Aug 25, 2019, 12:37 PM
Looks great
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2019, 06:58 PM
Thread OP

Flagstaff

Firstly, THANK-YOU ever so much for your very kind words!! They certainly keep me motivated to build more.

The Flagstaff is made up from a 4 1/2" long 3/16" wood dowel for the Pole, a cast resin Base, a large clear plastic bead used as the Light, a large Pin used to attach the bead, the last two Eye-pins, a single metal Cleat used to tie off the flag and a 1" brass rod 1/16" dia. used to hold it all in place on the Transom Catwalk.

Once again we replaced the dowel with some mahogany. We made our Post from a single 4 1/2" scrap piece of 3/16" x 1/8" mahogany. It was cut down the middle on the wide side, then a furrow carved into each side that will house the wires for the Light. After splitting it, it was tacked together with CA. Then it was carved to shape and sanded down to 320 ready for staining.

The Light is, once again, the preferred MACK L13 Navigation light with the chrome pole attached. We simply detach the metal pole from the Light housing (it pulls out fairly easily). The wires are fine enough that they fit into a very small groove rather easily and their length is more than enough to fit the whole 4 1/2" Pole length plus extra to attach to the existing wiring. We put the Large Pin and the Bead aside as they will be replaced by the MACK light.

The Base is cast resin that will need a 1/16" hole, drilled through it on an angle, so that it will sit on the 1/16" brass pin that gets inserted into the Transom Catwalk. It will be painted silver after being attached. We will drill the 1/16" hole, but not for the pin, but instead for the wires from the Light to attach to the existing wiring.

The Eye-pins are fitted into two predrilled 1/32" holes in the Pole at the locations shown on the full size drawing.

After all the staining is done, we'll add the Cleat to the rear of the Pole at the location shown in the full sized drawing. We won't be putting on any of the flags/pennants on that are supplied in the kit, instead we'll be making our own replicas from white silk material (this is an ongoing subproject in itself).

Finally the assembled Flagstaff is set on the Pin in the deck. We will be just glueing it down to the Transom Catwalk instead, since we've got all that wiring under there.

By the way, we seem to have an additional two chocks left over, so we'll be placing them at the bow where the rope would have gone from the large Bitt through the built-in chocks on the Raised Bulwarks.

'till next post ...
Aug 25, 2019, 07:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnavy
Glad to see you back with the finishing touches. One of these days I need to get back to my build.
Thanks, it's been too long away.

You definitely need to get back to your kit. This is a great kit and builds a beautiful wooden boat. We'd all like to see your progress. Don't let me be the only one with a Build Log.

Cheers, Barry
Aug 25, 2019, 07:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg
BARRY- As always with any of your builds GREAT JOB!!! It must be something in the water or the long winter nights up there, that all of these great builds come down across the border.

I, along with the rest of the members here on the forum, look forward to pictures of her in the water and running.
Hey frankg,

Yes, it must be the water and dark winter nights!! In my case anyway.

I'm hoping to get her in the local pond out here soon, and I promise to upload some pics and any video that isn't all blurry.

Cheers, Barry
Aug 25, 2019, 07:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKC Syd
Looks great
Hi MKC Syd;
Thanks!

I haven't been paying much attention to the Scale Boats forum lately, but have you been building anything?

Cheers, Barry
Aug 31, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP

Completed.

The ALTHEA is finally completed. All the lights have been installed and wired up to a single switch that will be controlled by the GEAR toggle on the radio.

All we have to do now is get her to the pond and take some pics and video.

Thanks everyone for all your interest.

Cheers, Barry
Last edited by ClassicBoats; Sep 04, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Aug 31, 2019, 10:20 PM
Very nice job Barry, right down to the display stand!!
Randy

Quick Reply