Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 18, 2018, 04:47 PM
Service Engine Soon
Thanks Dave and LASS crew. Its been a couple years visiting PA and the Polecat spirit is still there. I was hoping Denny would even stop by. I liked the format with two days of F5J and yes even ALES at 150m was fun also. I made a few mistakes but for the most part was happy with my performance. I was prepared to fly in the wind with" Old Betsy" my trusted 4m X1. It's very heavy at 90 oz unballasted and has a huge motor running 6s lipo. It was fun to go full throttle up wind and catch the wave thing about a mile out. The thing actually got faster and faster holding the throttle full for the thirty seconds and at the end it was getting squirrely to fly. I did fly my F5J Xplorer also at the end of the day Thursday and end of the day prelims Friday when the winds calmed some. I had to break out the Volo for the flyoff as I knew the only way to beat Oleg was to go all in. I was very pleased with the performance and really only made one mistake on the first flight by taking a high launch of 209m. I went to exactly the right place but just choked and hit full throttle in the last five seconds giving me an extra 50m.
Three washers and first place in ALES was in reach Saturday. Stupid me I was going to put them between the spinner and fire wall and looked for some at the Hardware store but could not find the right size. I didn't think about it anymore after that and I had been flying the Volo with no problems. But guess the Sod field was a little harder and I was trying a little harder and must have dorked landed a little harder, jamming the spinner into the fire wall. All it would have taken to fix was to pull the spinner out by hand before the flight, two seconds. But no big deal life goes on and only disappointed in taking the short cut.
Count me in for next year,
Off to the RI contest end of this month for the first time.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2018, 06:39 PM
Soaring Nut

I Survived 2018 Polecat F5J Windfest!

Wow, what an interesting 4 days of flying. Conditions varying from 18+ mph winds to dead calm - dead air to big boomers. I learned a lot and suffered fairly minor damage in the process. Great to rub shoulders with such a fun and talented group of flyers. Thanks much to the Dave, Tim, Carl, and the LASS crew for keeping the Polecat tradition going. Already looking forward to next year.
Jun 19, 2018, 10:54 PM
A big thank you to Dave and the rest of the LASS club and volunteers who all worked hard to bring this event together! The effort and preparation really showed as everything ran smoothly and the quality of competition was very high. It was a lot of fun to see old friends and make some new ones, and I hope I can make the trip back next year with the rest of the Michigan crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
Congratulations to all and especially James with his scratch built SynerJ model. Long live scratch builders!

Curtis
Thanks Curtis! Long live scratch builders!
Jun 20, 2018, 05:43 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J USA Tour standings updated

The 2018 Tour standings have been updated and are available on the F5J-USA website here. This posting includes the Polecat F5J. You can also view a horizontally scrollable version of the season standings at this link.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Jun 20, 2018, 09:44 PM

A Big Thank You to All

I would like to give a big "Thank You" to Dave and all those who helped in the 2018 Polecat. I had a great time flying my Radian and I'm sure I was the pilot who had the most fun per $ spent on his airplane. I've looked forward to the Polecat over the last few year, and hope to be able to return again next year.

I see that I even managed to score over 900 points in each of 5 of the rounds!

Harvey Cohen
Last edited by toothtime; Jun 20, 2018 at 09:53 PM. Reason: adding to my post
Jun 21, 2018, 02:33 PM
F5J Regulation rounds and F5J Fly-off rounds.

Dave R.
Jun 23, 2018, 09:02 AM
Good for what ALES you
Lori and I are heading home today from an amazing trip. Along with many days visiting the Lancaster countryside, from covered bridges and chocolate factories to historical homes, we were able to spend two days in Philadelphia where we saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross' house, and the truly amazing Museum of Art. What a treasure.

We did a few short trips back to the flying sight but still no sign of my old Explorer. Tuesday we went to the Roots market and put up a few signs and talked to more of the neighbors. I covered a lot of area, but there are still lots of trees, and fields it could be hiding in. I think this was that plane's third or fourth visit here and it decided to stay a while longer. Who can blame it.

Already looking forward to next Father's Day.
Jun 23, 2018, 11:15 AM
Cripes Aric, you need to stop leaving bits and pieces at remote locations where you fly!!! At least this one wasn't organic.

JT
Jun 23, 2018, 03:08 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
Cripes Aric, you need to stop leaving bits and pieces at remote locations where you fly!!! At least this one wasn't organic.

JT
LOL (literally).

An Explorer is organic. At least, an appendix and an Xplorer are both carbon based.

--
Greg
Jun 23, 2018, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
LOL (literally).

An Explorer is organic. At least, an appendix and an Xplorer are both carbon based.

--
Greg
Explorer is carbon based, inorganic carbon!! Just sayin'...
Jun 23, 2018, 09:03 PM