ImpulseRC Reverb Freestyle Frame - Page 15 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jan 11, 2018, 08:06 AM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusNectar
Why do you say that the damage is because of the single standoff? Do you think if it was an Alien, it would have escaped unscathed? It sounds like when your hardware failed, it had a fairly lengthy, uncontrolled return to the ground, landing battery side down.
Regardless of how he crashed, he's got a point about a weak spot in the top plate because of the unsupported length . Did he happen to hit something solid right at that spot when his momentum was at it's peak? I doubt even he knows completely, but the end of the day he's found where the top plate is most likely to fail. Having said that, everything breaks, especially when it's used by such a wide range of experience level users. I wouldn't take one crash and one top plate breaking as an indication that the frame is flawed. Given how many people worked on the frame and the company (and predecessors) behind it, it's probably one of the stoutest frames currently available.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2018, 06:09 PM
Warpsquid
It's always a shame to see broken frames at any time, I'm really sorry to hear it didn't last longer for you.

However I've a firm believer that you can't draw any conclusions at all from a single crash report. Following that mentality in the design process of a frame can lead you to chase things and compromise the design in other ways trying to fix what was an isolated event. The goal for me is certainly not to try to make a frame which never breaks!

I would be the very last person to say that it's perfect or that there isn't places we will find where it can be improved, but in this case it's one person breaking something in one specific crash and you can't really use that to comment on the design. Especially so in a dead stick that was hard enough to write off a battery.

Just to offer a direct comparison, I took a quick snap with a 5" Alien and attached it below. You can see that in the front section of the frame the supported area is pretty much the same as on an Alien. Actually if you look at the span of top plate above where the electronics sits you can see the unsupported section there is significantly less.

Only time will tell where the weak spots are. We can do endless in house testing with our staff and pilots but that will never really be the same as getting few thousand of them out in the world and having the benefit of that much larger sample size. Jury is still out in my mind and will be for a little while longer
Jan 12, 2018, 10:27 AM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Hey.. i dont care if the topplate broke.. i just bought me one more reverb and a spare topplate, i guess since i got blind because off the mrsteel pdb died i cant tell where the quad landed, but i know i did not bend a Propell and dont even destroyed something else but one thunderpower lipo and one topp plate.. and ofc the steel pdb.. but after 15 dead stick with my alien 4.5 amd alien 5 i did not get a topplate damage.. but hey tjis is fpv.. lol i now have 4 impulse rc frames bought in this last 4 weeks.. so i guess i like the product.!
But i neeed the new pdb ...
Jan 12, 2018, 02:18 PM
IG: nectar.collector
OpusNectar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrloseth
Hey.. i dont care if the topplate broke.. i just bought me one more reverb and a spare topplate, i guess since i got blind because off the mrsteel pdb died i cant tell where the quad landed, but i know i did not bend a Propell and dont even destroyed something else but one thunderpower lipo and one topp plate.. and ofc the steel pdb.. but after 15 dead stick with my alien 4.5 amd alien 5 i did not get a topplate damage.. but hey tjis is fpv.. lol i now have 4 impulse rc frames bought in this last 4 weeks.. so i guess i like the product.!
But i neeed the new pdb ...
Sounds like it landed completely on the Lipo. I guess I'd prefer a crash like that than one that say, takes out an arm and a few motors. Losing an expensive battery hurts too though
Jan 12, 2018, 11:17 PM
Registered User
I just don't get that many dead stick failsafes. I assume that's what you're referring to when you say dead stick. I have had maybe 3 or 4 over a 3 year period and I fly several times a week. I do go through the extra trouble to setup my RX antennas away from the carbon and in a 90 degree angle by using shrink tube and zip ties off the middle and rear standoff. This is using a taranis X9D with either X4Rsb, XM+, XSR, or R-XSR. All seem to work near flawlessly. 15 dead stick events is a lot on a new built frame that hasn't been out long.
Jan 13, 2018, 02:23 AM
Registered User
ronnw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyprice44
I just don't get that many dead stick failsafes. I assume that's what you're referring to when you say dead stick. I have had maybe 3 or 4 over a 3 year period and I fly several times a week. I do go through the extra trouble to setup my RX antennas away from the carbon and in a 90 degree angle by using shrink tube and zip ties off the middle and rear standoff. This is using a taranis X9D with either X4Rsb, XM+, XSR, or R-XSR. All seem to work near flawlessly. 15 dead stick events is a lot on a new built frame that hasn't been out long.
Definitely, in fact I've never had a fail safe using my Taranis X9D with X4rSB and XM+ RXs...
Jan 13, 2018, 03:02 AM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyprice44
I just don't get that many dead stick failsafes. I assume that's what you're referring to when you say dead stick. I have had maybe 3 or 4 over a 3 year period and I fly several times a week. I do go through the extra trouble to setup my RX antennas away from the carbon and in a 90 degree angle by using shrink tube and zip ties off the middle and rear standoff. This is using a taranis X9D with either X4Rsb, XM+, XSR, or R-XSR. All seem to work near flawlessly. 15 dead stick events is a lot on a new built frame that hasn't been out long.
The problem with the setup has been from
Kiss, they hade a fault in fw that suddenly gave us ded stick. Dead duck! But that is fixed now from developer
Jan 13, 2018, 03:05 AM
Registered User
Mrloseth's Avatar
Impulse rc all the way
Jan 13, 2018, 07:08 AM
Registered User
Oh, I see. I wasn't aware of the problem with KISS because I fly betaflight. Was thinking of trying a KISS build but, I might as well stick with what works for me.
Jan 13, 2018, 08:35 AM
Warpsquid
Bear in mind I'm incorrectly using the term dead stick to also include crashes from loss of video, where you essentially just have to disarm and let it drop. Different cause but same effect I suppose

Work on the new PDB is still progressing pretty quickly, I think I can speak for all three of us (Alex, Andrew and myself) when I say we are putting in a lot of hours to make this happen!

We just recently realised that we are pretty much getting to the end of the space in the F0 chip we initially chose and there are still quite a few features we have on the drawing board. Because of the way the STM32 family works we've just been doing some experiments and have managed to basically do a brain transplant and put an F3 on the same board. There will be some very minor changes required to the hardware but it's going to really free us up to add all the stuff we have planned.

I've been working on it most of this evening and am now quite confident the brain transplant is working as we had hoped. The next step is to make the required PCB revisions and order some more sample PCBs for the developers and also get some of them out to testers too. Hopefully this is the last revision and the next step will be production samples
Jan 13, 2018, 02:39 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
Bear in mind I'm incorrectly using the term dead stick to also include crashes from loss of video, where you essentially just have to disarm and let it drop. Different cause but same effect I suppose

Work on the new PDB is still progressing pretty quickly, I think I can speak for all three of us (Alex, Andrew and myself) when I say we are putting in a lot of hours to make this happen!

We just recently realised that we are pretty much getting to the end of the space in the F0 chip we initially chose and there are still quite a few features we have on the drawing board. Because of the way the STM32 family works we've just been doing some experiments and have managed to basically do a brain transplant and put an F3 on the same board. There will be some very minor changes required to the hardware but it's going to really free us up to add all the stuff we have planned.

I've been working on it most of this evening and am now quite confident the brain transplant is working as we had hoped. The next step is to make the required PCB revisions and order some more sample PCBs for the developers and also get some of them out to testers too. Hopefully this is the last revision and the next step will be production samples
I cant wait. It's strange to think that a couple of years ago we thought it was perhaps unnecessary to have an F3 for flight control - after all, F1 did just fine. Now we're getting to where we need an F3 just for the OSD/PDB. ;-)

My Reverb kit is sitting on the bench partially assembled. The stock PDB is just sitting there, but I can't bring myself to solder it in if the new PDB will be available soon. Ahhh, the stresses of modern-day life.
Jan 13, 2018, 02:50 PM
Registered User
ronnw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
Bear in mind I'm incorrectly using the term dead stick to also include crashes from loss of video, where you essentially just have to disarm and let it drop. Different cause but same effect I suppose

Work on the new PDB is still progressing pretty quickly, I think I can speak for all three of us (Alex, Andrew and myself) when I say we are putting in a lot of hours to make this happen!

We just recently realised that we are pretty much getting to the end of the space in the F0 chip we initially chose and there are still quite a few features we have on the drawing board. Because of the way the STM32 family works we've just been doing some experiments and have managed to basically do a brain transplant and put an F3 on the same board. There will be some very minor changes required to the hardware but it's going to really free us up to add all the stuff we have planned.

I've been working on it most of this evening and am now quite confident the brain transplant is working as we had hoped. The next step is to make the required PCB revisions and order some more sample PCBs for the developers and also get some of them out to testers too. Hopefully this is the last revision and the next step will be production samples
Sounds like things are moving right along. If you need any help testing please let me know, would love to put this on my new Kiss FCV2 and 32A ESC build
Jan 15, 2018, 02:42 AM
Warpsquid
Thanks guys! To be honest we don't really need to extra speed of the F3 chip, just the extra flash space so we can keep adding features
Jan 15, 2018, 05:25 AM
Registered User
overbybr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse RC
Thanks guys! To be honest we don't really need to extra speed of the F3 chip, just the extra flash space so we can keep adding features
Color OSD?
Jan 15, 2018, 09:49 AM
Registered User
ronnw's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbybr
Color OSD?
This is something I was also thinking they might bring to the table this time.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product ImpulseRC - Alien FPV Frames Soma Mini Multirotor Drones 18147 Today 08:58 PM
New Product Xhover Element Mini Freestyle frame xhover Mini Multirotor Drones 37 Mar 19, 2017 10:54 PM
New Product 'The Shiv' FPV Freestyle Frame Drone Eclipse Mini Multirotor Drones 121 Mar 12, 2017 06:21 PM
Discussion What freestyle/racing frame should I get? kobe_cantin FPV Racing 10 Mar 08, 2016 04:25 AM