Don't fly with a dirty receiver! - RC Groups
Dec 15, 2017, 01:34 PM
Careful!

Don't fly with a dirty receiver!

Sometimes we get things in for repair that make us chuckle. I thought I would share this recent one...

We had a customer report to us that when squeezing on sides of their 10 channel receiver that it would power off and on randomly. I asked them to send it in for a repair/replacement.

It arrived today and I tested the receiver. I couldn't get it to fail no matter what I did. I set it aside to change the case which had been damaged in an apparent crash. I grabbed the receiver, plugged it in and saw it intermittently rebooting. Interesting, I thought.. I guess the customer is not crazy after all! So, I unscrewed the case halves and below is what I found. There is a piece of rock (along with lots of dirt particles). That rock is conductive (iron). It just so happens to have been caught between the case and the solder joints (which nearly touch the case). Moving the case was just enough to short two solder joints and cause a reboot.

So, the moral of the story is if you crash and your receiver is dirty, take it apart and clean out the case! This customer got a new case and cleaning of the board and pins.
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 15, 2017 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply