Jan 28, 2018, 08:36 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2R
Kurt,

Was it one plunge, or did you need to reheat the wire multiple times to make it all the way to the aileron servo?
As I recall it took several attempts. You don't need a very large piece of piano wire.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2018, 10:50 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Thanks Kurt.
Jan 29, 2018, 08:12 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
I used a piece of about 3/32" or 1/8" heated piano wire as I recall. IRRC it took one or two dips into the foam. I also had the wing laying on the bench and ran the wire along the inside of the skin where I wanted the hole. Didn't take much heat.
Jan 29, 2018, 06:38 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Ok. Thanks Mark.
Feb 03, 2018, 10:12 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Picked up a new router bit from the local hardware store. This time I did the hole in two passes, the first at half-depth. This along with the fresh, sharp bit seemed to prevent the foam from tearing out of the bottom.
Feb 04, 2018, 07:40 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
AAAH, much cleaner cut, even through the balsa!
Feb 04, 2018, 05:12 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark
AAAH, much cleaner cut, even through the balsa!

Today, I installed the towhook mount. I also double checked the wing joiner hole by creating a template traced from the actual wingroot. The pilot I drilled was right on the money.

I also tried to drill a wire tunnel using a sharpened 3/8" brass tube. I got half way to the aileron servo pocket and gouged the balsa from the inside and penetrated the skin. It is fixable with some lightweight spackle. However, i'm going to move on to using a hot wire to create the tunnel.
Feb 05, 2018, 07:56 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2R
I also tried to drill a wire tunnel using a sharpened 3/8" brass tube. I got half way to the aileron servo pocket and gouged the balsa from the inside and penetrated the skin. It is fixable with some lightweight spackle. However, i'm going to move on to using a hot wire to create the tunnel.
Actually the hot wire is much easier than you might think, it doesn't need to be cherry red. Also, another way to create a root template is to drill a hole for your joiner in a piece of plywood or some other sheet of material that is larger than the wing root. Put the joiner in the wing and the sheet of material over it at the root. Then trace around the the wing root, remove and cut out your template. I used that method to make shims to fill alignment gaps on a Spectrum 2 meter that has Fred Sage wings.

Mark
Feb 05, 2018, 06:03 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarmark
Actually the hot wire is much easier than you might think, it doesn't need to be cherry red. Also, another way to create a root template is to drill a hole for your joiner in a piece of plywood or some other sheet of material that is larger than the wing root. Put the joiner in the wing and the sheet of material over it at the root. Then trace around the the wing root, remove and cut out your template. I used that method to make shims to fill alignment gaps on a Spectrum 2 meter that has Fred Sage wings.

Mark
Nice, Mark. This is why I love RCGroups.
Feb 08, 2018, 09:10 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Success! The hot wire worked, and the tunnel now extends to the aileron servo nook.
Feb 09, 2018, 12:06 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
Today, the tunnel for the other wing came out well too. Moving on...
Jul 17, 2018, 01:21 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
I finished my F3-RES build, so now I can come back to this.

Good thing about this build log is that I was able to use it to see where I left off.
Sep 04, 2018, 04:14 PM
Air Crash Expert
R2R, any more progress?
I have an old 880 awaiting refurb and do appreciate any advice.
Last edited by sawman; Nov 06, 2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: update
Dec 25, 2018, 09:17 PM
R2R
R2R
St Augustine RC Flyers
Thread OP
I finally got a little bit done on the Falcon -- just some razor planing of the LE basswood to take away excess wood and rough in the shape before hitting with sandpaper.
Jul 29, 2019, 05:38 PM

Stab for Thermal Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weav
Hey... R2R.... I don't know your name....

I made the Stab Bellcranks for Flite Lite Composites and Airtronics ... I also made the Composite Flap and Aileron horns...
Will be glad to ship them to you at No Charge.... The bell crank alone was a huge improvement. And it will fit your Stab tubes even though you already bonded them into place. I sent you a PM with some info......
Enjoy your build.... The Falcon 880 was a HUGE leap in Soaring technology back when Mark Allen first drew it up and made it. I remember flying one that belonged to a very young Bob McGowan at a high school in the Fremont area of Calif.... It flew so good..... and I mean SO GOOD... There is a reason many people built them and ultimately the Thermal Eagle... Those two airplanes really made huge inroads to higher performance Soaring during the late 1980's. The Thermal Eagle used the RG15 airfoils and really made for a slippery sailplane.
Anyway, I'm just trying to help you out. Send me some info so I can send you some parts.
Thanks,
Fred Weaver
Flite Lite Composites
Hi Fred.
I have a Flite Lite Composites Thermal Eagle that I want to start flying. I finished it many years ago, but never flew it. I just started flying again after a 20 year layoff. I have all of the parts to the TE, except the stab. Do you have any spares, or plans for building one? Thanks a bunch. Steve

Quick Reply