Dec 15, 2017, 11:43 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Horus and Taranis firmware

Until further notice, DO NOT upgrade your Horus X10, X10S, or X12S firmware if you are using a XPS JR module with XJT mode. Also, do not upgrade to OpenTx v2.2.0 or later if you are using a Taranis.

It seems that with the Horus transmitters the updated FrSky firmware is checking for their module and deliberately not allowing 3rd party modules to work. OpenTx v2.2.0 has made some change to the XJT protocol that doesn't work with our JR module in XJT mode.

I have ordered an external FrSky XJT module and some receivers for testing my theory with the Horus. I plan to update our Taranis with the latest OpenTx that has been reported not to work to see what the difference is.

One thing to note about the Horus X10S. When it arrived it had v1.1.02 firmware on it. I upgraded it to v1.1.04 and it no longer outputs a XJT signal. I then put the original v1.1.02 firmware on it and it still doesn't output a XJT signal. So, don't experiment if you want to use our existing JR module, until I have figured this out!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2017, 08:42 PM

Not panicking yet

Waiting on delivery of a Taranis, just hope that it isn't supplied with the upgrade to 2.2.
If only we had the long awaited Tx, but I am too close to falling off the perch to wait any longer, so just put up with the hassles.
Dirty tricks or protecting their investments? FrSky dirty tricks for mine.
Dec 28, 2017, 08:10 PM

Upgrades

Jim,
Any more news yet about the upgrade to 2.2 on Taranis?
Dec 29, 2017, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
I got a XJT module and found that it works with the X10S transmitter I have. The Horus firmware does not output frames, instead it outputs a continuous stream of data. It is going to be a nightmare to get that to work with our module. The OpenTx firmware does output frames and will work once I fix the code to support the change that was made to the XJT protocol between 2.1 and 2.2 for the OpenTx firmware. I am extremely busy preparing for AMA, checking the new X10+ boards, and making some firmware changes to the X24. So, it's going to be a bit before a fix is released. You can run any version firmware on the Taranis you like. So, if it does come with v2.2 you can always downgrade it to v2.1x until the fix is released.
Jun 01, 2018, 03:39 AM
What is XJT mode, I tried a XPS module in my Horus and it seems to bind to my receivers ok with firmware 1.4.04, can you explain what XJT mode is!
Jun 01, 2018, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
It is the mode to support the external module XJT D16 mode with OpenTx (only). You have to put our transmitter module into XJT mode, and then set your model so it uses the external module set to XJT D16. Turn the internal RF to OFF?
Jan 04, 2019, 06:50 PM
With no new posts on this subject since June 2018, can we assume that this issue has been resolved?
Jan 04, 2019, 07:52 PM

Taranis compatibility

Jim says Yes.
Haven't flown with the upgrade to 2.2 yet, but it works fine on the bench.
Jan 04, 2019, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Yes, this was fixed in May of 2018.
Jan 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
Thanks Jim
Based on the fix, I have ultimately decided to move to an X10S radio and adding your JR module so that I can continue to fly the XPS receivers and X10+'s that I have.
I'll likely migrate to all Frsky in the near future, but at least I'm not having to change out all my receivers right away.

It's a shame the XPS3216 couldn't have been introduced by now as I regretfully (gradually) move away from the XPS platform.
Jan 22, 2019, 10:45 AM
Thread OP
Ironically, since the release of the Horus radios we sold more JR modules in 2018 than we did in the previous 2 or so years. It seems that a lot of FrSky owners are moving to the XPS receivers because of their range, size, and super low voltage operation.
Jan 23, 2019, 12:30 AM
I too am regretfully moving away from the XPS system because it now is only operational with the open TX, Taranis and Horus transmitters. Don't want to do that but have no choice,

Bought a Taranis, kept it for ten days while I tried to program it and sold it

Bought a RadioLink which programs exactly the same as my Futaba 10TCAP so no learning curve, but no XPS either.
Shame
Jan 23, 2019, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
There is always our Universal Module... that works with any radio that has a trainer port.
Jan 24, 2019, 06:23 AM
Hi Jim,
I am eager to see if these 27 receivers you upgraded for me now work with my Horus.

Regards from Graeme Marion in Sunny Queensland.
Jan 24, 2019, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
All versions of all receivers work with all versions of our transmitter modules. I think you might have a transmitter side issue.

Quick Reply