Jul 15, 2018, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBoats
Firstly, all you guys, [COLOR="Red"]

Happily not only did she float but she also didn't leak. Surprisingly though, with the prop going as fast as I would dare in the tub, the water cooling system didn't draw any water into it at all. So now I'm wondering if there's some kind of blockage in the intake. I really expected the water to get pushed up into the tubing, at least a little bit.
I think you find that with the boat moving through the water that you will get flow through the cooling system.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2018, 06:52 PM
Thread OP

Essentially Finished

Thank-you everybody for your very kinds words!

The look-a-like (not an exact replica) "ALTHEA" is, for all intents & purposes, completed.

There's a few minor things left to do, like make all the flag masts/staffs, then clean up, paint & apply the remainder of the deck fittings, like the Horn (only 1 on ALTHEA) etc.

The Rudder servo has been installed as has all the rest of the running gear. The Rub Rails and Splash Rails were installed, along with most of the small deck fittings; Gas Caps, Step Plates, Cleats & Ventilators.

So now's there nothing major to stop us from getting her out to the pond for her Sea Trials. Once again, as soon as we get some pics and video of her operating, we'll post them here.

Meanwhile I think I just might look in the cupboard for the next kit? Maybe? Or just relax for a bit, we'll see.

'till next post ...
Jul 16, 2018, 07:00 PM
Quote:
The look-a-like (not an exact replica) "ALTHEA" is, for all intents & purposes, completed. .
Congratulations !

Looks Great, a lot of hard work went into it ~
Jul 16, 2018, 09:45 PM
Well done. Looking forward to seeing her on the water.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Jul 18, 2018, 06:26 PM
XX2 Excellent work.
Aug 02, 2018, 01:50 AM
Thread OP

Carrier & Display Stand

Thanks for all your wonderful comments guys!

Before taking her to the pond (local lagoon here) a carrying box had to be made (especially with the state my knee is still in) and I wanted to make a simple but nice looking display stand for her. My knee is getting stronger every day and touch wood I'll be able to get down to the local pond soon.

The carrier is modelled after one my next door neighbour in Coquitlam showed me. If I remember correctly I showed a similar one in the Lady Marada Build Thread. It is fairly simple (for a wood version), has nice handles and has a place to carry the radio plus any small tools & extra batteries, etc needed.

The display stand is made from a plank of Black Walnut that I had. I'll put her name and a simple description of the boat on it.

When, and IF, MACK Models website ever comes back up we'll finally be able to finish her - we still need some lights. But I want to see what I'm ordering before I place the order.

Right now we're turning our attention back to the 47" Chris*Craft Buccaneer. We'll talk to you soon over there.

Cheers, Barry
Aug 02, 2018, 09:33 PM
Nice looking boat!! You should be very proud!!
Aug 03, 2018, 03:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSmead
Nice looking boat!! You should be very proud!!
Thank-you, Sir.
I'll be even more proud of her when I can finally get her to the pond and see her actually running.
Aug 03, 2018, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Thank-you, Sir.
I'll be even more proud of her when I can finally get her to the pond and see her actually running.
I am sure you will be,beautiful boat.
Aug 03, 2018, 09:49 AM
Really nice boat you got there. I like it.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Aug 23, 2019, 03:10 PM
Thread OP

At last ... more progress!

Sorry for the extraordinarily long delay. Wow, it's been over a year!

Now all the exterior lights are here (the delay was not MACK's fault), it's time to put it all together.

There are three sets of lights that will go on the outside of Althea:

1. A single white "Mast" light on the Jackstaff at the bow,
2. A pair of red & green navigation lights that will go on the forward part of the cabin sides,
3. A single white navigation light that will go on the top of the Flagstaff at the stern.

With any luck at all, Althea might just get her maiden this summer.

'till next post ...
Aug 23, 2019, 04:09 PM
Thread OP

Jackstaff

The Jackstaff for Althea is a little different from anything we've ever done before, but not I'm sure different, from the what all you work boats enthusiasts do on a regular basis.

Althea's Jackstaff consists of a Pole with a strangely shaped Bracket upon which a "Mast" light sits. The Pole supplied in the kit is just a 1/8" dia. wooden doweling that is cut to 3 1/4" long. We're replacing it with a 1/8" square piece of mahogany, which we'll round off and then stain. It has to have a small Globe carved into the top end. The upper one third is tapered down to match the Globe. There is a full sized drawing to make the process easier and provide exact measurements.

When that is done, two 1/32" holes are drilled for the Pennant Eyepins. The Eyepins are cut to size and glued in place, as is the Base.

Next, the strangely shaped Bracket is glued in place on the pole. Since we're going to have a working "Mast" light, we drilled a tiny #64 hole in the Bracket to allow the very small wires to pass through. The "Mast" light is a MACK #L12 Mast Light. The wires are extremely fine and more than long enough.

The Base is actually a nylon shoulder washer that will be painted silver. The kit instructions have you drill a 1/8" dia. hole into which the bottom 1/4" of the pole is inserted. We'll just glue it directly onto the deck when all the wiring has been completed.

At this point everything has been done except the staining & painting and final wiring hookup.

'till next post ...
Aug 24, 2019, 04:09 AM
Thread OP

Cabin Flag Pole

The Cabin Flag Pole consists of a wooden Pole, a couple of Eyepins and a nylon Base.

The Pole is cut from the same 1/8" wooden dowel as the Jackstaff, but this one is cut 3 1/2" long. The instructions say that the drawing Fig. 80 is full size, but it isn't. The drawing is 3 1/4" instead of 3 1/2", so watch out there. This flag pole also has a globe on the top which has to be carved by hand. The top end of the Pole is tapered as well.

Two 1/32" holes are drilled using the drawing as a reference for the 2 Eyepins. The Eyepins are then cut to length and glued in place.

The Base is actually another nylon shoulder washer. It will be painted silver. The instructions then have you drill a 1/8" hole in the Cabin Roof, but we are just going to glue it instead.

While we were at it, we cleaned up one of the Horns (Althea only has a single horn) and it will be glued in place later.

'till next post ...
Aug 25, 2019, 06:44 AM
Glad to see you back with the finishing touches. One of these days I need to get back to my build.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:36 AM
BARRY- As always with any of your builds GREAT JOB!!! It must be something in the water or the long winter nights up there, that all of these great builds come down across the border.

I, along with the rest of the members here on the forum, look forward to pictures of her in the water and running.

Quick Reply