Regular full size servos and LiPos - RC Groups
Dec 14, 2017, 09:47 AM
Question

Regular full size servos and LiPos

I think I already know the answer, but just want to ask before I burn something up.
Question: Is it safe to use 7.4V Lipo batteries in aircraft using standard size servos?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2017, 12:33 PM
Never too old to learn
Fully charged 2s Lipo packs will be 8.4 volts. You'll need a voltage regulator to bring it down to 6V.
I use 2 cell LiFe packs.....no regulator needed for 6v servos

Tom
Dec 14, 2017, 03:41 PM
"Standard size" servos doesn't really tell us anything about their voltage rating. But most standard servos, of any size, are rated for nominal 4.8v to 6.0v.

There are servos available though, in many sizes, which can handle higher voltage. Usually they're labelled "HV", but you should be able to check their spec. sheet for precise values.
Dec 15, 2017, 04:29 PM
Thanks guys. No spec sheets on my old standard size servos, but I can prolly find the info online.
Dec 15, 2017, 06:20 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchief
Thanks guys. No spec sheets on my old standard size servos, but I can prolly find the info online.
Old servos are most likely 6v max. I would never risk old servos with anything higher. There are plenty of very reliable 6v BEC's on the market. I like the CC BEC's best. They are programmable for any voltage.

Quick Reply