Dec 14, 2017, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

FOAM BOARD SE5a

This is not going to be a very long build log. I got the idea from radfordc's thread (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Board-Triplane on his Foam Board Triplane). After seeing it I just had to try one. If this works out it has to be the cheapest way to fly large scale planes. And as I am finding out it is a very easy way to build. So far the only thing I have had to buy is the glue. Using white Gorilla Glue. I find it to work very well on the foam. It only took one evening to rough cut all the major parts from the foam. I found a sheet of 3/4 inch blue foam in the barn. It is a little rough but it will work.
radfordc posted a drawing of a 3/4 SE5a on his thread and that is what I am using for this plane. Going to power it with a 50cc flat twin, or if that is too big a Evolution 33cc single.

So far so good.
Last edited by mac2286; Dec 15, 2017 at 09:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2017, 09:02 PM
Thread OP

next

It is starting to look like an airplane. I really like working with the foam. I have made a lot of the foam board planes. But I think this is going to be the next step for a lot of people. It is very easy to work with and it looks like it is going to make a good looking plane. The first pic is setting the fusalage formers. You can see the Ply I am using to beef up the forward section.
Dec 15, 2017, 09:07 PM
Thread OP
I made the top of the turtle deck out of 6mm foam board. Here is the front set in location. Will glue and make hatches a little later. Also got the tail feathers roughed out and mocked up.
Dec 16, 2017, 09:45 AM
Nice work...I like it!
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Dec 19, 2017, 07:12 PM
Another plane that would be a good candidate for this building technique would be the Sopwith triplane..

Its good to see this SE5a underway... I will enjoy watching the progress.
Dec 19, 2017, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitscratchfevr
Another plane that would be a good candidate for this building technique would be the Sopwith triplane..

Its good to see this SE5a underway... I will enjoy watching the progress.
You are right the Sopwith triplane would be perfect for this building method.

I got a little more done on the SE5a today. Got the formers glued in, the tail group glued on, the bottom glued in, The firewall mounted, the fusalage cabanes glued in. This thing is going to be huge. The wings need the rear spares glued in and they will be ready to mount. I need to order some cable for the rigging. Not sure where to get it at. Anyone know where to find small cable for the rigging I sure would like to know. Something in the .020 range I think would do. I had some .018 control line cable but for the life of me i can't find it.

Next is build the landing gear. I am thinking about just building it out of wood. Other than the axle. I don't know if that will hold up to the landing stresses or not. Idea's?
Dec 19, 2017, 09:22 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Brodak control line..

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Dec 20, 2017, 09:40 AM
https://www.mcmaster.com/#steel-cable/=1arlpyn

This is what I used.
Latest blog entry: Assembling a Spandau kit.
Dec 20, 2017, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys I got the cable ordered.
Dec 20, 2017, 07:33 PM
Jimmy,
About time you caught on to my style of building. Heaven knows you have been flying many of my foam jets in the past. The thicker insulation foam is what I have been using lately. Here is a pic of my latest flying 'thing'.
Wayne
Dec 20, 2017, 08:40 PM
circle flyer
Jimmy, I'm anxiously awaiting to see how you are going to attach the wings Are they going to be detachable?

Larry
Dec 20, 2017, 09:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvie6
Jimmy,
About time you caught on to my style of building. Heaven knows you have been flying many of my foam jets in the past. The thicker insulation foam is what I have been using lately. Here is a pic of my latest flying 'thing'.
Wayne
Wayne I don't know why I haven't tried this method before. I know your planes always fly and look good. I want to see Super Man fly.
Dec 20, 2017, 09:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow and low
Jimmy, I'm anxiously awaiting to see how you are going to attach the wings Are they going to be detachable?

Larry
Yes the wings are gong to be detachable. I am going to use small metal tabs to connect the wings and the rigging to hold it all together. Just like the real thing. I will have them together tomorrow if things work out. Here is the only tabs I have mounted so far. They are screwed and glued to the carry through. There will be two on each wing and then the riggine to lock it in. I think that will hold. If not I should find out soon after liftoff.
Dec 20, 2017, 11:06 PM
circle flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2286
Yes the wings are gong to be detachable. I am going to use small metal tabs to connect the wings and the rigging to hold it all together. Just like the real thing. I will have them together tomorrow if things work out. Here is the only tabs I have mounted so far. They are screwed and glued to the carry through. There will be two on each wing and then the riggine to lock it in. I think that will hold. If not I should find out soon after liftoff.

Interesting approach, if it worked on the full scale, it should work for you. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do on mine, got some ideas though.

Larry
Dec 21, 2017, 04:18 PM
Jimmy
I know this is your build thread for your world war 1 SE5, but I have a few pictures of my Jetman we talked about the other night. Same material, the Dow blue foam. The man will be 3 feet tall when completed. The smaller one is my test setup. May use just on 50mm fan. Big one will have 4 50mm fans! Just another use for the blue foam. Hopefully, you will get to fly Superman, Jetman, and the Rocketeer in May.
When do you think the SE5 will be ready to fly?
Wayne

Quick Reply