This thread is privately moderated by Doug Simmons, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 11, 2017, 11:22 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Thread OP
Help!

juicing up my youtubes?

Oh man if I could parlay my RC addiction into something that produces enough cash to cover my rent and to replace my wrecked airplanes... I've got the hang of flying, I've got the hang of filming, I've got the hang of editing. But I've made a hundred videos and only have 49 subscribers, not even close to bother turning on ads. I'd like to shove my fledgling channel into search visibility, which might take a thousand subs after which I suspect it becomes much easier to accumulate more.

Take Flyin' Ryan. This guy makes simple RC review videos, the format generally is several minutes split in half, the first half talking about the plane or helicopter or drone (usually drones), and then he flies the thing in a small room, banging around the walls in a lighthearted, comical and endearing way.

Silverlit - Pico Falcon (2015 World's Smallest RC Helicopter) - Review and Flight (7 min 56 sec)

That video has 2.6M views, a no-budget video of a tiny Radio Shack-tier heli. No script, not much editing involved; it might take maybe, I don't know, three hours to produce a clip from unboxing to posting. However long it takes him it's definitely less than I spend on a single two minute clip. I go crazy trying to perfect everything. Here's my desk working on my next video. Overkill, I know, and proof of no return on excessive editing; but I'm a bit OCD.

If he monetized that well, that single seven minute video might have already made him in the neighborhood of five grand AND a free tiny collective pitch helicopter (when you've got enough subscribers they start sending you free stuff to "review"). I'm not looking to search for RC channels of high subscribers and copy them, I'd like to preserve my own style to a degree, so right now I'm interested in youtube optimization. For example, I know videos between 30s and 2m generate the most views (on average, not specific to RC). I also know that posting on the wrong time of a day of the wrong day of the week is shooting yourself in the foot.

TL;DR: Here's one of my better videos. What could I have done differently that would have made you more likely to watch the full thing and subscribe?

QQ Extra 300, training day #2, twilight flight! (1 min 19 sec)

Thanks fellas.
Doug
Latest blog entry: Funcub Heavy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2017, 01:33 PM
R/C Superfan
This may or may not be true but I have heard it is more difficult to grow a smaller channel no then it was a few years ago and some channels started a few years ago have grown substantially as a result of the way yputube worked then./I hear you I also have been at it for a couple years now and have a coulpe hundered subs,just gotta stay with it and be active within the youtube community ./Heading over to check out your channel now and here is mine if you would like to have a look https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPV..._as=subscriber
Dec 11, 2017, 02:03 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Thread OP
I heard the same I think in a Tim Pool video on the youtube "adpocalypse" in that youtube appears to limit visibility of content from budding channels unless a video gets a certain rate of initial views after which they break through a resistance barrier and are treated more favorably by the algorithms even if they were demonitized.

Contemplating spending a few bucks on an ad to my channel. The smallest amount to see what kind of apparent return I'd get. Youtube might reward such behavior.
Dec 11, 2017, 06:46 PM
Have fun
Such is show business. Someone else can get very succesful with little effort and talent if they are in the right place at the right time. I feel for you man, in the professional aerial photography business skills doesnt help me get jobs at all, its all marketing and experience sadly, kindve like the chicken and the egg?
Dec 12, 2017, 12:58 AM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Last edited by DJO; Jan 06, 2018 at 02:23 AM.
Dec 12, 2017, 01:08 AM
DJO
DJO
"Yo, that's a thermal"
Quote:
Originally Posted by aben71 View Post
This may or may not be true but I have heard it is more difficult to grow a smaller channel no then it was a few years ago and some channels started a few years ago have grown substantially as a result of the way yputube worked then.
Very true, both the adpocalypse and the subscriber bug have killed off small channels left and right for more than a few months now.

YouTube has a monopoly and they know it, so they set their own rules and the creators end up taking the hit.
Dec 12, 2017, 08:48 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Thread OP
Well... Especially with many, many people churning out content in this niche of professional caliber as you noted, cutting up footage of my fixed wing flights, however beautiful the sunset and however high the frame rate and resolution, it sounds like I'll only continue to go sideways. With the market saturated and youtube having grown apparently disinterested in giving fledgling content producers a snowball's chance instead just pushing Jimmy Fallon and SNL clips, I'd have to start crashing into nuclear power plants and crashing into topless sunbathers who have shotguns. I'd have to go back to South Korea and sneak a drone on a tour of the DMZ, buzz the wall of propaganda speakers and crash into a landmine.

What might be worth trying is the bigger fish miniscule pond route, dumping my videos onto sites like vidme. Maybe with more provocative titles and thumbnails of questionable relevancy. Though I'm next to certain I'll be disappointed, at least I'll learn what happens if those in my shoes give that a try. And AdWords. Last time I checked the minimum buy-in is fifty bucks. That might be worth it for me if only as an experiment likely not to give me critical mass to break through total obscurity.

Oh hey I've got an idea. Maybe a good one too. Instead of just making airplane videos, I could mix in some commentary videos doing precisely what we're doing here in this thread, brainstorming out loud to viewers my misadventures in chasing for more views. This would more likely entice visitor engagement, commenting, which in turn might please the algorithms. One of those comments might contain the key to victory. Got to put myself in the shoes a viewer - yeah, amateur airplane videos over and over gets repetitive in a hurry, but someone sort of documenting their youtube struggles, even if he instead of offering suggestions only explains what new tactic failed, I'd be more likely to turn on notifications for such a channel.
Dec 13, 2017, 01:27 PM
my unsolicited two pesos. disclaimer: i may not be the kind of viewer you want, but here goes...

the videos/channels i watch inform me of products and how i can use them to do something i want to do - or do something i didn't know i could do. like fly 3D.

for this particular video it's just you flying around. i only watch it cause i know you in an internet sort of way and know your history. but in general i almost never watch videos of people flying because i really don't care.

i would really like to see a short video of your overall experience with this plane. why did you pick it? where did you get it? how did you set it up? what extra things did you need to buy to make it go? what radio are you using? why did you choose that one? what batteries do you recommend? how hard was it to set up CG?

if i had all of that knowledge i'd totally watch you fly this bird for a little bit at the end of a video.
Dec 16, 2017, 01:57 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Thread OP
That's perfect, I will do that [sort of thing], and I bet it will be measurably helpful. And more interesting for me.

Meanwhile, I just modified my formula. Maidening videos don't get shorter and ickier than this:

RC AIRPLANE CRASHES INTO EXPENSIVE CAMERA! Oops.. (0 min 27 sec)

Quick Reply