Dec 14, 2017, 09:28 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Thread OP
Build Log

58" Pietenpol Air Camper Peter Rake Build Off

I've been wanting to start building scale short kits for a long time. There are a lot of nice ones out there. I chose Peter Rake's Pietenpol Air Camper to get my feet wet.
I got started with the tail, every thing is framed up. Just need to sand and cut hinge slots for the rudder and vertical fin. elevator and company are complete.
Last edited by flyerdave; Dec 14, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2017, 09:34 AM
Neophyte hacker
It is a good plane to start on. And they fly good too.

charlie
Dec 16, 2017, 09:03 AM
Probably too late by now, but I'd advise building complete sides - one on top of the other (with film between). You'll have to join front and rear before proceeding, so might as well build them that way to begin with.

Pete
Dec 18, 2017, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
Peter, Thanks for the advice. That is still possible so it will happen. I mostly continued working with the wheels over the weekend in between holiday prep.
Last edited by flyerdave; Dec 18, 2017 at 08:50 AM.
Dec 18, 2017, 08:48 AM
Neophyte hacker
That wheel look great.

charlie
Dec 19, 2017, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
Not much work done last night but still worth a post
Dec 19, 2017, 10:41 AM
FlyerDave,
Is this the 29" ws by Manzano short kit? The wheel jig is outstanding....is it part of the instructions?
Dec 19, 2017, 11:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
FlyerDave,
Is this the 29" ws by Manzano short kit? The wheel jig is outstanding....is it part of the instructions?
Freddy, This is the 58" short kit from Manzano. The wheel jig is my own concoction. 12"x12" sq. ply base and the rest is 1/8" Basswood with 10/32 bolts and blind nuts. SWMBO asked if I thought is was big enough. My reply was "Yes- just in case I ever want to make baby carriage wheels for extra money"
Dec 19, 2017, 11:23 AM
FlyerDave, I'm gonna print this wheel jig off so I have it for my archives. Brilliant!
Dec 20, 2017, 06:22 AM
Neophyte hacker
Since you asked about the smaller one. I've built the 58", 45" and 29". They all are wonderful flyers. The 29" was 3ch and flew just as nicely as the larger ones with ailerons.

FYI, I did the 29" with a .03 diesel so it was a little heaviers, but still flew very well. The 45" was a .09 diesel and was just as much fun. The 58" was electric.

They are probably the most forgiving touch and go planes I've ever flown (even better than the WACO's and Cubs). Even with very stiff landing gear they just kinda plant themselves on touchdown and then gracefully take off again. I liked to use rudder only on approaches and take offs.

charlie
Dec 20, 2017, 07:47 AM
Thanks Charlie!
Dec 21, 2017, 11:44 AM
Why don't the Asians who make spoked wheels in various sizes for diecast motorcycles make scale accessory wheels for model planes and sell them through Hobby King?? Not a great volume seller though.
Dec 21, 2017, 11:55 AM
Thread OP
Someone with the time and know how could 3D print them. I did see a set for 50cm diameter.
Dec 31, 2017, 01:12 PM

I should have been posting all along

It's good to see someone else building Peter Rake's 1/6 scale Piet. I started mine a few months ago. I work on it a little at a time so I'm not as far along as I'd like.

I did my own spoke wheels similar to yours. But I've gone all out scale and made the wooden landing gear pretty much as real as it gets. I used the actual Pietenpol AirCamper build manual as I am actually beginning to build the real thing also.

Quick Reply