Dec 21, 2017, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Jetman is going to be a hoot. I hope to have the SE5a flying in a couple of weeks. But that all depends on how much I get to work on it. Here is all that I got acomplished today. You can see it is big. The Pepsi can on the top is just for size. I have to wait for the cables to come in before I can do the wing rigging. Will work on other things while I wait. Got the front cowling, engine mount, landing gear, and a whole lot of other things to do. Need to get at it.

Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2017, 08:50 PM
I think these big foam WW1 are appealing when finished nicely.. they just build to fast ! You could bury yourself in airplanes in a hurry !
Dec 24, 2017, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitscratchfevr
I think these big foam WW1 are appealing when finished nicely.. they just build to fast ! You could bury yourself in airplanes in a hurry !
You sure can. I don't have anymore room now. Had a couple more projects I wanted to build this winter. Now I guess I will have to work on the Ultralight.

I got a little more done on it. Got the flying wires on the wings and they are attached. Still have some more to do the the N-Struts, and the rigging on the landing gear and fusalage. The engine, cowl, and the electronics. I am going to fly it before I go to the trouble painting and all the finish work. If it flys I will go crazy as I can dressing it up. Paint, guns, pilot, you get the idea.
I can say for sure this is one of the easyest building methods I have ever tried. And the least expensive. I have built this one so far and only bought glue, and the rigging cable. I got enough of that to build at least 3 more for $9.00 shipped from McMaster Carr. Everything else I had here. Even if you had to buy the stuff. The airframe can be built for no more then $50.00 including paint. This is going to be the least stressfull maiden ever.
Here is what it looks like right now.
Dec 25, 2017, 01:02 PM
The plane is looking great!

What ultralight do you have? I'm currently flying a 75% replica Eindecker E-III. Rotax 503 engine.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Dec 25, 2017, 02:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Now that's NICE!!!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Dec 25, 2017, 07:46 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc
The plane is looking great!

What ultralight do you have? I'm currently flying a 75% replica Eindecker E-III. Rotax 503 engine.
I just bought an Affordaplane project. It is going to have either a 1/2 VW or a Vtwin Briggs type engine. Not sure yet. Will make up my mind when I get the plane ready for the engine. I had a 503 on the Challenger that I sold last year. Kind of wish I hadn't sold that one.
Talking about a great looking plane. I love your Eindecker.
Dec 26, 2017, 11:59 PM
Hey Jimmy, can I fly your affordaplane when it is ready to fly? Personally, I would go with the 1/2 VW.
Wayne
Dec 27, 2017, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvie6
Hey Jimmy, can I fly your affordaplane when it is ready to fly? Personally, I would go with the 1/2 VW.
Wayne
Sure. I like them Vdubs, but I think the Vtwin is a little more dependable. And a lot cheaper. Parts are available everywhere. I have a lot of reasons to go with the Vtwin.

Didn't get anything done on the SE5a today. I have family in for the week. Will not get to work on it till next week.
Dec 27, 2017, 09:40 AM
A friend has an Eindecker like mine with a Valley Engineering Big Twin engine. He really likes it.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Dec 28, 2017, 06:12 PM
Oh man Charlie told me to hurry and get started on my foam SE5a and sent me a link to this thread. Now I see what he means!
Lookin' good man! What's the wingspan gonna be ? Have you estimated a overall weight yet? I was planning on about 28% for my SE5a.
Dec 28, 2017, 09:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwwcp
Oh man Charlie told me to hurry and get started on my foam SE5a and sent me a link to this thread. Now I see what he means!
Lookin' good man! What's the wingspan gonna be ? Have you estimated a overall weight yet? I was planning on about 28% for my SE5a.
I just measured the wing it is 87.75 inches. Not sure about the weight. But it is not going to be real heavy. I have not scales to weigh it. This is the first time I have built using this tech. I love it. The easyest way to build yet. It will never replace a balsa build for a real scale. But for a scale every day plane you would be hard pressed to beat it.
I set this one beside my 1/3 scale FlyBaby Bipe and it is the same size. I don't know why we have not been doing this for years. If you start on yours posst it here or start a new thread. Just let us watch the build if you don't mind.
Jimmy
Dec 29, 2017, 09:33 AM
I agree.. Any new builds post them !

I love Balsa built planes. But these are fun builds to watch.. And the old biplane designs seem to look very good when finished ..
Dec 29, 2017, 10:15 AM
circle flyer
I got my major pieces cut out from radfordc plans in his thread. I'm making a 1/5 SE5A from 1/2" foamboard, 70" wingspan.

Larry
Dec 29, 2017, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Great, what are you going to power it with? Keep posting for us if you don't mind. I would like to see a lot of builds using this method.
Dec 29, 2017, 10:34 PM
Mac I didn't see how you tied your hood cabanes into the fuse.. but if you have that good and strong it should work... There is no doubt with the foam build the hard points and cable will be the key to being strong enough... just like the full scale

Quick Reply