World Models Super Chipmunk 90N - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Dec 10, 2017, 11:25 AM
Registered User
Discussion

World Models Super Chipmunk 90N


I am planning my first electric powered plane. I was originally going to use a OS91 four stroke and would like something comparable. Any suggestions on motors, mounts, speed control would be appreciated. This plane does have a battery access built into the top of the fuselage. Other than that its a glow design. Should be in the 7 to 8 pound range.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2017, 05:08 PM
Registered User
I have this plane hanging in my garage. Fun FUN super fun plane to fly. I run a 16x8 to 18x6 APC E prop.

Here is my setup.

Motor
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0kv-motor.html

ESC
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...alker-60a.html

Battery
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-6s-t.html


Buzz.
Dec 12, 2017, 11:10 PM
Registered User
How did you mount it? Did you use the original blind nut locations? Do you have any ground clearance issues with that big of a prop?
Last edited by bodybuildr; Dec 12, 2017 at 11:39 PM.
Dec 13, 2017, 07:01 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I have this plane hanging in my garage. Fun FUN super fun plane to fly. I run a 16x8 to 18x6 APC E prop.

Here is my setup.

Motor
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0kv-motor.html

ESC
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...alker-60a.html

Battery
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-6s-t.html


Buzz.
How did you mount it? Did you use the original blind nut locations? Do you have any ground clearance issues with that big of a prop?
Dec 13, 2017, 11:46 AM
Registered User
I used 10-32 threaded rod and PEX tubing as stand offs. I had to drill new holes to match the "X" mount for the electric motor.

I put blind nuts in the firewall, then a nylok nut to hold the threaded rod. Put a fender washer on, then the PEX tubing, then X mount, then washer, then another Nylok nut. The PEX tubing is really stiff plastic. It does compress to a degree but have not had an issue. Plus you can adjust the right and down thrust without having to cut or shave down aluminum stand off's.

I cut a few holes in the firewall for air flow and cut a small hole on the bottom of the fuse at the tail to give the air some place to go.

I just made new gear an inch longer and pulled them forward a bit, You can not really tell. The 18x6 prop is really close, so I run the 16x8 prop.

From memory, when I set this up I was only pulling 45 amps with the 16x8 prop. That gave me plenty of thrust to fly it well plus longer flight times. You could always try a smaller higher pitched prop. Maybe go with a 3 or 4 blade smaller diameter prop.

Mine was a glow conversion, I had a Magnum .91 in the nose. If I was to start with a clean plane, I might try to make the canopy into a hatch so I don't have to take the wing off to change batteries.

I have pictures of another plane I setup the same way if you would like to see them, I can post them tonight.



Buzz.
Dec 14, 2017, 09:26 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I used 10-32 threaded rod and PEX tubing as stand offs. I had to drill new holes to match the "X" mount for the electric motor.

I put blind nuts in the firewall, then a nylok nut to hold the threaded rod. Put a fender washer on, then the PEX tubing, then X mount, then washer, then another Nylok nut. The PEX tubing is really stiff plastic. It does compress to a degree but have not had an issue. Plus you can adjust the right and down thrust without having to cut or shave down aluminum stand off's.

I cut a few holes in the firewall for air flow and cut a small hole on the bottom of the fuse at the tail to give the air some place to go.

I just made new gear an inch longer and pulled them forward a bit, You can not really tell. The 18x6 prop is really close, so I run the 16x8 prop.

From memory, when I set this up I was only pulling 45 amps with the 16x8 prop. That gave me plenty of thrust to fly it well plus longer flight times. You could always try a smaller higher pitched prop. Maybe go with a 3 or 4 blade smaller diameter prop.

Mine was a glow conversion, I had a Magnum .91 in the nose. If I was to start with a clean plane, I might try to make the canopy into a hatch so I don't have to take the wing off to change batteries.

I have pictures of another plane I setup the same way if you would like to see them, I can post them tonight.



Buzz.
Pictures would be great! I have the lastest version of the World Models Super Chipmunk and it has removable section that includes the canopy already. Other than that it's designed for glow power.
Dec 14, 2017, 10:25 PM
Registered User
Oh you lucky SOB. Well mine is 8 or 10 years old. Sooooooo

This is not my Chippy, but I did it the exact same way. You could even not use the PEX tubing and use nyloks. I put the cowl in place, measured how far from the firewall to where the back of the spinner was going to be. Then took the length of the engine to the "X" mount and subtracted that from the first measurement. Figured I would need a 1/2" to go through the firewall and lock nut. I did cut the 10-32 threaded rod long, just to be safe.

With my setup, it flies a lot like it has a .91 in the nose. May not have the high speed runs, but it has this low end torque, pull the nose up and it just keeps going. I don't like to see Chippies going super sonic any way, they were slow trainer planes and not jets.

Hope this helps.


Buzz.
Dec 14, 2017, 10:46 PM
Registered User
Thanks for posting the pictures! Looks like a simple set up. I get my motor tomorrow I'm using a Turnigy .60 500kv motor. I plan on running a 13x8 or 14x8 prop. I'll post some pictures when I get mine mounted.
Dec 15, 2017, 11:06 PM
Registered User
I do like "EASY" Also very easy to change the thrust angles.


Looking forward to seeing your setup.


Buzz.
Dec 16, 2017, 05:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
I do like "EASY" Also very easy to change the thrust angles.


Looking forward to seeing your setup.


Buzz.
What do you think? I couldn't find 1-1/2 spacers so I used a 1 inch behind the wood mount and 1/2 inch spacer in the front.
Last edited by bodybuildr; Dec 16, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
Dec 17, 2017, 01:54 PM
Registered User
Looks good. I have seen a few where they used 3 steps to get the distance they needed.

One good thing about E power, very little vibration compared to the glow power.

To me it flies like a 4s powered plane, lots of torque, not the high speed from a 2s glow engine. It just pulls and pulls.

Buzz.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion World Models Super Chipmunk 90S to Electric PCDan Glow to Electric Conversions 1 Mar 22, 2008 12:16 PM
Yippee! World Models Super Chipmunk 90S gwh Sport Planes 17 Sep 24, 2006 03:24 AM
World Models Super Chipmunk EP {Art Scholl - N1114V} 8VSB Parkflyers 51 Nov 22, 2005 03:21 AM
world models super chipmunk ep video stonewall Electric Plane Talk 6 Sep 27, 2005 10:15 PM
world models super chipmunk ep video stonewall Parkflyers 5 Aug 24, 2005 10:50 PM