This thread is privately moderated by Keith Kindrick, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 14, 2017, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

B-17 pilot flew unexpectedly into the middle of Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor

As he maneuvered his unarmed B-17 bomber over the island of Oahu, U.S. Army Lt. Robert Thacker was puzzled.

It should have been a peaceful Sunday morning in Hawaii.

See the attached PDF for the full story as captured by By Fred Swegles | [email protected] | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: December 6, 2017 at 3:50 pm
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2017, 12:35 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Ah, the Colonel himself!

I've had the very real privilege of meeting this man on two separate occasions and I hope he'll make his annual appearance at the AMA West expo next month.

He's a remarkable man; we'll never again see the likes of him.
Dec 14, 2017, 02:29 PM
Thread OP
You are so correct. He is a national treasure to many of us.
Dec 24, 2017, 12:09 PM
Was a lookin fer loomyum foral
Amazing how things change. He flew into the attack, I heard of that, and now I walked into some Japanese people who were working at one of our uranium refinement plants. The company that made the Mitsubishi Zero's now are making uranium refinement systems for use in US nuclear refinement plants.
We trust them to build their superior refinement system and work in our plants to install and service them. And they trust us to be in these potentially dangerous plants.

It should have been this way from the start. But we did it the hard way, first a fight then now we are allies. Well, let's hope it all works out and the world can see this ironic situation to understand how better things can be without war.
Dec 25, 2017, 02:42 PM
Thread OP
Japan is a key Allie and trading partner. We have both benefited after such tragedy and hardship.
Mar 01, 2018, 11:58 AM

My dad was in one of the B17's

I'm just coming across this article and would love to connect with the Colonel! My father was also in one the planes coming into Pearl Harbor from Utah, via California. He was wounded but survived. He is diseased but I would LOVE to talk with someone who may have known him and was flying alongside him.

Connie Bergdoll
Mar 15, 2018, 05:52 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Bergdoll
I'm just coming across this article and would love to connect with the Colonel! My father was also in one the planes coming into Pearl Harbor from Utah, via California. He was wounded but survived. He is diseased but I would LOVE to talk with someone who may have known him and was flying alongside him.

Connie Bergdoll
I wish I knew how to contact him. I believe he lives somewhere in the Orange County, California area, somewhere around San Clemente, I believe. He used to be a regular at the Global Hobby Distributors offices in Fountain Valley before they shut down.

Quick Reply