Horizon Hobby/Blade Inductrix FPV + RCGroups Review - RC Groups

Horizon Hobby/Blade Inductrix FPV + RCGroups Review

Here is the next generation of the Inductrix family. This one is powerful and ready for some FPV fun!

Splash

The Inductrix FPV + Quadcopter

This is the next iteration of the Inducxtrix FPV drone. This 8mm motor Inductrix is ready to get you in the air and FPVing super fast. It features an integrated camera and video transmitter. It also has an LED tail light in case you like to fly in packs or like to FPV race (on a micro scale). This Bind-N-Fly unit retails for $139.99.

The SAFE technology gives you 3 modes to choose from. The ducted propeller design allows you to bounce off walls and objects without crashing and I really tested that feature out on mine! The "Meow Mode" automatically flips the quadcopter back upright after a crash by quickly reversing the motor direction. This is super handy and could keep you from having to run upstairs just to get the Inductrix FPV + back in the air.

This is a very durable, easy to fly, micro quad that is great for pilots wanting to get into FPV or for experienced FPV pilots that want a hopped up micro quad to fly indoors or out.

The RCG Review Video

Inductrix FPV Plus Review - RCGroups.com (17 min 32 sec)

Needed to Complete

• 5+ Channel Spektrum Transmitter
  • Compatible 5.8GHz Video Receiver or Headset

What's in the box?

• (1) Blade Inductrix FPV + BNF
  • (1) EDF Power System
  • (1) FPV Camera/Video Transmitter
  • (1) 500mAh 1S LiPo Flight Battery
  • (1) USB Charger
  • (1) User Manual

Manual

Click here for the online PDF manual.

Features

Meow Mode

We thought this got it's name from the sound but it turns out that just like a cat, the Inductrix FPV + will always land on its feet...with a push of your bind button. This came in handy in my house excursions and while outside. You can see this demonstrated in my review video.

Inductrix + Meow Mode Overview (1 min 8 sec)

SAFE Technology

• Angle Mode: Keeps you flying fast and in control with renowned self-leveling. This is like flying through thick air.
  • Altitude Mode: Maintains distance from ground while providing self-leveling, perfect for beginners. This is an all around great mode to fly in.
  • Agility Mode: Freshly tuned agility mode takes full advantage of the 8mm motors, with no self-leveling and full acrobatic capabilities. This will make you feel like you screaming through space!

Power System

The new power system uses a 1S 500mAh lipo that drives new 8mm brushed motors and larger propellers for more power. Once a popular mod, the larger high-current PH2.0 UM Connector delivers consistent current to motors and electronics for long, reliable flight times form 4-6 minutes.

Camera & Video Transmitter

The Induxtrix FPV + is small and that means the video TX and camera have to be super light. The on-board video transmitter has 32 channels, and a 25mW video transmitter. The light and durable dipole antenna takes away any worry of breaking your antenna in a crash. The 600 TVL camera has a 140° field of view and you need that when your flying a craft this small.

LED Tail Light

The LED tail light provides a light for line-of-sight flying, or flying with friends. You have 5 colors to choose from. This would come in handy if you plan to do some micro FPV racing.

Durable

I really tested the durability of this unit against walls, windows, tree limbs and more! The enclosed blades help keep you in the air and stop you from breaking blades. The enclosed canopy protects the camera, video transmitter, and flight controller. While I didn't intentionally stress test this unit I will say that if it was going to break...I would have have broken it by now! It's tough!!

Conclusion

I had a blast getting to know the Inductrix FPV +! I flew it indoors and out and didn't have any issues. It has power to spare and enough FPV transmitting power to get me all the way down the block (as seen in my video). When couple with a good transmitter and some Fatshark goggles it's a tiny team that can be flown just about anywhere! Since this review I have ordered more batteries and spare props because I plan on taking this little FPV quad with me on trips. i give it the Jim T. stamp of approval. It rocks!

Links

Blade Inductrix FPV + BNF

Blade Inductrix FPV + RTF with DVR

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Jan 04, 2018, 04:14 PM
RCG Admin
Bought one! Love it too.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:30 PM
Yup! This thing is my new favourite indoor toy! I got mine in mid November and I can't stop flying the little bugger. At work, at friend's houses... I take it pretty much everywhere. And I can also vouch for it's durability as well. When Jim T says it's tough, he ain't kidding!

I can't wait to see what Horizon does next in micro quads. I'd love to see something in a brushless model for the next one. But for now, this thing is like crack!
Jan 05, 2018, 09:18 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Are these WHOOPS ever compatible with FUTABA radios? If not, its probably why i dont have one.

Jan 05, 2018, 05:03 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Are these WHOOPS ever compatible with FUTABA radios? If not, its probably why i dont have one.

Nope, not the legitimate Inductrix products from Horizon, Spektrum only. Maybe you should give it a try, the Spektrum stuff might just be better than you think!

*For full disclosure please note I work at Horizon, I am on the manuals team. Before I moved to Illinois to work here I flew Futaba. I have been flying FPV with Spektrum for almost 6 years now with no problems at all.... I often bring my Inductrix + to work with me and wait for everyone to leave at the end of the day so I can really get it moving
Jan 05, 2018, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
Nope, not the legitimate Inductrix products from Horizon, Spektrum only. Maybe you should give it a try, the Spektrum stuff might just be better than you think!

*For full disclosure please note I work at Horizon, I am on the manuals team. Before I moved to Illinois to work here I flew Futaba. I have been flying FPV with Spektrum for almost 6 years now with no problems at all.... I often bring my Inductrix + to work with me and wait for everyone to leave at the end of the day so I can really get it moving
I would use Spektrum for the low range FPV,
but what turns me off is the menu?
It is like the Taranis...it is sooo difficult to use compared to Futaba menu.

I threw away my Taranis Tx's....lol
Frustrated with the horrible menu.

P.S
Is there a way we can copy and paste a similiar Futaba menu
into the Spektrum?
Jan 05, 2018, 05:47 PM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
I would use Spektrum for the low range FPV,
but what turns me off is the menu?
It is like the Taranis...it is sooo difficult to use compared to Futaba menu.

I threw away my Taranis Tx's....lol
Frustrated with the horrible menu.

P.S
Is there a way we can copy and paste a similiar Futaba menu
into the Spektrum?
have you played with the newest airware radios (every Spektrum radio out now)? If you are thinking of the original Spektrum DX7 or something, it has changed a lot since then and I find it pretty simple and intuitive, we get a lot of people going to us for the ease of use. I think many would agree current airware are not at all like a taranis. I'm getting used to (and spoiled by) the new iX12, its android based, way overkill for the Inductrix plus, but I'm having loads of fun

I don't think there is any way to change the menus in the radios, sorry.
Jan 05, 2018, 05:57 PM
Aaron
The Taranis Tx menu sucked sooo bad that everytime
i wanted to change simple expo/dual rate/ voltage.etc....
i had to watch (re-watch) Youtube tutorials everytime...LOL..
Funny but super annoying to the extreme.
I literally threw away that TX in the trash!!!

Is everything opposite on the new Spektrum's?
ie.... (-) expo is numb in center on the Futaba which makes sense.....
Jan 07, 2018, 01:27 AM
Not a knock on Spektrum radios at all but for me they're actually too good which makes them overly complicated. And I agree on the Taranis, I gave mine to a neibourhood kid and I had the new one. I'm using a Flysky now and love it and it does everything I need. I have a GX8 G2 and use it for my planes and use my Flysky Fs-i6 for my racing and FPV quads as well as for helis.
Jan 08, 2018, 08:52 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Aaron
The Taranis Tx menu sucked sooo bad that everytime
i wanted to change simple expo/dual rate/ voltage.etc....
i had to watch (re-watch) Youtube tutorials everytime...LOL..
Funny but super annoying to the extreme.
I literally threw away that TX in the trash!!!

Is everything opposite on the new Spektrum's?
ie.... (-) expo is numb in center on the Futaba which makes sense.....
Spektrum was originally built on JR hardware, and for other reasons it made sense to carry on the positive expo thing. But thats really the only thing thats "backward" and in many cases it won't matter because there is a graph to represent what the response will be. One benefit of the Spektrum radios is all the radios from the DX6e up to the DX20 all use the same airware firmware system, so info from friends or online is readily available. I've studied/used every single aspect of the features in these radios at one point or another, if you ever need help just shoot me a message, I've found it all pretty workable once I've used it.

A few years ago Andy Kunz put the FPV menu together to add to the trainer menu to suit every need I could think of for head tracking. The features are there for both wired and wireless buddy box, so you can reassign head tracker channels, reverse the head tracker signal, scale the output, and assign the trainer to any switch. We also have a really cool VTX control system intrated now, (works with the Tramp, so my Mojo for instance has this) that lets the pilot assign frequency, band, and power level from the transmitter. This is now in every current Spektrum radio (and available with a firmware update if you got a compatible airware radio before we came out with this). The iX12 now take this all to the next level with Crossfire support, and with the android I can do other fun stuff too, but all the airware radios have most of the same powerful FPV features for headtracking and VTX frequency control.
Jan 08, 2018, 09:01 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcaferacer
Not a knock on Spektrum radios at all but for me they're actually too good which makes them overly complicated. And I agree on the Taranis, I gave mine to a neibourhood kid and I had the new one. I'm using a Flysky now and love it and it does everything I need. I have a GX8 G2 and use it for my planes and use my Flysky Fs-i6 for my racing and FPV quads as well as for helis.
Everything has room for improvement, but I don't see the advantage to the Fs-i6. I don't think thats a bad little radio at all, but I don't think its any easier than a Spektrum radio. It seems to me its not that its easier to program, just that it has a much more limited features list, so I guess from that regard you could say its easier because it is far more limited. I find it kind of funny you use it for helis, I'm sure it gets the job done, but its very limited for that application, and your Spektrum radio would have everything a Pro heli pilot would need
Jan 09, 2018, 08:09 AM
This looks nice enough if you want Spektrum compatibility. Otherwise you can get a brushless equivalent with Betaflight, BLHeli ESCs, OSD etc. for similar money (DYS Elf) ...
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jan 09, 2018, 07:08 PM
Why are most HORIZON BLade Products Spektrum nanoQuads (Whoops) have brushed motors?....
while the chinese versions have higher quality Brushless motors?
Jan 10, 2018, 08:27 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Why are most HORIZON BLade Products Spektrum nanoQuads (Whoops) have brushed motors?....
while the chinese versions have higher quality Brushless motors?
The brushless equivalents are usually heavier and more powerful at this size (the DYS elf is 80g vs 48g of the inductrix +), too much for indoors for most people IMHO. The Inductrix + is very fast in a large office setting, I need to get my video posted... I love the light feel of the Inductrix +, brushless quads are simply different, there is a lot more mass there. Brushed isn't bad at this scale, motors are easily replaced without tools, and brushless motors are more delicate and require soldering and screws.

Comparing the costs with the DYS is kind of apples to oranges. there are different completion levels (RTF vs RTF don't both include a monitor/ headset, charger etc.) and different levels of support available. Horizon offers top notch customer support for the Inductrix +.
Jan 10, 2018, 04:30 PM
Of course there are similar (but much cheaper) lightweight brushed quads available ... Kingkong's Tiny6 & Tiny7 for example. I'm sure Horizon support is a plus in the US but probably less so elsewhere - the UK centre got closed down
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review

Quick Reply