Trump signs bill reinstating the FAA’s drone registration requirement - RC Groups
Dec 12, 2017, 01:59 PM
Imperial Pilot
Discussion

Trump signs bill reinstating the FAA’s drone registration requirement

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-sig...191928630.html

It's apparently a small part of a National Defense bill. As the article says, Trump probably didn't even know this was in the bill, so the headline is a bit misleading (though technically true).
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2017, 04:09 PM
Who cares. Good luck enforcing this. I ignored this last time and I will ignore it again. Been in this hobby for 20+ years. Not going to let the new non-modeler drone pilots ruin my hobby. They are the ones breaking the rules so they can deal with the AMA and FAA.
Dec 12, 2017, 04:09 PM
Ugh.. seriously? I just want to share flying planes with my kids and friends. Super irritating. Way to focus on the real problems. I already have mine from last time unless there is some new b.s. they have slipped in.
Dec 12, 2017, 04:12 PM
Mine should still be valid as well. You should be able to keep your number if you didnt ask for a refund from what ama has posted on their website.
Dec 12, 2017, 05:18 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogCrewChief
Who cares. Good luck enforcing this. I ignored this last time and I will ignore it again. Been in this hobby for 20+ years. Not going to let the new non-modeler drone pilots ruin my hobby. They are the ones breaking the rules so they can deal with the AMA and FAA.
Q: Do only drones and multirotor operators need to register?
A: No. Anyone who flies a model that is over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) and uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register. If you exclusively fly models under .55 pounds, indoors, CL, or FF - you do not need to register.
Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
Dec 12, 2017, 05:30 PM
I just logged on the FAA website and my registration is still valid and due to expire by end of next year
Dec 12, 2017, 05:32 PM
I know. I wasn’t asking a question. I don’t care about the rule, they can’t enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery
A: No. Anyone who flies a model that is over 0.55 lbs (or 250 grams) and uses a ground-control system with a communications link, such as an RC transmitter, is required to register. If you exclusively fly models under .55 pounds, indoors, CL, or FF - you do not need to register.
Dec 12, 2017, 07:43 PM
Meh, I'm still registered from last time.

As far as thinking this is a weekend expensive toy user problem only, i think that is some selective reasoning. While yes, the proliferation of quads has led to this as well as the recording of flights, the actual dangers of the hobby have existed long before and unrelated to quads, fpv or even gps assisted flying. It's simply a popularity issue that makes it something to regulate.

I don't know of anyone dying from some idiot's quad copter regardless of how they are flying it. I do know of a death from a regular model helicopter flying los on an ama field by a hobby enthusiast. Pretending like the issue is only one community's fault is misleading. It's the nature of any activity that reaches a certain level of popularity.
Dec 12, 2017, 07:52 PM
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Apparently if you fly purly for fun you dont have to register becuse you still fall under the "special rule" part 336
So baisically renstating laws that are ALREADY in effect...
Fly for fun- no regestration.
Fly for money- NEED registration AND permits.
Dec 12, 2017, 08:04 PM
The fact that the FAA had to sneak this in along with National Defense Bill and God knows what else is in this one, says a great deal about how the little emperors in Washington go about dealing with the peons.
This is how things are done in Washington. Of course congress has no idea what's in this bill so they voted for it anyway.
Just remember this the next time you stand in line to take part in the futile exercise called voting.
Dec 12, 2017, 08:19 PM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/
Apparently if you fly purly for fun you dont have to register becuse you still fall under the "special rule" part 336
So baisically renstating laws that are ALREADY in effect...
Fly for fun- no regestration.
Fly for money- NEED registration AND permits.
There's a lot of conflicting info on the FAA site. This page has an animation showing quad, heli, and fixed wing craft with an RC TX in the foreground with the caption:

Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?
You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg).

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

The AMA website has the Q&A I posted earlier (read the bold part):

Latest blog entry: Old RC Pics for George
Dec 12, 2017, 08:58 PM
Culper Junior
So I'll take my rc stuff out of my rc models and fly them Free Flight. Then quit the AMA cause I don't need them anymore. Seriously, if my representative, or senator let me be legislated like this I'd vote against them.
Dec 12, 2017, 09:23 PM
What does this button do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
So I'll take my rc stuff out of my rc models and fly them Free Flight. Then quit the AMA cause I don't need them anymore. Seriously, if my representative, or senator let me be legislated like this I'd vote against them.
Ah yes voting. People blithely vote for whatever not having a clue as to what the rep ACTUALLY does and votes for and passes. Voters not having a care in the world as to how their neighbor is doing but until something has an actual effect on themselves then well how could they the voter screams and declares that thereafter that rep won't get their vote. All along thinking...yeah less taxes...yeah less government. Until the rep votes to pass things that actually affects them.
Where were you to begin with?
Dec 12, 2017, 09:46 PM
Culper Junior
Hey, I attend a lot of pre election activities and read up a lot about candidates and incumbents. I know ( as well as one can) who I'm voting for.
Dec 12, 2017, 11:11 PM

Quick Reply