Converting Great Planes FW-190 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 10, 2017, 10:45 PM
Discussion

Converting Great Planes FW-190

Hello all, I recently acquired an old Great Planes FW-190 1400mm that I'm converting from GAS to ELECTRIC

The plane has been through the mill a few times - a few hard landings and at least one crash. This was basically a "If you can fix it, you can keep it" deal. The original owner kept the engine and all the associated gas hardware, but left the the servos installed. I have tested them and they still work, despite the plane having never left the ground in over a decade.

I've repaired all the damage and got the wings reattached, put in new bolts, screws, etc. Now the last step is I need to get an electric motor for it. Unfortunately, this is WAY out of my area of expertise, so I'm looking for any advice I can get on what kind of motor, EC and battery setup I need to get this thing back in the air.

What I'd REALLY like to find is anyone who actually OWNS this model plane or, better yet, someone who has done a similar conversion. I found a thread here from WAY back in 2011 of someone doing a conversion on this same plane, but unfortunately the thread never included a conclusion :/

So any advice someone could give me would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!

Pete
Last edited by Kestrel72; Dec 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2017, 10:56 PM
Ok, I found the specs on the plane and the recommended size for a GAS engine. Can anyone tell me how I can use this to figure out what kind of ELECTRIC motor I need??

Wingspan: 58.6 in (1490 mm)
Wing Area: 568 sq in (36.6 sq dm)
Weight: 6.25 - 6.75 lb (2840-3060 g)
Engine Required: 2-stroke .40-.50 cu in. (6.5 - 8 cc) OR 4-stroke .60-.70 cu in (10-12 cc)

Thanks!

Pete
Dec 11, 2017, 11:57 AM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quick and easy solution : call Heads Up RC and tell him you need an electric equivalent to a .40 -.50 cu in. 2-stroke . Heads Up RC has $2.50 flat rate shipping .

If you don't have any RC flying experience , I recommend setting this plane aside for the time being and starting with a proper trainer ..... unless you need a lifetime supply of toothpicks . Let me know if you need recommendations for a proper trainer .
Dec 11, 2017, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Quick and easy solution : call Heads Up RC and tell him you need an electric equivalent to a .40 -.50 cu in. 2-stroke . Heads Up RC has $2.50 flat rate shipping .

If you don't have any RC flying experience , I recommend setting this plane aside for the time being and starting with a proper trainer ..... unless you need a lifetime supply of toothpicks . Let me know if you need recommendations for a proper trainer .
I'll give Head's Up RC a call, thanks!

I've been flying now for about two years, and I've moved on from trainers into some more complex aircraft. This particular plane is not one I plan to fly regularly. I wanted something to complement my FMS Mustang whenever I go to warbird fly-in's.

Pete

Quick Reply