Dec 12, 2017, 05:09 PM
aka Tony
Thread OP
Build Log

Another Peter Rake Eastbourne Monoplane

This will be my first scale balsa build ever.
I hope to do the designers creation justice, however this thread could also turn out to be a cry for help.
I chose this design because of a fondness for early aviation.
Since I need to get all the help that I can , I chose to order the short kit from Manzano Laser Works.
I'm off to buy some sticks.
Cheers!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2017, 08:17 PM
Clancy
Way cool. This site has a lot of great builders and they love to put their two cents in.
Have fun and welcome.
Clancy
Dec 13, 2017, 08:12 AM
Neophyte hacker
Yep, and our advice is worth about two cents LOL

And...'great'... should probably be toned down a bit. Maybe prolific?
Dec 13, 2017, 09:01 AM
Good looking Cook+Maid needed
Eastbourne is on of my favorites, I will follow along.
Dec 13, 2017, 10:29 AM
Well, if you do get stuck I'm always here with advice. Not sure it's worth a whole 2 cents though.

Pete
Dec 13, 2017, 01:00 PM
aka Tony
Thread OP
Gentlemen:
Thank you so much for coming with me on this ride.
Charlie -
Two cents worth of advice from you and Peter is worth taking to the bank.
Peter -
As you can see, I do take advice, as evidenced by this build.
When I decided to jump right in to a scale build, the first thing I did was to make a new bench.
I wanted more bench space and wanted to try magnets.
Did not retire the old drafting board that I was using. Its sitting on the side In the event I decide to go back to pins.
So far, so good. Although it does bring its own set of problems.
Dec 13, 2017, 01:53 PM
If you don't already have one, I'd add a razor plane to your tool kit. Absolutely great for shaping leading and trailing edges.

Pete
Dec 13, 2017, 04:51 PM
aka Tony
Thread OP
Thanks very much Peter.
I thought I had one, but on examination, its pretty beat up.
Think it was given to me many years ago.
I'll have to order one up before I get to the wings.
Scratch...
Dec 13, 2017, 07:43 PM
Neophyte hacker
I agree. I went for several years without one. As inexpensive as it is probably the best money you'll ever spend on a tool. And I love how long the blades last. Razor saw is close behind it.

The thing I 'splurge' on is sanding sticks. Beauty supply store black ones. 100 grit mostly. 200 grit for final sanding. I get the large squarish end ones that have a foam core and the tapered thinner ones.

charlie
Dec 14, 2017, 07:48 AM
Love those magnets. I have a similar bench and magnets. I'm curious about the laminated layup. How much soaking did you need to give the strips and what glue did you use? I tried a similar layup and the magnets, same as your photo shows, didn't have the strength to hold the strips as securely as yours appear to.
sp
Dec 14, 2017, 08:13 AM
Neophyte hacker
I like to use 1/32 balsa for laminated layups. I just wipe it with a wet paper towel until the strip was soaked and then pull around the form.

Best for me is to wet, form and let dry. Then take apart, apply glue and put it back on the form. I always use wood glue (PVA type).

If it is a larger part I add a strip or two of 1/64 ply in the middle of the stack. Makes the assembly really stiff.

charlie
Dec 14, 2017, 08:20 AM
Doh! That 1/64 strip is genius. I really like that idea. The covering puts a lot of stress on a laminated edge and I can imagine the strip of 1/64 ply really helps. Too late for the Sop Tripe I am currently working on, but just the ticket for the Nie.17 that is next up after the tripe.
sp
Dec 14, 2017, 09:37 AM
Neophyte hacker
Wasn't my idea but it works great. I tried the ply on the inside and did not get good glue joints. Outside and it is too hard to sand. Inside it works great. I put on one strip of balsa, then the ply then 3 or more strips of balsa. Use a good sandable glue so you can easily shape it when done.

charlie
Dec 14, 2017, 09:50 AM
aka Tony
Thread OP
These are the magnets that I am using, Master Magnetics CA41LWHX24 .
Can be found online at the usual suspects.
The metal plates on the cabinet magnets seem to make them too strong. I'll remove them for my continued building.
Although they worked well for holding the laminated pieces.
Using Titebond II wood glue.
Warning:
Read a post that parchment paper can be used as protection over plans.
I used it between the laminated tail section and the metal surface of my work bench.
Here's what I got:
Dec 14, 2017, 10:02 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE
If you don't already have one, I'd add a razor plane to your tool kit. Absolutely great for shaping leading and trailing edges.

Pete
Most modern razor planes are, IMHO, crap. And I have tried every one I could get my hands on over the last 50 years.

If you can find one, the Wil-Kro (sometimes spelled Wilkro, even by the company) is the best out there. They turn up on eBay from time to time (search under both name versions).

They adapt to long body, short body, bullnose and curved sole work. The blade is easy to adjust (unlike most razor planes) and the thing just works.

Tom

Quick Reply