Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 17, 2017, 07:06 PM
Discussion

What is a good plane to make over the winter

New to electric planes. Had good luck with a foam Vortex. Want to build something over the winter with a bit more ommph and Ailerons . So can take my time buying parts and build it in my basement.

May get in some winter flying if I get it done
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2017, 07:39 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegeorge64
New to electric planes. Had good luck with a foam Vortex. Want to build something over the winter with a bit more ommph and Ailerons . So can take my time buying parts and build it in my basement.

May get in some winter flying if I get it done
What is a foam Vortex ?

Are you asking about assembling a kit or ARF .... or scratch building a plane ?

Dec 17, 2017, 08:56 PM
I think it's time to fly.
You know.

It's what you get when you swirl beer around in the glass.

But we don't know what material or size of this winter creation do we.
Last edited by Rhea; Dec 17, 2017 at 09:08 PM.
Dec 18, 2017, 03:24 PM
JB Sims
You might try either the Pelican or Albatross with aileron wings. EPP foam, tough and pretty easy to build. Good for video or FPV. There's also lots of great help on the RCG's Albatross & Storm Chaser thread plus plenty of step by step build videos to help you along. Great flying planes too! After you've beat the bageebers out of the Pelican or Albatross (it'll take a while) you can graduate up to one of the flying wings. - JB
http://www.crashtesthobby.com
Dec 18, 2017, 03:45 PM
It's A Great Time To Be Flying
Telemaster. You can make in any size you want.
Dec 18, 2017, 05:03 PM
Thanks I will check them out. Appreciate the advice
Dec 18, 2017, 05:05 PM
A kit would be good. Want something a bit bigger than a micro that I can get a feel for. And learn on better.
Dec 18, 2017, 05:08 PM
I like the looks of the albatross may give that one a try. Will look and see what electronics it takes.
Dec 18, 2017, 06:49 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegeorge64
A kit would be good. Want something a bit bigger than a micro that I can get a feel for. And learn on better.
All the CrashTest Hobby kits are excellent , and so are the kits from Twisted Hobbys : https://twistedhobbys.com

Here is my favorite from Twisted Hobbys ( all terrain plane ) : https://twistedhobbys.com/th-39-epp-puddle-star/

Twisted Hobbys 39" EPP Puddle Star (4 min 21 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Dec 18, 2017 at 06:55 PM.
Dec 19, 2017, 05:07 AM
JB Sims
Here's a Pelican I built with my grandson. It was lot's of fun. You'll notice we put wheels on it. They're okay but it's a heck of a lot easier just to crank it up and toss it. It's also a dihedral wing and is real easy to fly.

I do recommend the Albatross though. Bigger plane...easier to track...takes wind a bit better. If you build the "pod" version, it would be a great platform for small video cameras too. Everything on the thread and website that I've read says the "pod" is the way to go. Yep...we just had to mount the motor up front. The profile reminded me of "old timer" planes.

-JB
Jan 04, 2018, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEFlyer
Telemaster. You can make in any size you want.

HObby Express in Franklin TN may be out of business. They aren't showing much of anything available on their website now, which is a good thing, as unsuspecting buyers cannot buy something and pay for it with paypal, only to never receive it and then have to file a claim through paypal to recover there money.

Hopefully someone gets the Telemaster line going again and selling kits. i really wanted one of the new Sr Telemasters. But I waited too long to pull the trigger.

Quick Reply