Motor suggestions please VQ Bearcat & Dauntless - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 09, 2017, 06:26 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Discussion

Motor suggestions please VQ Bearcat & Dauntless

HI All , looking for some options for my VQ Bearcat and Dauntless both in the 80” Range.
Would like to set up 12S . 120 HV ESC , any suggestions please ?
I have looked on ( without answers/comfort )
Hobby King ( really had a hard time on HK site )
Rimfire 160
Tacon 160
Eflight 160
Older 200KV Turnegy 12S Motors
Thanks for the help
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2017, 05:11 PM
Rimfire 50cc 230kv on 12s.

This motor will allow you to turn a good size prop with standard pitch... Such as a 23x8 3 blade.
The Dauntless doesn't need speed demon power, so you could even go 24x6 3 blade.

I have the 50cc on my TF 86.5" Spitfire using a 20x12 on 12s.
As an added note... As I don't know how the big dauntless is constructed (I have the. 60 size though)... Keeping batteries cool can sometimes be an issue.... So here's what I did on the spitfire.... 4x micro fans on the bottom of the battery box to suck out hot air.
They are connected to the receiver packs, so anytime the rx is on, those fans are running.
Dec 14, 2017, 07:36 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Thank you !
Do you think the 120 HV is enought for he 50cc or should I go larger ?
The large Dauntless is very light , should come out around 17 lbs .
Would you have a link to the fans ?
Thanks again for the help !
Dec 14, 2017, 10:25 PM
I'm using a ZTW Gecko 150amp hv esc on the spitfire. $109 and yes I trust them. I've used them on several plane's including high voltage edf setups.
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/ztw-g...sc-opto-no-bec

I got the fans off amazon....cut the connectors off and soldered them to a standard servo extension
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GI...GWUPUX9W&psc=1
Dec 14, 2017, 10:30 PM
I imagine a 120A hv esc should be adequate though... Just check amp draw with desired prop
Dec 15, 2017, 03:38 AM
Ldm
Ldm
At that cost I see no resason not to use the ZTW .
I should be ok on the cooling but I am purchasing some because I love the idea and plan to try that on my CMP spitfire.
Thanks again you have been a great help !

As you may recall I was on the fence with gas vs electric , I had a great summer flying all electric and I 100% over that fence ! I am not going back to liquid fuel, the epower experience has been reliable and simply too much fun !
I have also had great results with the Tacon 160 on 12 cells . I would have never thought of the option but a good friend who is a professional electrical engineer dissected the motor and was very impressed with the parts.
However on the two VQ models I am going up as you suggested because I want the option of the larger scale prop.
My TBM is 17lbs , 80” and on the Tacon 160 .
Dec 15, 2017, 09:25 AM
On my ESM 83" FW-190 D9...i put those micro fans attached to the inside of the fuse blowing outward through the exhaust stacks I fabricated. Two on each side.
In that case, I use brass elbows and cut them down then shaped them to look as scale as I could.

This is how their setup in the Spitfire. There are exhaust vents on the bottom of the cowl where the intake is molded
Dec 15, 2017, 04:49 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Nice work , do you know approxmate drain on the battery ?
Also have you found cooling to be much of a problem ? I have not, but have always created some type of baffle on the front end and exit hold in the bottom of the fuse.
Dec 15, 2017, 06:33 PM
I don't normally have issues with cooling, but with the spitfire, the batteries are standing vertical. They are boxed in without much air flow access behind them.
So the fans on the bottom ensure there's not a build up of hot air.

Usually I'd have an air exit on the bottom of the fuse behind the wing, probably similar to what you might do.

The reason for the fans on the fw190 d9 I mentioned was due to the fact it has two mostly solid bulkheads behind the wing saddle. So, no real effective way to route an air exit back there.

The Fw190d9 has the 65cc rimfire on 12s spinning a 21x13. I can fly about 8 mins with varied throttle and still have about 35-40% battery left. (6s 65c 5000s)

The spitfire with 50cc rimfire and 20x12 isn't quite done yet, so no data.

As a note, I have the 65cc rimfire also installed in the ESM Me109g and ESM Dornier 335. The Dornier is heavy at 37 pounds so eats battery consumption quickly. It'll fly for 4 mins even with the assist of a power 60 in the rear on its own 6s battery.
Dec 15, 2017, 06:39 PM
I'm actually really interested in your VQ Dauntless. It's always been a favorite of mine
Dec 16, 2017, 04:32 AM
Ldm
Ldm
I can easily say “get the plane” ! Its light weight great detail and now version two includes the landing gear in the correct position vs version one.
The included pilots are truely worth about $60 each but ,,,,, there simply top heavy !
So I purchased two additional full body pilots and will be selling the 3/4 body included pilots.
I plan on adding a ton more detail and possibly a linear powered canopy and operational rear gunner.
If you look within my blog my P40 has a sliding canopy , its typical process for me on my larger birds . I usually add the canopy , cockpit and make the pilots head turn .
My P40 pilot actually turns his head and moves at the torso area with rudder and elevator .
I am working on and almost finished the Tower Hobbies 90” A26 . Nice model but lots gray area on the power system so I went in my own direction.
Dec 16, 2017, 08:21 AM
I would love to get the 80" Dauntless, however.... Just got married in September!!

Need to save up for a good vacation /honeymoon
Last edited by Katniss; Dec 16, 2017 at 08:49 AM.
Dec 16, 2017, 09:50 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Congrats ,,,,,,but ,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is what the Holiday is for , you get a plane hubby gets a gun lol
Dec 16, 2017, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Congrats ,,,,,,but ,,,,,,,,,,,,, that is what the Holiday is for , you get a plane hubby gets a gun lol
Take a closer look at the picture 😀
No hubby😉
Dec 16, 2017, 06:11 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Yes and sooooooo? , If married to the same sex means no more planes , than you need to switch team
Ok so fill me in , you are the tall RC chick with the Frozen Princess crown , your partner is the tiny Demi more chick in white, whose the hot gray hair women next to you , very nice looking bridal party.
I need all the details simply as you distant rc non-prison inmate staulker friend lol !
So why do you get the princess crown for a day , what is the symbolism ?

Quick Reply