View Poll Results: Please select options below - you can select more than one.
Will you need a hotel room? 27 58.70%
Will You be camping onsite? 6 13.04%
Would you like a nearby (2 mi) RV spot with hookups? 6 13.04%
Will you have an RV onsite? 10 21.74%
Would you prefer the hotel to be in Primm again? 5 10.87%
Would you prefer the hotel to be closer to Vegas (e.g. Southpoint)? 15 32.61%
Do you want food catered at the field like last year? 37 80.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Dec 12, 2017, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
Contest

F3J/F5J in Las Vegas 2018

I am pleased to announce that the sod farm has approved our request and we will again host a combined F3J/F5J weekend.
Save the date for May 4-7. F3J on May 4/5 and F5J on May 6/7.

The event will be at the same sod farm, but the exact circle is not yet determined. Thursday will be available for setup and practice for F3J and we are working on having a practice area for the F5J pilots on Saturday.

We will likely have catered food again, but if we do it will be reserved and paid for in advance at registration time.

We will be limiting the entrants for F3J to 14 teams and 5 pilots per team. Juniors will fly in the same groups as the Seniors. F5J will be limited to 80 pilots.

Registration will open Monday morning January 8 at 8:00AM MST for past participants. Tuesday morning January 9 at 8:00AM we will open general registration.

I have attached a poll to this thread to collect some data about participation. Please contribute to the poll. This will help me coordinate the accommodations.

If you have suggestions on how to make this event better - this is the place and time to contribute.

I am looking forward to a great event.
Jim
Last edited by jimsoars; Dec 27, 2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added catering info
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2017, 07:29 PM
Thanks Jim. Looking forward to this years event!!
Dec 13, 2017, 12:43 AM
Thread OP
Here are the historical weather charts for the dates of the event since 2010.
Enjoy... Jim
Dec 13, 2017, 10:10 AM
RV7guy

Flawed information

The charts clearly say Jean Nevada. This is NOT Sandy Valley. SV is in a valley between two mountain ranges. This funnel affect is going to cause wind.

There will be wind. Why not move this to Albuquerque? Two nice grass fields available and less chance of wind, better logistics, less dust, good hotels, better parking, no banjo music.

I'm not sure of the allure of Sandy Valley. The ONLY thing good about it is the grass. I was talking to one of locals serving lunch on the second day of 3J. The windy day for 3J. He said he was shocked when he found out that someone wanted to have a model contest at the site and even more shocked when he found out it was a "glider" contest. He said the wind always blows to some level and if you do manage to get a calm day, the days before or after are going to be really windy. This pretty much was the case.

I appreciate what you done and your efforts to find a suitable grass site but this simply is not the right fit for our hobby. If we are being honest, I'm very confident many feel this way and whether they speak up or not is another matter. Just being real. Don't want to be the hair in the frosting but facts are facts. I know this isn't what you want to hear but......
Dec 13, 2017, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
Darwin - you are welcome to your opinion. There are more than one factor that caused the site to be selected including , proximity to California, having Las Vegas as a destination, being able to schedule near another international event (IHLG) as well as the field logistics.

Wind, and any kind of weather is one of the things that we can't predict with precision. We had 2 nice practice days before, we had 2 good days for F3J and one horrid day for F5J, and one OK day for F5J. That is not really a bad record. Somewhere else it might be rain, I have been in Phoenix at the SWC for both horrid rain and wicked wind. Weather happens.

If it is consistently bad then people will vote with their attendance. As you may recall, I did a poll of the pilots after last years event and the large majority indicated they wanted it to be repeated at that location.

You are welcome to organize your own event somewhere that will suck all the pilots away... Make it happen...

Jim
Dec 13, 2017, 11:06 AM
RV7guy

Not opinion

Deleted... we are talking back line.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Last edited by dnbarrie11; Dec 13, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
Dec 13, 2017, 02:01 PM
Dont really understand the slam on the good people of Sandy Valley. "banjo music, only good thing about it is the grass" Really?
Only contest ive been to where the entire town welcomed us with open arms.

EVERY field has issues:
Phoenix-Small field, hard as concrete, never felt welcome at Schemp Farms, trees, the lumber yard, ha-boob, very windy at times, flooded field 1 year, snow (well grapple) one year, hotel 45 min away and expensive at that.
Alb:
Balloon Park is great to fly on but full of obstacles, never know when balloons will show up and they have priority, expensive to rent, huge towers within reach
Moriarty- Haven't flown there in a long time but as I remember dusty, long access road that is impassible when wet, very windy at times, nothing going on in town, 45 min to Alb., to far away from Poway (the International HL contest was scheduling OUR contest before we were so guys from Europe get more bang for their traveling buck, check out their thread)

You can throw stones at ANY field, and this contest is a response to the void left by the demise of the SWC where F3J and F5J were not really welcome anyway. This is another chance to fly with a more international crowd. Come on down, lets fly!!!
Dec 13, 2017, 02:58 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOLOVINS
this contest is a response to the void left by the demise of the SWC where F3J and F5J were not really welcome anyway. This is another chance to fly with a more international crowd. Come on down, lets fly!!!
Umm, the demise of the F3J in the desert at the Farm had zero to do with the demise of the SWC. The SWC and the F3J contest were separate events run separately. Jim was welcome to continue using that site and could have done it at the same time as the traditional SWC dates. He chose not to do so. Oh, and that location is VERY welcoming of F5J. They just had one of the largest F5J contests ever held there.
Dec 13, 2017, 03:44 PM
Sorry my bad...
Dec 13, 2017, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
To be clear - we outgrew the Schepf Farm field - we were not displaced.
I had many complaints about limiting the entries and teams that were on the ends had much more difficult flying and landing.

I try to listen to those that participate and chose to move the event to a location that had more room. Simple as that.

If the weather sucks and pilots don't want it in Vegas - then it will be over. It's not rocket science - these things only happen if the pilots attend.

We are a couple weeks later and we should have improved conditions. THERE WILL BE WIND! I'm not expecting another blowout like the first day of 5J but anything can happen.

I'm looking forward to a fun 2 events.
Jim
Dec 14, 2017, 09:08 PM
NorCal Electric Soaring (NES)

My .02 on the wind

I'm sympathetic to Darwin's concern that Sandy Valley's wind tendencies be understood but I also get Jim's position: there is no perfect site and it's impossible to please everyone. At the F5J event in late April (I was co-CD with Lenny Keer) I saw many pilots unprepared for the wind. I remember seeing ultralights launching, unballasted, and lacking the power to move even a little bit forward. Many landings weren't pretty for these planes either.

The 2018 season is different. Everyone on the Tour now knows what to expect. And since later in the season there will be a Team Select event you would think guys would want to work out their windy strategies well before the TS. Well, this may be the best chance we get before the TS (where I bet they will fly to the FAI wind limit).

Chris
Dec 15, 2017, 11:21 AM
I've been sloping in the surrounding mountains around Sandy Valley for the past ten years; it's going to be windy right up until June at which point the furnace is turned on. It's just the way it is here in the southwest during the spring, nothing new. Bring lots of lead.

Mike
Dec 16, 2017, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
For those of you concerned about the wind - here is more specific Sandy Valley info. It shows a slightly lower average wind condition with 9.5mph average and not over 13 to the 90th percentile. So while we will have wind I don't expect a blowout. Caca happens - and can happen anywhere, but the averages indicate flyable conditions.

https://weatherspark.com/y/2226/Aver...tes-Year-Round

I also have contacted the Sandy Valley community organizer and they are thrilled we will be back. Community organizations will again cater our 4 days of lunches. We will have the exact costs completed before registration opens and you can choose to have food and pay for it during the registration process.

Jim
Dec 17, 2017, 06:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
So..................... are the F3J tour events set for '18? If so, besides this one, when and where?
Dec 19, 2017, 03:04 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I received a reply from DP on fb about this... and the board is still working on it. I jumped the gun a bit... my apologies... I just thought I'd missed it somehow. They'll let us know. Thanks for all you guys do!

Darth Impatient...

Quick Reply