to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2018, 08:54 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Thread OP
Setting the engine in it's home. I'm playing with the idea of cutting about 1/8th to 3/16 off of the bottom of the engine so it has a lower profile.
Jun 08, 2018, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Located the servos and ruffed in the hatch
Pull pull on this is going to be fun
Jun 08, 2018, 09:29 AM
Dave, are you working on some static kit or RC model??? You did excellent job with the dummy engine!!! Really fantastic!
Jun 08, 2018, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prekin
Dave, are you working on some static kit or RC model??? You did excellent job with the dummy engine!!! Really fantastic!
Thanks! It is RC.
Jun 08, 2018, 02:31 PM
just only little detail. I make cast resin exhaust stacks, not 3D printed, and those are not Spitfire, but Allison- P-40E.
Dave, you should share some pictures how did you make the dummy engine
Jun 08, 2018, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
I stand corrected For some reason I thought they were 3d printed and I have Spitfire on the brain (whole other project)
I plan to share more as time permits, so stay tuned

Dave
Jun 08, 2018, 03:54 PM
Spitfire project?
I also have one on the table for some year
Jun 08, 2018, 09:44 PM
Looking good there FlyerDave.

I have been slowly getting things ready for covering. I've decided on Sig Koverall and will paint like the full scale design I have in mind.

I got my wing servos mounted today. All electronic connections are in place. Now to cover, hinge, final assemble, weight and balance........and fly. Not too much more. Haha! Not nearly as scale (cockpit) as yours.
Jun 11, 2018, 08:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prekin
Dave, you should share some pictures how did you make the dummy engine
Please see above post I added some more pics and details Post 61

Riverman,
Your getting closer!
Jun 13, 2018, 06:02 PM
OK. On to the dummy engine. I went round and round, super simple to super complex. Ended up kind of in the middle.

Just getting things going. Several AutoCad drawings later. I'll be sanding stuff as it is right now, but then gluing it as individual cylinders directly mounted to the nose. There'll be a lot of sawdust by the end of it. I guess I'll just paint it black.

I've gone with balsa to keep weight down. I don't imagine the light plywood would have been a whole lot heavier, but every little bit counts.

Oh, and my Koverall is supposed to arrive tomorrow!
Last edited by RiverMan RC; Jun 13, 2018 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to add information.
Jun 14, 2018, 08:32 AM
Thread OP
Looks good, Riverman!
Light is right! I do not think mine will be to portly
Jun 14, 2018, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdave
Please see above post I added some more pics and details Post 61

Riverman,
Your getting closer!
Thank you Dave. Outstanding!!
Jun 15, 2018, 08:00 PM
I have no idea what I am doing......But I'm not going to let that stop me.

This Koverall stuff is pretty cool. I can't wait to see the whole plane covered.

Next up for today is to add a couple of hard points on the center section and the wing roots to add that strap to hold the wings tight. I still need to trim my ailerons too. Not too far away.....

A trip to Lowe's tomorrow to pick out some paint chips. Per Douwe Blumberg, the plane I've shown photos of, he likes deep wine red, and cream. Classy. I had talked with him about red, but not sure what kind, and cream or off-white, or antique white. I like his suggestion. He is an artist after all.....
Jul 26, 2018, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
A little catching up to do, with my Spitfire rebuild done. I've gotten a little further with the Air Camper.
Mostly concentrating on the battery hatch. I managed to sand through the side of the hatch, so I added a patch instead of replacing the whole side. This will be covered in metal (thin foil) so the patch will not be seen,
Hold down magnets were added to the fuselage and thin gauge metal was attached to the hatch.
The battery tray was already installed with a box attached at the end. The box will help keep the battery in and serves as a mount for the ESC. The battery tray and box have cooling holes cut in them and the ESC is attached with velcro.

Dave

Quick Reply