Nov 18, 2004, 11:33 PM
Thread OP

RB Innovations Supercharger

Has anyone tried one of RB Inoovations' superchargers? If so, how well do they work and are there any negatives to using one?

Thanks, Brian

info at www.rbinnovations.com
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2004, 09:52 PM
r/c driver did a review and got a positive gain everywhere... nothing too insane though.
Matt
Nov 24, 2004, 07:56 AM
I have one for my show savage, all it really gives you is smooth consistent throttle response thru the whole throttle range. Good investment IMHO

Plus they look sick..

Smitty
Feb 10, 2005, 03:15 PM
Is that a second fuel tank pressure line from the charger , does it not go back out the 'exhuast' pressure line instead ? I must be mistaken .
Alike the Nitrous-oxide cream cylinder injectors do you pump the fuel flow to match the extra carb intake ?
This is fastinating !! lets here more about it !
Nov 24, 2006, 12:17 AM
rc transports rule!
well i just got my first glow powered car
it's the himoto saleen running an 18 engine
i'm tempeted to go with the supercharger on it
anything special i should know before i order one and install?
Jan 05, 2009, 03:26 PM
5 years old thread!!!

but anybody has dyno tested RB Innovations superchargers?

i am sure it canīt work, it is impossible than such a small impeller could get any pressure increase with this crank-to-impeller rpm ratio.

I am searching a small supercharger for a high altitude uav airplane. Anybody know any other manufacturer of rc engines superchargers?

Thanks
Jose Luis
Jan 05, 2009, 06:02 PM
rc transports rule!
i decided not to bother with the supercharger in the end
matter of fact, i went clean power
i got more performance by converting to brushless
plus, as a bonus, no more fuel which saves me a fortune in the long run

no flaming, i just decided to go to an alternate power

glenn
Nov 08, 2021, 07:47 PM
Dyno Test of the 1/5th Scale Supercharger by RB Innovations (2 min 59 sec)

They dyno'd one themselves.
Nov 08, 2021, 08:51 PM
guys..I've seen threads where guys mounted these things up and proceded to destroy their engines. Any engine, including rc engines have a safe operating rpm range. Just because you see a vid, like the one I posted earlier where the stock engine maxxed at 12k rpm and supercharged its suddenly running 14k rpm for a second or less and holds together for that second, doesn't mean that same engine in your buggy ro truggy will survive at 14k rpm for a run. Your engines have a safe operating rpm max. DON'T exceed it if you want your engine to live. If you supercharge, you are going to have to figure out how to limit the rpm to that safe maximum. either through engine load like us rc gas flyboys do with prop size, or by throttle servo limit....something. Unless you go through your engine and seriously upgrade the piston, connecting rod, bearings, etc it will not survive a 2k rpm increase over mechanical redline. Adding a supercharger does not change the limits of the engine internals.
Its no different if you supercharge your car...too much boost, too much rpm and you will end up replacing the motor. its that simple.
Every engine built for rc clearly states the safe rpm range for that engine...adhere to it. The benefit of a supercharger on any engine is across the rpm band. you will see gains from just off idle all the way to maximum safe rpm. Will it be the full 30 percernt like in the vid..no, but it will improve the performance. What you must decide for yourself is if that improvement is worth it in the end.
If it were a full scale vehicle with an engine built with being supercharged in mind...sure...but you would still be limited by the mechanical redline of the engine.

with me? Just an old gearheads point of view after reading various threads on this on various forums after people had destroyed their engines.

Yeah, the dyno'd engine above was able to reach 14k rpm with a 1 hp gain supercharged. but no, it would not have survived at that rpm for long...it would have overheated and best case, siezed..worst case, overheated and exploaded like a hand grenade.

To survive at that rpm you'd be looking at stainless steel forged and cnc connecting rod, piston and crank to start. titanium bearings. Nobody makes that stuff for rc engines that I know of. We have to deal with the stock stuff which is usually cast aluminum and machined from there, at best.

So, if you do supercharge your rc..know your engine. know its tested limits from the factory and stay within those limits. outside of em, its gonna get expensive....quick.

Nobody, and I mean, nobody wants to see someone at their rc track or rc field take shrapnel hits from an engine that grenades. You rc dirt guys like to stand right next to the track and watch..bear that in mind.

Now..I dunno how it is with fuel rc cars and gearing. You guys know that part..if you do do this..hopefully you can figure out what to do to keep that engine in its safe zone and happy, supercharged or not.

My two cents. sorry for being long winded. I've been kinda eyeing this to see if an adaptation could be done for scale warbirds flying gas engines so scale props (typically larger than what the biggest engine we can do is capable of) can be used...the benefit of using it in an rc plane is we would be limiting rpm by a bigger propeller size, increasing the engine load lowers the rpm.

An intellectual exercise if you will..I've emailed RB innovations about it..to go to a scale propeller on a 60 cc gas engine would mean a 4 blade prop for most warbirds over a two blade and an increase in prop diamater anaywhere from an inch to an inch and a half. normally aspirated that puts the engine below its safe operating range..supercharged it could very well be at the higher end of its safe operating range.

Interesting question none the less.

Good luck guys... I have an electric buggy...of sorts...was a kit from mancrates..was a ton of fun..runs a brushless on a 1500 mah battery...chassis is all wood..4 wheel drive..was a fun little project for a weekend. I get the itch to get dirty a little....just not my normal cup of tea so to speak.
I bought an 1800 mah for it..sucker hits 40 mph with it..so yeah..ton of fun.
Nov 10, 2021, 05:09 AM
Still gassin' it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmustangflyer
https://youtu.be/3bi5h7Tf2BY

They dyno'd one themselves.
The bolded being the operative word...

I have explained in the engine section why that vid is bogus, how to determine that it is bogus and even given an explanation on how ridiculously easy it is to produce the graphs they show.
Nov 10, 2021, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus

I have explained in the engine section why that vid is bogus, how to determine that it is bogus and even given an explanation on how ridiculously easy it is to produce the graphs they show.
That's why I included the word.
Nov 10, 2021, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Brutus

And yeah, the idea, at least for me has been scrapped.
Whether it works or it don't doesn't matter.

Improving piston profiles, combustion chanbers and making the engines more ifficient could get the same net gain without costing reliability. Most replacement pistons for rc engines that I see are flat top. They do the job, but there's room there for power gains I think.
Just changing the shape of the piston could increase compression, increasing power.
Nov 12, 2021, 05:16 PM
GloBroz PowerLab
Why cross post?

Quick Reply