Sep 03, 2019, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
night here - I can give a better reply in the morning.....

The OSA class were widely sold with many different configurations. The main difference you will see between 1 and 2 is the missile tubes. On 1 the early Styx missiles did not have foldable wings, so they were housed in those big box structures. For the Mk 2, the missiles folded into a narrower tube, giving more deck space.

The boats were very fast, with three motors running 1 shaft each - a total of 3 shafts.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2019, 07:55 PM
George Jure
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgy
night here - I can give a better reply in the morning.....

The OSA class were widely sold with many different configurations. The main difference you will see between 1 and 2 is the missile tubes. On 1 the early Styx missiles did not have foldable wings, so they were housed in those big box structures. For the Mk 2, the missiles folded into a narrower tube, giving more deck space.

The boats were very fast, with three motors running 1 shaft each - a total of 3 shafts.

Hello dodgy

Thank You again for your reply. Yes if you can give me as much information on the OSA 2 as I will aim to make it with 3 drive shafts. Which shaft rotated in which direction? Looking from the rear forward, technical term I know.

Thank You Again for your Help and posting the plans.

George
Sep 04, 2019, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
The OSA plan I have put up is one of a series of 'EeZeBilt' models. These are models designed for beginners to boat modelling, so they are not detailed scale models, and feature a simple balsa sheet interlocking structure which is easy to assemble, but might be harder to modify to make a different design. In particular the motor space is designed for one engine, and three would be a tight squeeze!

Looking from the rear forward, the leftmost shaft rotated anti-clockwise, The other two shafts rotated clockwise. There were three small rudders of a slightly unusual shape - I include this shape (much larger) on the model plan.

There should be lots of images of the OSA class on the net. I enclose some below. The first one is of INS Nipat - the specific OSA 1 boat that I modelled. You can see that the mast has few aerial assemblies - this is because it was an export version and the Russians did not include their sophisticated electronic countermeasure set on these boats. A Warsaw Pact boat would have a much more complex set of antennas.

The next two pics show an OSA 2. You can see the smaller tubular missile containers, supported by a framework of tubes rather than a big box!

The last pics are of the underside of an OSA 1 class in a Russian shipyard...
Last edited by dodgy; Sep 05, 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Sep 04, 2019, 04:16 PM
George Jure
Thank You dodgy for your help.
George
Sep 08, 2019, 04:29 AM
Thread OP
if you can give me as much information on the OSA 2 as I will aim to make it with 3 drive shafts.

Another of the major differences I forgot to mention involves the forward superstructure. On the OSA1 boat the STYX missiles were launched with their wings fixed in place, and there was a need to provide clearance. So the forward superstructure slopes down towards the stern to provide this.

On the OSA2 the missiles were launched with the winds folded, so there was no need to cut the forward superstructure away like this.

Incidentally, one of the departures from scale in my plan is the width of the superstructure. I made it wider than it actually is to provide better access to the motor and radio compartments. The original superstructure is very thin...

Quick Reply