Dec 16, 2017, 07:57 PM
Contest

2018 Polecat F5J and ALES

Announcing the 2018 Polecat F5J and ALES contests sponsored by the Lancaster Area Soaring Society.

We have expanded to a 4 day event this year. There will be 2 days of F5J and 2 days of ALES competition.

The event will be held June 14, 15, 16, and 17, 2018 at the LASS field in Manheim, PA. Our field is a sports turf farm with acres of manicured grass. Those who attended last year know the field and we hope you can make the trip again this year!

This year, the F5J contest will be an F5J USA Tour event. We will follow FAI rules but in keeping with other venues, we will allow the emergency motor restart in exchange for a zero flight. Unlike last year, approved AMRTs will be required. The F5J contest will be held Thursday, June 14 and Friday, June 15, 2018 and is a combined 2 day event. Regulation round scores will be used to determine fly-off pilots but regulation round points will not be carried into the fly-offs. We will have fly-offs on Friday. Awards to those who make the fly-offs.

Approved Altimeters:
Aerobtec: Altis v3, Altis Micro Device Terminal, Altis v4, Altis v4+, Altis Nano
Greek Electronics: ALTMR2 AMRT
Jeti: Mvario2 Ex F5J, JetiBox
SM Modellbau: Unilog 2, UniDisplay
Soaring Circuits: CAMF5J
RC Electronics: #2 Basic FXJ Card Reader, Multi 2, Multi 3

The ALES contest will be held Saturday, June 16 and Sunday, June 17, 2018. Awards will be to 3rd place each day and to 10th place overall. This is an Eastern Soaring League contest so there will be 1st through 3rd Expert and 1st through 3rd Sportsman plaque inserts awarded on Saturday and Sunday.

60 pilot limit

Who's Coming: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

Contest Directors for all 4 days will be Dave Reisinger and Fred Maier.

Cost is $50.00 for F5J and $50.00 for ALES. If you are flying both contests, the cost will be $80.00 for all 4 days.

Please note: You will need to present a current AMA/MAAC card when you register for the event.

There will be a food vendor on site. We will supply drinking water. There is a possibility of food onsite on a donation basis.
There will be coffee and donuts on Saturday and Sunday.

The field street address is 534 Graystone Road, Manheim, PA 17545.

Pilots meeting will be 8:30 on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and 8:00 on Sunday.

Camping will be permitted but no open fires. RV's and campers permitted but no hookups.

Please post any questions on this thread.

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by dreisinger; Jun 01, 2018 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2017, 05:11 AM
turn, turn, turn.
You can look for Nick and I to show up this year. We will fly competitively the entire year... hopefully.
Dec 17, 2017, 07:09 AM
So how do we see who and how many have signed up?
Any Limit?
Dec 17, 2017, 08:56 AM
Dave, any open flying available Thurs/Fri, or site reserved solely for 5J?

JT
Dec 17, 2017, 09:18 AM
Pilot Roster: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk
Dec 17, 2017, 09:18 AM
Oleg Golovidov
This may sound "non-traditional" but I would love to have F5J on Sat-Sun instead of Thu-Fri
That would increase my chances of attending.
Dec 17, 2017, 09:21 AM
Hi Kerry,

I have posted the roster above. Yes, there is a 60 pilot limit, same as last year.
Thanks for reminding me! I have edited Post 1.

Dave R.
Dec 17, 2017, 09:38 AM
Thermal Hunter
Hope to see all in June !
Dec 17, 2017, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
This may sound "non-traditional" but I would love to have F5J on Sat-Sun instead of Thu-Fri
That would increase my chances of attending.
And pretty much guarantee I wouldn't attend.

JT
Dec 17, 2017, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5
Dave, any open flying available Thurs/Fri, or site reserved solely for 5J?

JT
Hi Jim,

There will be open flying available on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday and Friday but not until the J contest is done for the day. Since I hope to have the first group in the air at 9:00, we should be done by 4:00 each day. We'll be a week away from the Solstice so there should be plenty of daylight left each day.

We'll make an announcement each day and let everyone know when the field is available for open flying. It is a large field but we would rather not have too many planes in the air at the same time. I'm reminded of this year's Nats when we had J guys who launched at Site 5 thermalling over Site 4 during ALES and some mid-airs occurred. I looked out and saw 8 ALES pilots on the field and more than 8 planes overhead and figured this may not end well.

We'll try our best to accommodate everyone's needs. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Dave R.
Dec 17, 2017, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
You can look for Nick and I to show up this year. We will fly competitively the entire year... hopefully.
HI Kenny,

Glad to hear from you!! We missed the double threat at the Polecat the last few years. It will be really nice to see you guys again. Plan on doing any handlaunch this year?

See you in June if not before.

Dave R.
Dec 17, 2017, 02:30 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
HI Kenny,

Glad to hear from you!! We missed the double threat at the Polecat the last few years. It will be really nice to see you guys again. Plan on doing any handlaunch this year?

See you in June if not before.

Dave R.
We missed you guys too!
We'll try hand launch, F5J, and ALES this year.
Dec 17, 2017, 02:37 PM
Guys, I do not do Google, how do I enter if I decide to?

Marc
Dec 17, 2017, 03:37 PM
Marc,

Just post on this thread with your info and I'll gladly add you.

Dave R.
Dec 17, 2017, 07:50 PM
Thanks Dave, checking for approval.

Marc

Quick Reply