Wing warping on print bed - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 11, 2017, 04:42 AM
Discussion

Wing warping on print bed

I have been trying to print some wings however I they all tend to lift off the bed mainly at the TE but also at the LE a little too. I have tried using a raft which helped a little but still far from perfect. Im using a prusia mk2 s and pla filament at the standard settings.

Does any one have any tips on how to stop this?

Many thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2017, 07:10 AM
I have installed PEI on the bed, works great!
Even ABS will leave a residue on the PEI. You will not need glue to the PEI sheet.
Dec 11, 2017, 07:29 AM
the prusa comes standard with pei most things stick great without needing anything, I guess its just the plastic shrinking and due to the taper towards the TE it lifts
Dec 11, 2017, 07:46 AM
MMAC Brian. K
Heated encloser. I also add a brim to the part to extend the grip area.
Dec 11, 2017, 08:19 AM
Retired CAD guy
I use PEI but then use a 5 wide set of skirts and set the dist to 0 !
Bed Temp 60 print temp 220.

Let it Cool on the bed before removing.

Yeah I know it's a chore to carve off but this IS a modeling hobby
and you should already have some nice sharp exacto or Uber Skivers laying around.
Dec 11, 2017, 08:36 AM
cool ill try a adding the brim (im using slic3r and skit does not seam to touch the part) Not fussed about having to trim it of as before I was having to do major repairs to fill the gaps.

I will look into a cabinet also its just trying to find a nice one that will fit everything in
Dec 11, 2017, 08:45 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Has the bed been cleaned with isopropanol or acetone? This is a must.
Is the first layer thin like a sheet of paper? The pinda must be at about 1mm height before the all axis calibration. And then print the calibration file and then adjust the live Z to make it perfect.
Do you have 2 perimeters in the first millimetre of the wing? This is important to give the bottom part of the print a little bit of stiffness and area to adhere to the bed.
Are you printing very close to the extremities of the bed? -Corners are colder, even if the bed reads 60C or so the corners will be a bit colder.
Are you using an oiler on the filament? -Bad idea.

If you could purchase the mk2 you could do the extra mile and purchase simplify3d, its really worthy.
Dec 11, 2017, 08:48 AM
How about your Z offset?
Dec 11, 2017, 11:23 AM
z and first layer should be good I spent ages getting it nice and thin. yes two perimeters although going up to 3 I am pushing it a little on the center section on size but it has a bit of extra area on that so hoping that compensates a little.
no oiler and would like to get simplify 3D when I have some spare $$ but for the moment I just have to cope without it.

many thanks

Ps: with wings is it better to keep the sections not to big or can I go to the 200mm max height for each panel without worries?
Dec 11, 2017, 12:08 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
You´re welcome.

If the first layer it´s good and if your bed is completely free of grease then I would try another filament, another brand.

What extrusion and bed temperatures are you using?

You can print to the maximum height if the prints come out well, I do it when needed.
Dec 11, 2017, 12:13 PM
Retired CAD guy
I just finished all the Lil Schtik parts using ...

PLA + high temp Clear for the wings
and regular PLA orange for the Fuse

with 60 deg Bed and 220 on my hot end.

Parts seem strong and all stuck well to my PEI sheet .

Your mileage may vary.

Bob
Dec 11, 2017, 01:24 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Do you bake the high temp PLA? Specifically wing and fuselage sections?
Dec 11, 2017, 01:30 PM
I used the stock 210/55 settings I’m just trying 220/60 I did seam to get a few wrinkles on the first layer though
Dec 12, 2017, 08:14 AM
Retired CAD guy
Derf: I have not yet embraced the Annealing.
Dec 12, 2017, 10:44 AM
MMAC Brian. K
I usually print first layer with bed at 60c nozzle at 230 than drop temp to 50c/220c right on glass with blue glue stick. If the part has a big taper or is as large as bed I will add a brim to part only on 1st layer 2-3 perimeters. Also keeping drafts off print while printing helps so I made a foamboard enclosure that sits around printer. So far I have to wait till bed temp drops to remove parts. The only filament I run into sticking issues has been petg. It does stick to same glass but not as strong.

Quick Reply