plane = 3 channel epp trainer
Dec 21, 2017, 01:11 AM
Does it have invasion stripes?
I started flying 18 months ago at age 58. Do what I did...

1. Get a good simulator and use the thing for hours and hours for several weeks. You'll become proficient.
2. Go to a club field and get some buddy box time from an instructor. do this until you have confidence.
3. Start with a slow and ugly plane. I started with a Cub.
4. Fly yur ugly plane as often as you possibly can. Do 5 or 6 landings on every battery.
5. Move up to "cool" planes gradually. A 1100mm T-28 was my first big boy plane. Repeat #4 with it. A lot.
6. Fly early and often. I do, and I'm told that I'm already one of the best fliers at the club with better landings than anyone else.
7. Go back to the simulator every time you want to explore a new acrobatic trick. You'll thank me.
8. ENJOY!
Dec 21, 2017, 02:55 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoUteFan
I started flying 18 months ago at age 58. Do what I did...

1. Get a good simulator and use the thing for hours and hours for several weeks. You'll become proficient.
2. Go to a club field and get some buddy box time from an instructor. do this until you have confidence.
3. Start with a slow and ugly plane. I started with a Cub.
4. Fly yur ugly plane as often as you possibly can. Do 5 or 6 landings on every battery.
5. Move up to "cool" planes gradually. A 1100mm T-28 was my first big boy plane. Repeat #4 with it. A lot.
6. Fly early and often. I do, and I'm told that I'm already one of the best fliers at the club with better landings than anyone else.
7. Go back to the simulator every time you want to explore a new acrobatic trick. You'll thank me.
8. ENJOY!
Very good advice indeed. I didn't follow this exact sequence but pretty close. And brings up a very good point, the very first maneuver that every beginner should learn is landings. And same here, I owned a 1100mm T-28 that hung from the ceiling for months before I felt comfortable maidening it.
Dec 21, 2017, 07:22 AM
Electric_RC
I have been in this hobby three years and things I have learned.

* If the wind is throwing your plane around while on the ground or flipping it over probably too windy to fly.
* Buy a good transmitter
* Buy decent batteries
* I found my first success flying was with a 3 channel glider.
* As said before practice landings every time you fly.
*Buy a good soldering iron and dremel, they come in handy.
*Balancing your plane is very important. Always make sure CG is correct on every plane you fly.
*Lots of knowledge on these forums.

If you can join a club I would, I crashed and destroyed probably 5 planes before I thought of joining a club.

I could go on and on but these are off the top of my head.

HobbyZone Conscendo with SAFE (7 min 2 sec)
Last edited by jobinseattle; Dec 21, 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Dec 22, 2017, 02:18 AM
Lots of good tips there, all of them together would go a long ways to being successful. But if we are restricted to only ONE single tip, I'd say

- Don't get a 100 mph warbird for your first plane (cue up the 100 mph beginner video, that never gets old!)

Regards
Dec 22, 2017, 06:24 PM
Forums are your friend, even once you progress past the beginner stage.

And also, don't be afraid to make your own aircraft. I learned to not only fly with a FliteTest(FT) spitfire but also how to build, tune, and fix.
Dec 23, 2017, 06:38 PM
This is all great information for us "Newbees" Thanks to everyone for your inputs and tips. I committed to the RC aircraft hobby a few months ago and I've been spending the first couple months researching, studying the hobby, understanding the rules and the respective etiquette. I'm now ready to buy and spend time on a simulator but the choices are narrowed to two options; Phoenix w/ DX6i or RealFlight 8. I'm told Phoenix is better in terms of graphics BUT RFlight has much better software updates and is a bit easier.

Anyone have any comments on this?
Dec 23, 2017, 06:40 PM
Both work great. In my opinion they're great toy. Unfortunately for me they do not replicate real-world well enough. For me the key was starting with a trainer and getting in the air
Dec 23, 2017, 06:41 PM
Does it have invasion stripes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover54
This is all great information for us "Newbees" Thanks to everyone for your inputs and tips. I committed to the RC aircraft hobby a few months ago and I've been spending the first couple months researching, studying the hobby, understanding the rules and the respective etiquette. I'm now ready to buy and spend time on a simulator but the choices are narrowed to two options; Phoenix w/ DX6i or RealFlight 8. I'm told Phoenix is better in terms of graphics BUT RFlight has much better software updates and is a bit easier.

Anyone have any comments on this?
I used RealFlight 7.5. Graphics were very good.
Dec 24, 2017, 07:13 AM
I still have my my first RC plane (or at least the guts from it).
RC plane Champ 7 Years Old Flies Like New (2 min 59 sec)
Dec 24, 2017, 08:58 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D plane.
Fly inside a well planned restricted space, volume.

i.e. don't go every where, don't let the plane go too far, stay at 2 or 3 mistakes high, sun on the back.
Last edited by fauconnier; Dec 24, 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Dec 24, 2017, 04:50 PM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier
Fly inside a well planned restricted space, volume.

i.e. don't go every where, don't let the plane go too far, stay at 2 or 3 mistakes high, sun on the back.
be patient, wait for the right weather conditions.

Fly with little or no wind, and if any, blowing in your face.
Dec 24, 2017, 09:48 PM
Team Legit pilot & DFWC Prez
dont fly over your head or behind your back

Quick Reply