Feb 02, 2018, 11:35 PM
Thread OP

Progress - Update

Some progress has been made on the furnishings inside.

All the interior walls have been designed and cut out. Notches have been cut in the bottoms of those that meet the two floor rails or guides made to help "curve" the sides. Notches have also been made for the roof beams. Almost all of the Galley pieces have been created, we missed one small wall piece at the side of the Glass Cabinet.

ALTHEA has as much white paint on the interior as it did mahogany. All the interior features, with the exception of the Berths/Benches have been detailed and dry fitted together. The various drawers and cupboards have been marked on their respective wall sections. The floor of the Companionway will have a dark-brown carpeting as will the Galley floor, but the Head floor will be covered with white ceramic tiles.

'till next post ...
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2018, 08:24 AM
Nice work Barry. Going to be a great model.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Feb 03, 2018, 11:44 AM
Agreed !
Feb 04, 2018, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
Nice work Barry. Going to be a great model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Agreed !
Thanks guys. I'm still hopeful it will turn out okay. There's still a lot of little things left to do though.

I just got word yesterday that my running hardware package is ready for me to pick up.

Cheers, Barry
Feb 04, 2018, 08:18 PM
Thread OP

Progress - Continued

The interior Bench/Berth Seats have now been designed, cut out and dry fitted.

The two interior Bench Seats double as a pair of upper & lower Berths. The two Seat backs become the Berths, if needed. They appear to be hung by straps from the ceiling. This model will have them configured as Bench Seats only. Each Bench consists of 5 parts; a Front, a Bench Seat, a seat Back and two ends for support.

At the aft end of the cabin there is a platform that works as a stair step and hanging above that is a Folding Step up to the Bridge Deck. This Platform fills the width of the companionway between the two Benches.

'till next post ...
Feb 05, 2018, 12:35 PM
Great attention to detail Barry ~
Feb 13, 2018, 06:10 AM
updates?
Feb 14, 2018, 03:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B.
Great attention to detail Barry ~
Thanks Tim. I just hope I can do her justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavy
updates?
Well, I guess my "jig" is up! I've been caught. A week ago, the Boss and I took off for a bit of a 51st Anniversary holiday. At the moment we're relaxing with some Hawaiian green turtles on the Big Island. Next week we switch over to Maui for another ten days. Please don't give up on this Build Log, because I sure haven't.

Cheers, Barry
Mar 03, 2018, 08:11 PM
Thread OP

Progress - Interior

As mentioned before, ALTHEA's interior has more white paint than mahogany.

At this point the finishing of the interior is going to get started. Many of the wall panels have white and mahogany on them.

This is the sequence of tasks that will be followed:

1. Mark off all the doors, drawers & cupboards on each wall panel.
2. Stain the wall panels with the same MinWax "Red Mahogany" as the Cabin Walls.
3. When thoroughly dry, mask off the mahogany areas so they are the only things showing.
4. Varnish all the mahogany spots, recoat until finished.
5. Lightly sand all the painted places.
6. Paint the non-mahogany places with white enamel, recoat until finished.

Hopefully, this will work out. We'll see.

As of last evening, all the interior wall panels that will have mahogany showing have been marked off and stained.

'till next post ...
Mar 06, 2018, 04:06 AM
Thread OP

Progress - Interior

Most of the mahogany has now been varnished.

At this point all the mahogany on one side of each of the interior wall panels has been finished with 3 coats of the MinWax Helmsman spar varnish. Some of the panels will need to have parts of their reverse sides varnished as well. Some will even need white tiles.

Next up will be to varnish the reverse sides where needed.

'till next post ...
Mar 06, 2018, 09:10 AM
Nice work Barry !
Mar 07, 2018, 10:18 AM
mahoganyfan

Interior Pieces

The model is looking great Barry! The interior will be stunning for sure.
Mar 07, 2018, 05:38 PM
Thread OP

Progress - Interior

Thanks for the nice comments guys. As I've said before, I hope I can do that beautiful boat justice.

All of the wall partitions with mahogany portions are now finished.

It looks like the varnishing/painting process worked. After masking off all the varnished mahogany portions the pieces were painted with white enamel. I normally hate "rattle cans" as I feel I don't have the same amount of control over where the paint goes, but in this case there was a lovely break in the weather this morning with plenty of sunshine (still cool though) and little breeze. Each piece was sprayed twice over the space of a couple of hours and the results look pretty good considering. A couple of the pieces will need a little bit of touchup, but overall the results are acceptable.

Next up, will be to spray paint those remaining pieces that have mahogany on one side and white paint on the other. When that's all done it'll be about time to start back on the hull, specifically the installation of the running gear.

'till next post ...
Mar 13, 2018, 11:38 AM
Been eyeing this kit for a while. Your build (and Pat T's) will be very useful for anyone wanting to build this kit too.
Mar 16, 2018, 12:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay
Been eyeing this kit for a while. Your build (and Pat T's) will be very useful for anyone wanting to build this kit too.
Rmay: I hope my Build Log may help someone, but honestly, unless they're planning to make the floors and the cabin removable I'm not so sure mine will be as helpful as Pat's.

Speaking of Pat, does anyone know why he suddenly stopped his Review?

Cheers, Barry

Quick Reply