IRSA and Radio Sailing Politics in General - RC Groups
Dec 13, 2017, 01:15 PM
Beyond Hyperbole
Discussion

IRSA and Radio Sailing Politics in General

For those of us who follow the present machinations of the IRSA Executive Committee, here is their latest proposal (in light of the fact that the EXEC authored Constitutional Amendments were defeated):

"In the run-up to the 2018 GA, the proposed constitution has failed to receive approval from the DNMs. This has led to a number of issues:

The current constitution continues to be significantly out of date on necessary housekeeping matters, at the least, such as the name change of ISAF to WS.
The current constitution is now significantly out of date on the current and future direction of IRSA in strengthening the governance and devolution of IRSA Classes.
The recently completed exceptional meeting failed to identify what the Membership considered constitutionally acceptable on the one hand and problematic on the other.
The meeting failed to make or consider any suggestions for addressing the problems perceived.
The meeting demonstrated significant disengagement by a "silent majority", well over half of our DNMs, and their absence reduced the credibility of the constitutional change process.

As a consequence, the EC has resolved to call a second exceptional meeting under Article 10.1. This exceptional meeting will be informally called a "Constitutional Assembly" (CA). The CA will take place in the IRSA Forum in a board constructed specifically for the purpose, as was used for the 2016 General Assembly (GA). The CA membership and voting rights will be as for a GA. The CA will mainly use the GA rules of procedure, where it will consider proposals for constitutional change as notified in a previously circulated agenda. Importantly, the CA will be empowered to decide amendments to proposals by majority vote (instead of the 100% vote as would be required in a full GA). When the CA has approved a final revised constitution, the EC will call the GA which is due in 2018.

The proposed constitution is separated into sections and areas of change, and separate agenda proposals deal with each of these aspects of constitutional change in order that the CA may arrive at a set of constitutional changes which it approves.

This Constitutional Assembly will be run so that the Members, in participating can consider all aspects of the needed and suggested changes at the same time. This will save considerable time and the Members will then be able to discuss only those Constitutional items that they consider to be important. With the agreement of the other Members, it also allows them to add proposals to change the Constitution that they consider important. Members will be discussing items with other Members as well the Executive Committee. The Constitutional Assembly will expect the Members to be prepared to work quickly during the meeting and would suggest they be organised so that can happen.

This is a crucial and very important time for your International Association and the IRSA EC would hope and expect all Members to be involved."

Keep in mind that the IRSA web page does not have a public forum and the only folks allowed to forward opinions to Lester et al are Ray Seta (President of AMYA, the DNM (delegated national member) for the US, Fred Rocha (chairman of IOMICA), and Bob Wells (regional officer - Americas).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2017, 04:59 PM
Modeler/ Historian
What are the current issues and how do we view them? Just curious. I have faith in our USA rep. He is a Texan after all
Dec 13, 2017, 05:18 PM
There's already another thread on this topic.
Dec 14, 2017, 03:30 AM
Yes there is a thread on the topic, but its appropriate to move the thread to this page. I dont know if you could copy some of the previous detail from the IOM Discussion page, to this more appropriate thread.
Given time and use, this forum will develop to the subject its been created for.

JT
Dec 14, 2017, 10:01 AM
John Ball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
What are the current issues and how do we view them? Just curious. I have faith in our USA rep. He is a Texan after all
I see several issues - this may be a long post.

One big issue is Governance. The governing body for sailing is World Sailing, which is an association of Member Nations and those nations contribute financially to its running. The IRSA follows the same model. The IRSA then has an Executive to run the day by day affairs. Included in the Executive are Regional Officers (RO) who represent a group of counties in their respective continents. So in theory, the Executive has the input of its member nations in all decisions.

Some members of the current Executive want to change the structure of the Executive and eliminate the ROs and replace them with Class Committee reps. However the class reps are further defined as those NOT having an independent International Class Association (ICA) - so the IOMICA would be excluded, but the other recognised classes M, 10R, and A class that have not formed ICAs would be on the Exec. And so would new classes created by the Executive, such as 65cm class and the multihull class. In addition, those class committees are populated by the Executive. And then, if one of those classes forms an ICA it is kicked off the Executive.

Under the current Constitution, the decisions of the Executive are subject to approval by the full world member nations at the annual General Assemblies.

The Executive tried to get this Constitutional change approved in October but it was defeated as it failed to achieve a 2/3th majority. So they are trying again by calling a special Constitutional Assembly in January.

There are several parts to the motions to change the Constitution - and some are housekeeping, like updating the reference ISAF to World Sailing (WS) - but there are also proposals to eliminate the RO and introduce the Class Committees. And there is one proposal that changes the approval process so that actions of the Executive are final unless action is taken at a General Assembly to revoke a decision.

So the actual voting power base in the Executive changes dramatically. if this proposal succeeds.

There have been other actions by the Executive that are cause for concern - such as the Prohibited Events Policy and a Regulation that changes the definition of Conflict of Interest to a very narrow one. In my opinion, neither of these documents has any validity as they cover ground already in the domain of World Sailing. IRSA has no power to impose penalties and has to report alleged infringements to Word Sailing for investigation and action - and WS would use their own policies, regs and definititions, not the IRSA versions.

And there is the attempt to co-opt RG65 into becoming a Recognised class. And the attempt to form a multi-hull class while discounting the input of experiences multi-hull RC sailors.

John
Dec 14, 2017, 10:37 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor
Yes there is a thread on the topic, but its appropriate to move the thread to this page. I dont know if you could copy some of the previous detail from the IOM Discussion page, to this more appropriate thread.
JT
Here is the link to the existing thread for this topic.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ss-Recognition
Latest blog entry: My DC6 Sailing and Mods
Dec 14, 2017, 10:53 AM
On the political front letís not ignore whatís happening at IOMICA and what appears to be some very strange behavior involving the current chairman. Would love to know for example who is paying for some of his recent travels? And is it appropriate for the IOMICA head to be featuring a photo tour of a supplierís facility?
Dec 14, 2017, 11:26 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks for the info, its interesting reading.
Dec 14, 2017, 05:27 PM
Tom, i think you may of answered your own question with that one.

I have also often questioned the eligability/favouritism of the 'guest' places for the IOMICA run events.

Maybe after the 2019 Worlds in BRAZIL(see below), that was a surprise, the circus then goes to Haikou Island and have a guess who will be your fleet announcer on the microphone? Yes, you guessed it.

IOMICA heads home club!
Dec 15, 2017, 12:27 AM
OlivierFRA100
Roy/Tom, Lazer, you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about !

Fred will answer if he wishes to for his travels.
For IOMICA guests, if you have any issue with that, the responsible is me those last years. Please explain where is favoritism/eligibility problem?
Dec 15, 2017, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA3700
Roy/Tom, Lazer, you have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about !

Fred will answer if he wishes to for his travels.
For IOMICA guests, if you have any issue with that, the responsible is me those last years. Please explain where is favoritism/eligibility problem?
It is standard procedure in most sailing classes that a senior member of the class association attends a World or Continental Championship. When Fred attends he also acts as key element of the race management team. As far as I know the events I have attended with Fred his travel expenses have come from the event budget or his own pocket.

It seems to me perfectly normal that a class official, and sometimes competitor, should visit a boat builder who builds class boats. A class is largely dependent on its builders. Such a visit does not breach any conflict of interest guidelines.
Dec 15, 2017, 05:30 AM
FRA3700/Oliver, are you saying the Chairman has never used his position to influence where events are held, promise events to Nations before any bid is submitted, work the underground to push for a scoring system that has been rejected.

Maybe you are not hearing the pondside talk so loudly.

It does not take a genius to work out where the next events will be held with the promise of current and ex Champions in attendance.

Is Thailand an official iomica country yet or are they happy to make boats and suck it to the stick.
Last edited by lazerb77; Dec 15, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Dec 15, 2017, 09:11 AM
John Ball
It is fantastic news for the IOM class that we are holding our World Championship on a new continent where it has never been held before. It has been held in western Europe many times, Australia and the west coats of North America a number of times, it has been held in Central Europe, and the middle east.

This movement is good for the class. and the IOMICA tries to move it to a different continent for the next event. The last one was in Europe - so time for someone else.

If Fred played any role in encouraging Brazil to put in a bid to hold the Worlds, he is to be congratulated

John
Dec 15, 2017, 10:01 AM
Fred has done a lot for the class.Every international event that I have attended Fred has been right in on the organization, in most cases being the actual RD.When I spend my money to travel to an event that Fred is RD I know what I'm going to get,it's nice to be a sailor but there is a need for people to run it,no race committee no race.There are not many on here who would volunteer to do it,myself personally would pay a surcharge on my entry to have an experienced person like Fred as RD who can bang off a ton of races and deal with problems as they arise instantly.Model yachting in general needs 10 Fred's.The commenters complaining about Fred must have a hidden agenda of which none are going to volunteer to do his job and very likely incapable of doing so at the standard he does it.
Dec 15, 2017, 10:19 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug
Fred has done a lot for the class.Every international event that I have attended Fred has been right in on the organization, in most cases being the actual RD.When I spend my money to travel to an event that Fred is RD I know what I'm going to get,it's nice to be a sailor but there is a need for people to run it,no race committee no race.There are not many on here who would volunteer to do it,myself personally would pay a surcharge on my entry to have an experienced person like Fred as RD who can bang off a ton of races and deal with problems as they arise instantly.Model yachting in general needs 10 Fred's.The commenters complaining about Fred must have a hidden agenda of which none are going to volunteer to do his job and very likely incapable of doing so at the standard he does it.
Key words ...........hidden agenda. Who is Lazerb77 ? Does he compete at the International level ? Is he a designer of IOMs ? Does he sell IOMs ?
We will never know.

Quick Reply