Dec 12, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Scratch build 1.2m balsa build-up Polyhedral Experiment

I was bored and waiting for my hip to get better (pulled muscle or something....painful) so I decided to experiment and build a balsa build-up polyhedral 1.2m DLG, for fun. I named it XP-1 for experimental plane one. I hand drew up a plan and plotted some AG-12 airfoil ribs for fun just to see what would happen. Originally I was going to make it a flapperon model, then changed my mind. When you get old your allowed to do that. I scratch built the fuselage based on the Falke fuselage, then fiberglassed it and painted it. If and when my hip gets better I'll maiden it. It's a bit of a porker as its auw is 10.5 ounces. If it launches and flies half way decent I'll build another one and be a little more careful with the build and I'm sure I can drop an ounce or two. I may even add flaps. Anyway here's some pictures. I'm not real happy with the covering or the colors. I used what I had on hand from other projects.

Enjoy, or don't

Eddie
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2017, 12:42 PM
Thread OP

More pictures

Continuing and making it a polyhedral. I got a little carried away trying to stiffen it up and that's what added the weight. I ended up cutting come carbon spar braces for the poly breaks and fiber glassing the joints. Then like a dummy I added diagonal braces (more weight). Anyway, here it is.
Dec 12, 2017, 04:23 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Very nice Eddie!
Dec 12, 2017, 04:52 PM
New at this whole life thing
I bet it flies great!

Quick Reply