Skin modeling with foam sheets - Page 3 - RC Groups
Dec 20, 2017, 11:51 AM
Oh!it'was you!Nelson!
I warship you!
I'm too excited that forget to see the info,finally meet some one speak the same language!!
My first depron build just exactly is F-16 when I'm a refresh man,at that time I did the inward curve part with hair dryer that worked out manually ,but some tiny bump pop up.
Recently I try to build similar shape in Su-35,I adapt the same geometry dividing to that part,still feel its hard to deal with the "inward curve" ,concave curve around the hatch without creasing,for tape covering only works for one side, and only for embossing,not work for contrary direction at the same time,but I succeed with hot glue gun ironing on tape covered on both side to bend them outward gradually without significant crease and crack,that's convenient without too many tools and setups.

Have to dig some thing from your blog!

respect and regards

Osern
Last edited by osern; Dec 21, 2017 at 11:07 AM. Reason: poor English
to remove ads between posts
Dec 21, 2017, 01:05 AM
Nice to meet you Osern!

Yes, the F-16 was all hand formed in hot water.

My SU-27 (similar to SU-35) needed to be sanded on the concave portions. I was not able to achieve a satisfactory result with bending. This was built with Fanfold, not depron.

Keep up the good work - your Superhornet looks very nice! I built one too - as a pusher, not EDF.

tn
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Dec 21, 2017 at 01:12 AM.
Dec 21, 2017, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Nelson
Nice to meet you Osern!

Yes, the F-16 was all hand formed in hot water.

My SU-27 (similar to SU-35) needed to be sanded on the concave portions. I was not able to achieve a satisfactory result with bending. This was built with Fanfold, not depron.

Keep up the good work - your Superhornet looks very nice! I built one too - as a pusher, not EDF.

tn
You are a depron guru to me!
Thanks for your F-16 and Su-27 templates sharing,they're perfect!
It requires some skill in depron bending to handle your F-16 work out,the more people learn the more value it got,
Tring to promote this method,if you have better ideas,please share with us,that's exciting!

Osern
Last edited by osern; Jan 12, 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Dec 21, 2017, 03:20 AM

Rolling bare depron boards without tape covering

Depron board can be rolled with rods or some tools to form curve shape like tube without tape covering,you need to roll with right direction and right side on a depron sheet.
There are variant depron products,cut little pieces to test them and to see which sample with specific direction and side that allows the easy bending without cracking,then you'll know how to roll your working piece with right direction and side .

I drew some illustrations to show how they work,I haven't master these skill yet,take those as reference,looking forward better inputs,I can roll with some of these methods to shape perfect round tube like shape,but don't know how to deal with small complex compound curve with right tools yet.

DIY RC Plane Build - Cartoon Fattie (13 min 9 sec)

DutchRC - How to shape foamboard / Dollar Tree Foam (13 min 8 sec)

Making Foamboard Curves (2 min 38 sec)

Foam Rolling How-To (6 min 48 sec)

Bending Depron or EPP with heat gun. (3 min 28 sec)

Forming Depron with Hot Water (8 min 6 sec)

How to bend depron - polyfoam using tape and heat gun (4 min 38 sec)

Bending foam in hot water (2 min 2 sec)

Useful Foam Working Tools (RC)- Part 1 (16 min 27 sec)
Last edited by osern; Dec 28, 2017 at 08:50 PM. Reason: change title and poor English
Dec 21, 2017, 06:03 AM
I may be some time ....
Hello Osern

I was reading your posts before you moved the thread here.

It is always interesting to see new approaches and to be reminded of old ones for manipulating materials.

I might not be tempted to form nosecone or canopy shapes from sheet when I can do that readily by sculpting XPS foam block. But I am interested in ways to form better fuselage skins and to put compound curves into material like Depron. For me, it has plenty potential application in scale flying models even if further finishing is required.

As someone has already said, it would be interesting to see a video how-to based on your manual techniques. And the graphics you have posted today are also very useful.

All the best

Alec
Dec 21, 2017, 08:18 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
I have only used UK based Depron, (I'll refer to it as DepronUK), there are obviously other types of foam available that seem to be more flexible.

The DepronUK foam is quite stiff above about 2mm thick, has a distinct direction where it is easier to roll or curve, (some refer to it as a 'grain'affect, to compare it to balsa grain which will bend or curve easier in one direction).

Anyone contemplating building with foam should try various types untill they find what they like and what is best suitable for the job in hand.

I still use balsa wood as a structural support where needed. In fact I would probably be using balsa in my builds a lot more, but owing to the relatively high price of balsa in the UK, (and me being a cheapskate), I have found DepronUK a very usable and cheaper alternative, especially for larger models.

What ever you use, have a go at building your own models.

Ray.

Some of mine --- http://www.eflightray.x10host.com/
Dec 21, 2017, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balticS2
Hello Osern

I was reading your posts before you moved the thread here.

It is always interesting to see new approaches and to be reminded of old ones for manipulating materials.

I might not be tempted to form nosecone or canopy shapes from sheet when I can do that readily by sculpting XPS foam block. But I am interested in ways to form better fuselage skins and to put compound curves into material like Depron. For me, it has plenty potential application in scale flying models even if further finishing is required.

As someone has already said, it would be interesting to see a video how-to based on your manual techniques. And the graphics you have posted today are also very useful.

All the best

Alec
Hi,Alec,sir

I'm glad that you're interested in this kind of method,I'v been some how frustrated when people don't get the idea about the concept related. That'll be great if I can ever share some thing different with little value for you senior ones,just I'v been contemplating how to express those detail approach done with fingers as a "morphing mold" in video,that could be subtle demonstration with tedious process in a swift building,so I tried to illustrate them with my draws to capture those detail.

I can image it might be too simple that may make you laugh out loud rolling on the floor, but it's true that it can form complex compound shape quickly,maybe it's rough in some standard but you can then do more detail surface finish with mock up entities with your own ways and put in any enforcement materials as you like.

Will you be interested with P-40 miniature building? I'm just planing to make a fellow bird with my P-51,some mini quad motors in hands that would be perfect to utilize them for this chance.

I practice with English texting and you see different stuff,that's a win win situation,hope don't need to speak in English for narrowing S.B.,that might laugh out your teeth.

All the best to you,too
Last edited by osern; Dec 22, 2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: poor English
Dec 21, 2017, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
I have only used UK based Depron, (I'll refer to it as DepronUK), there are obviously other types of foam available that seem to be more flexible.

The DepronUK foam is quite stiff above about 2mm thick, has a distinct direction where it is easier to roll or curve, (some refer to it as a 'grain'affect, to compare it to balsa grain which will bend or curve easier in one direction).

Anyone contemplating building with foam should try various types untill they find what they like and what is best suitable for the job in hand.

I still use balsa wood as a structural support where needed. In fact I would probably be using balsa in my builds a lot more, but owing to the relatively high price of balsa in the UK, (and me being a cheapskate), I have found DepronUK a very usable and cheaper alternative, especially for larger models.

What ever you use, have a go at building your own models.

Ray.

Some of mine --- http://www.eflightray.x10host.com/
Hi,Ray

I checked your website last time after you posted,told you that my stuff are no match to your bigger beauties,I mean that.
I envy you have vast rc fly fields to fly big birds,but you should'v bee suffering from bad weather as much as I ,I call that an even

I'm always wondering how is the way your DepronUK have better quality,as the senior modeler who imported depron from U.K has mentioned that they're better than depron in Taiwan,I think he must referred to the stiffness as your description,but they seemed to be quite flexible in your building,that's really told as truth .

The depron used by the Gemeny young man can be rubbed and rolled with dragging without crack,displaying different characteristic from depron in Taiwan.I tried his method,they can be bent but can't bear with tension stress and then crack up,that might be that I'm not getting into the trick,but the Gemeny young man did it fluently that I doubt that he is using different depron,it's a mystery.

You know,the force to push me utilizing different material and try to build simple is for that I crash too frequently in bad fly environment with too many obstacles ,I fix and rebuild often that I gradually develop into this building method.
To tell the truth,I like balsa building,too,although I'm not start to build one,but I love the way they model just like to build a real airplane with ribs and skins,that can be enjoyable although they take much more time.

I bothered some senior balsa models on RCG asking this asking that,they are fantastic with christmas to me.hope to learn some with you,too.

have a nice day

Osern
Last edited by osern; Dec 22, 2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: poor English texting
Dec 23, 2017, 09:08 AM

New technique discovered

Merry Christmas to everyone!

I discovered a new method to "heat mold" the concave curve with hot glue gun tip ironing on tape covered surface,it can deal with the double S-curve for inlet bracelet which is pretty difficult for molding and manual sculpture and sanding from a thick foam into shape like blade thin,

I'v filmed some raw clips,just wait for editing.sorry that can't post them before Xmas holiday,It'll be posted on Christmas Monday when I go to work and uploading them with fast TANET.
just wait and see.
Last edited by osern; Dec 28, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
Dec 24, 2017, 09:23 PM

Merry Christmas

Effective and clean without all those complex setup and tools
No soft wares required.
No mold needed.
No much sanding and sparkle dust around.
Easy to fix and build.

Skin Modeling with Depron foam board on P40 scratch building (6 min 19 sec)
Last edited by osern; Dec 28, 2017 at 09:12 PM.
Dec 25, 2017, 12:10 AM

Alternative Depron

No More Depron RC Foam, Don't worry! (12 min 22 sec)

Flite Test - Model Plane Foam - MPF EPF (1 min 34 sec)

Dollar Tree Foam Board (6 min 13 sec)
Last edited by osern; Dec 28, 2017 at 08:32 PM.
Dec 26, 2017, 11:58 PM
There are some shared templates with almost one piece stencil to build slick models,some modified from paper models templates with slightly simplified,they are always not available for who don't use this trick,they should be spread out widely for their effort on that.

Below are some test templates in early time that I attempted to fold SU-35 as one piece as possible, damping shield template was missed but easy to fill up,I test them with paper modeling that turn out with good result,with new tape bound-heat plastic method for concave surface shaping,it should be easier for foam sheets.

Making Template Plans - Quick Tip | Flite Test (3 min 51 sec)
Last edited by osern; Dec 28, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Dec 27, 2017, 04:12 AM
Many thanks for your sharing, what a great job you did !

I'd like to also add reinforcements to the depron fuselage and wings inside.

Chen
Dec 27, 2017, 07:46 AM
Thanks,Chen
I would use CF rods or stirrer sticks for enforcement,for motor mount base of firewall I use high density EVA foam(for mobile phone packing box) .
I build this for micro electrons that is light for minor crash,it's stiff enough for AUW at 168g or so,with tapered surface it can be fixed with hot glue gun heat resonating easily,that's a huge advantage that people don't aware of yet.

Osern
Last edited by osern; Jan 12, 2018 at 07:10 PM.
Dec 28, 2017, 05:50 PM
I may be some time ....
Hey Osern

Enjoyed your video; thanks for putting it together.

Looks a lot of fun, but I think a fair bit of creative talent is needed as well as process. But well worth a go, particularly when there is negligible materials cost. I will definitely try it out.

All the best

Alec

Quick Reply