Dec 14, 2017, 10:06 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Discussion

HobbyKing Raven 1.5M DLG

The Raven 1M Gets a Big Brother

We wrote about the 1M class wooden DLG Raven back in April and now it has a big brother in time for the new year. The H-King Raven 1.5 is a plug and fly model DLG built from wood and composites that is designed for entry level DLG pilots. It comes with the servos pre-installed in the fuselage. The wing is built from balsa with carbon rods for support and you can have it assembled and ready to fly in about 30 minutes. It's a great way to get a feel for discus launch gliders for under $200.

Check out the H-King Raven 1.5M DLG here

Features:
  • Plug-and-fly glider
  • High performance discus launcher
  • Excellent build quality
  • Lightweight composite fuselage
  • Pre-installed servos
  • Pre-built balsa wood wing and tail
  • Easy assembly within 30 minutes

Specifications:
  • Wingspan: 1500mm
  • Length: 1180mm
  • Wing Area: 23.2 DM2
  • Wing Loading: 12.5g/DM2
  • Flight Weight: 290g
  • Servos: 4x 9g
Required:
  • Radio: 5CH and up with computer mixing
  • Battery: 500mAh 1S or 4.8V battery

to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2017, 10:58 PM
An Original!
Hmmm. Wonder who will be the first to try one out. I had a built up DLG years ago (Photon II) and had a lot of fun with it. Cost was a lot more than this one though.
Dec 17, 2017, 03:23 PM
The nose catches and wing catches on videos are cringe worthy. He didn't pull flaps to slow it down.
Dec 17, 2017, 09:18 PM
Honorable Deplorable
If durable it could be a cheap way to get new people hooked on gliding
Mar 11, 2018, 07:43 PM
Why is computer mixing necesary?
Mar 12, 2018, 06:53 AM
Mixing is needed to use the ailerons as flapperons. Just needs 4ch rx though, not 5
May 14, 2018, 05:49 PM
So, has anyone actually flown this?
May 17, 2018, 10:44 PM
Yup.. https://youtu.be/Nm1-iInsAv4?t=54s Flies even better when the it isn't slightly tail heavy. Real floater.
May 20, 2018, 09:48 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Any healthy person that flies dlg more then 3 months will launch it to break.

So it is a relatively cheap entry, yes, but prone to disappoint you when getting beyond basic beginners level.
May 21, 2018, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l shems
Any healthy person that flies dlg more then 3 months will launch it to break.
Do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming?
May 21, 2018, 01:55 PM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Assuming, based on previous experience with several construction methods in relation to crashed/folded/shattered dlg's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Do you know this for a fact, or are you just assuming?
Mar 23, 2019, 05:21 PM
THIS IS NOT A PLUG AND FLY GLIDER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good grief! Forget 30 minutes. Try more like two hours minimum for a reasonably experienced rc plane owner/builder. But I'm taking my time with mine as I want it to be as good as it can be.
I recommend not using superglue/CA to join the wings! The runny stuff can move too fast and spoil the nice transparent covering and the Locktite universal gel that I tried doesn't flow at all.

I've just epoxied the wing halves together after first glueing in the solid carbon joiner, first into one wing, then let it set for 30 mins before starting to add epoxy resin to the other half. And I'm going to remove some of the covering from bottom of the 'd box' section near the leading edge so that I can add at least a single layer of glassfibre cloth for extra strength. It may alter the wing incidence a fraction, but I can probably live with that. And if necessary I can add some tape to the rest of the wing seat to alter it back again.

And now I'm just discovering that the laser cut ply spacers/washers, for the screws to align on, don't match the thickness of the wing at all. Grr, so I'm going to have to stick them together and add ply to one set and sand down the other before installing and glueing them in place.
Mar 23, 2019, 08:32 PM
And now we discover that the fuselage does not match the tail boom's taper! So there's no way to ensure that the boom is at 90 degrees to the main wing or even maintains anything like whatever original decalage was intended by the designer. Not without building something close to a full on balsa builder's alignment jig anyway.

So I've glued it and hope that by eye is sufficient.

Plug 'N Fly. More like PNFSHLAYFBTTAWFTERTS.
PLUG N FLY SEVERAL HOURS LATER AFTER YOU'VE FINISHED BUILDING THE THING AND WAITED FOR THE EPOXY RESIN TO SET.

YAWN! 1:30AM I'm off to bed now and the poxy resin can do what ever the hell it wants!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 23, 2019, 11:42 PM
This sounds like a good challenge. Once you get it flying nice you can start to scratch build your own.
Latest blog entry: DLG builds

Quick Reply