150% Kadet Candy Bomber - RC Groups
Dec 13, 2017, 10:00 AM
Build Log

150% Kadet Candy Bomber

In 2014 I started on a 150% Kadet as a club build with several new members of the Monticello Model Masters. We built the fuselage as a group, while another member built the tailfeathers. One of my first laser cutting projects was a wing kit for the it. The fuselage and tail were covered, servos installed, and then everybody's interests changed.

A few months ago I picked up an Enya .90 4-stroke from an estate sale, and my friend Michael Ramsey has started the process of cleaning and refurbishing it.

And now I'm getting tired of walking around it in my shop. The obvious solution? FINISH IT! It was a good decision, because in the process of digging out the kit I found a bunch of 1/4x1/2x48 spar material that I had forgotten about. Michael also volunteered to cover the wing and work the rather plain covering so far into something attractive. He's pretty artsy, so I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Last night I started on building the wing kit. I taped down the plans onto a building board and inventoried the parts. My laser cutting for the spar web wasn't so good, so I recut those and then ran out of time.

I'm looking forward to getting this thing out of my shop. Getting it into the air will be a bonus!

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; Dec 13, 2017 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2017, 10:53 AM
will it be a two piece wing for easier transportation?
Dec 13, 2017, 11:00 AM
One of the design changes was to make plug-in wings instead of held down with rubber bands or bolts. I'll take some photos of the fuselage when I get a chance.

Andy
Dec 13, 2017, 11:13 AM
transportation is the big reason why I haven't flown that Kadet in ages - my Dad had a full-sized buick station wagon, so hauling the one piece wing wasn't an issue.

I was driving a Subaru WRX - and that wing just wasn't going to fit very well! Have a Forester now, and I could probably put it in, but the wing and I would be sharing a little space up front...

I did manage to squeeze a 2M pattern plane in there - and it too shared a little space. Darned thing took over the arm rest!
Dec 14, 2017, 05:53 AM
ARFs Are Me
I'll follow your progress, Andy, as this is a project that I have considered, myself.

Your engine choice intrigues me, as I have a 91 Surpass in my standard sized, but modified, Kadet Senior.
Dec 14, 2017, 08:25 AM
I like that trim scheme, Tom.

Can you do me a favor? Can you measure the width of the fuselage? I'd like to know if the Sr. cowl will fit on mine.

Thanks!

Andy
Dec 14, 2017, 08:37 AM
Fuselage photos, for those who may be interested.

Andy
Dec 14, 2017, 09:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I like that trim scheme, Tom.

Can you do me a favor? Can you measure the width of the fuselage? I'd like to know if the Sr. cowl will fit on mine.

Thanks!

Andy
The fuselage, at the firewall, measures 4 7/8".

I used the cowl, landing gear, and tail wheel unit, from the Kadet Senior Sport ARF.
Dec 14, 2017, 09:40 AM
OK, so the Sig cowl won't fit. My fuse is 5-13/16" wide. Michael wants me to do cheek cowl, but I'd rather do foam and glass.

The Enya is one of the short shaft types, so a spinner is out of the question.

Andy
Dec 14, 2017, 10:12 AM
ARFs Are Me
Fiberglass Specialties should have a cowl that would fit, but nothing specific to your model.
Dec 15, 2017, 08:26 PM
I framed up the left wing tonight. It built really quickly because all the parts are pre-cut.

The hinge area top and bottom are laminated from two pieces of 1/16" balsa. One piece has the slots for the hinges already cut, and the other is flat. (The other side of the hing pocket will be an outer 1/16" x 1" sheet that goes along with the cap strips and LE sheeting).

I laser cut both pieces, but keep the hinge slot in. I cover it over with tape to mask it, then glue the sheets together against as straight edge and keep them down flat.

When done drying, I simply cut lightly through the retention tabs and tug on the tape to remove the piece.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures for the right wing showing how the webs plug into holes in the ribs and everything keys together.

Andy
Dec 16, 2017, 08:47 PM
Today was a fairly productive day considering I spent 4 hours outside burning leaves. The key was to arrange that so the glue was drying while I was working.

I started the day by adding the front bottom sheeting to the wings. This is made simply by the Kadet's true flat-bottom wing, and followed up by framing the right wing the same way as the left was done last night.

To follow up on my comment from yesterday, I also included a photo showing how the web is notched and tabbed to key into both the ribs and to the adjacent webs. It's not very practical on a thinner wing, but it sure worked nicely on this one.

The flaps are built right on the bottom sheeting. I used a sheeting of 1/16 x 4 and attached the pre-cut hinge laminations on the front edge, then added the ribs. Finally, the top gets a 1/8" sq to serve as a glue rail for the top sheeting and front facing.

The ailerons are built similarly, except that the bottom of the rib is aligned with the edge of the sheet. The hinge part goes on top.

And that's it!
Dec 17, 2017, 05:50 AM
Wanted for breaking Ohm's Law
Nice work! Both design and building......
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Dec 17, 2017, 05:56 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Sumner
Nice work! Both design and building......
I was thinking the same thing.
Dec 17, 2017, 08:21 AM
Thank you for the compliments. It's very enjoyable when it just falls together like this.

I think the laminated hinge holder feels stronger than if it were a single piece, but it is a little tricky to assemble straight. We'll see just how good an idea it was when the hinges go in.

Andy

Quick Reply