Dec 10, 2017, 06:00 AM
Discussion

Building Flying Wing for AIAA Design Build and Fly

Design Build and Fly Competition in Pakistan is going to be announced soon...

While looking at payloads requirements for previous competitions, I want to design a flying wing because of its low wetted area, less drag and high speed as a result.

But the question is, whether flying wings have the capability to show the same performance while accommodating payloads (It has to do 360 left, 360 right and a vertical loop).
What can be the downside of this?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2017, 03:34 PM
Very fast stall speed resulting a very difficult aircraft to launch.
Dec 16, 2017, 11:45 PM
I fly with my little eye
Unswept Flying Wings have a narrow CG range due to the short tail moment arm. This can make them tricky to balance, especially if flights with and without the payload are needed. Some sweep may help, as the reflex aerofoil can be limited to the tip regions which provide stability. This means that the inboard wing can use a more efficient wing section.

The manoeuvres you have to make should not be too much for a well designed wing, though loops can be interesting, mine gets to the inverted then pitches rapidly round the rest of the loop.!
Dec 26, 2017, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Fahad
Design Build and Fly Competition in Pakistan is going to be announced soon...

While looking at payloads requirements for previous competitions, I want to design a flying wing because of its low wetted area, less drag and high speed as a result.

But the question is, whether flying wings have the capability to show the same performance while accommodating payloads (It has to do 360 left, 360 right and a vertical loop).
What can be the downside of this?
Id be looking at a canard design,.... much more forgiving than a wing or conventional layout. It would be stall proof like a wing, which would mean being able to creep up on your maximum weight rather than go a little too far and have the airframe be a total loss.
Dec 29, 2017, 07:22 AM
Quote:
I want to design a flying wing because of its low wetted area, less drag and high speed as a result.
If efficiency is critical, you'll find it hard to beat a powered version of the modern high performance sailplane of conventional tailed planform.

Quick Reply