Dec 15, 2017, 05:40 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF View Post
I have a DX9 with DSMX, as European law changed regulation which meant DSM2 could not be sold anymore. I suppose your TX supports both protocols and therefore automatically bound in DSM2?
Aaah, that's right - I forgot about the DSM2 ban in Europe. Yes, the US DX's still support both. Though I did just check my one Deltang, and it is bound with DSMX. Pretty sure it glitched on me once, but I had the plane waaaay further away than was sensible for this type of Rx.

I wish LemonRx would do an ultra micro version. I love their Rxs for my bigger planes.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2021, 08:34 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Thread OP

The Zero flies!

This seems to be the week for resurrecting Lazarus threads...

After nearly 4 years of staring at the "finished" Zero (from page 1 of this thread) which stubbornly refused to fly properly, I got motivated to try again before this year's NEAT Fair in September. I swapped out the Plantraco receiver for a more reliable HipHop Grasshopper receiver from microflierradio.com, which also lets me use my regular Spektrum transmitter to take advantage of trim, dual rates, endpoint adjustments, mixing, etc., plus it's about half the weight of the Plantraco Butterfly Rx. I also got some fresh 23mah cells from microflierradio.com, and fixed the rudder which had been pranged during the last flight attempt a couple of years ago.

Testing at the NEAT fair indicated it had sufficient power and control authority, but I could only get it to climb by moving the CG back so far that it became unstable, so I never managed more than half a lap. Which led me to realize that I made the mistake of not correcting the wing incidence/decalage angles from the Fiddler's Green plans.

We've had some freakishly calm winds here in NJ most of this week, so, the other day I cut out the horizontal stabilizer and re-mounted it with several degrees of positive incidence for the main wing, shoved a freshly charged battery all the way forward in the fuselage, and gave it one last shot at flight...

And, at last, it flies (apologies for the video - it's not easy tracking a 6" green camouflaged plane against trees!):

Radio Control 1/72nd Scale A6M5 Zero (1 min 46 sec)

It's not the best flyer, but it's a flyer! With the HipHop receiver and the new battery, the AUW is now 3.25 grams, and with the hot 4ohm 4mm motor, it can easily loop from level flight. I may add an elevator actuator, since the HipHop receiver has 3 actuator outputs vs. the one on the Plantraco Rx.

Maybe now I'll finish the Pitts - it's only been 4 years...

Mike C.
Oct 16, 2021, 02:02 PM
Senior to who? Member
Agree on the elevator, should turn a decent flier into a excellent one. CONGRATS! awesome job and even more amazing to me you were able to convert to Hiphop- that had to be a fair hassle at that scale.
Oct 16, 2021, 02:51 PM
Aedificem ergo sum
Thread OP
It's easier when you don't care about the receiver you are yanking out . Thank goodness for Uhu... And luckily, I left the actuator wires plenty long so I could solder it up outside of the airframe. After soldering up to a Rabbit, the pads on a Grasshopper rx are positively huge!
Oct 16, 2021, 04:47 PM
Nice job. Probably get more out it with added dihedral, but it would ruin the good looks. Just the slightest amount of up elevator would make a world of difference in coordinated turns. I'm a fan of combining things on a single servo, such as ailerons/rudder on the Guillow's micro Stuka. It would be interesting to try short lengths of string attached from the rudder to the elevators, giving a bit of automatic up elevator on turns.
Last edited by AntiArf; Oct 16, 2021 at 05:10 PM.
Oct 17, 2021, 08:13 AM
Aedificem ergo sum
Thread OP
Yes, it is a little slow to turn, and seems to drag the tail a bit, so I do think a bit of yank would help the bank. Interesting idea to couple rudder/elevator, since it exhibits the typical "climb on left turn and dive on right turn" tendency from gyroscopic force or p-factor or whatever. I'll probably just retrofit an actuator driven elevator since the HipHop Rx has the extra actuator output and I conveniently printed an extra horizontal stabilizer back in 2015 or whenever it was I started this journey.
Oct 17, 2021, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiArf
Nice job. Probably get more out it with added dihedral, but it would ruin the good looks. Just the slightest amount of up elevator would make a world of difference in coordinated turns. I'm a fan of combining things on a single servo, such as ailerons/rudder on the Guillow's micro Stuka. It would be interesting to try short lengths of string attached from the rudder to the elevators, giving a bit of automatic up elevator on turns.
Very intersting idea!

Quick Reply