Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 15, 2017, 08:09 AM
Glider Guider
Discussion

My FrSky SP-40A ruined one of my LiPo packs.

I found out the hard way that my FrSky SP-40A Smart Port 40 Amp Sensor draws about 15 ma of current when a 3S LiPo battery is plugged into it, even when nothing is connected to the output side and the normally flashing red LED is dark. A couple of days ago I left a 3S pack in one of my models, connected to the SP-40A input side but with the ESC disconnected from the SP-40A output side, and I just discovered that it had been drained to 1.9 volts and is presumably destroyed.

The bottom line: You can turn your model off by disconnecting the ESC from the SP-40A output, but don't leave it that way or the SP-40A will slowly discharge your battery.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2017, 04:18 AM
Thanks for sharing your personal experience Mike. But that is clearly mentioned in the manual:

Specifications
Dimension: 61.2×16.7×13.2mm                     We ight: 17g
Measurement range: 0~40A                          Current consumption: 25mA@5V
Maximum safe current: 40A                            Maximum battery voltage: 6S
Compatibility: FrSky Smart Port enabled receivers,  such as X8R, X6R, X4R, etc.

Regards and have a safe flights !!
Dec 16, 2017, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel4o
Thanks for sharing your personal experience Mike. But that is clearly mentioned in the manual:

Specifications
Dimension: 61.2×16.7×13.2mm                     We ight: 17g
Measurement range: 0~40A                          Current consumption: 25mA@5V
Maximum safe current: 40A                            Maximum battery voltage: 6S
Compatibility: FrSky Smart Port enabled receivers,  such as X8R, X6R, X4R, etc.

Regards and have a safe flights !!
Err. No!
That says "at 5 volts" so that would be the consumption on the SPort side.
That device has two microprocessor systems , one powered from the battery connection and the other powered from the SPort connection. The two are optically coupled for isolation.
It doesn't show the consumption from the battery connection side.
Dec 17, 2017, 05:30 PM
Glider Guider
I guess FrSky doesn't warn people about that, but now I did.

Quick Reply