Zivko Edge big from AeroFred! - RC Groups
Dec 08, 2017, 02:05 PM
Discussion

Zivko Edge big from AeroFred!

Hi together,
So, I just completed my big Edge from AeroFred ( 156cm span )
Fred printed it in PET-G and it is just perfect !
Well, it has actually been flown already and it seems to be a great aircraft
The set up was with 5s/5000mah ( some 1800 watts ) and the all up weight is 2950 gramms
I did just two flights in nasty weather conditions but the whole combo looks very promising
In the mean time , I have installed an OS outrunner ( 350 gramm motor ) which is to be driven on 6s and delivering some 2300 watts
Really looking forward to perfect that set up !
see you
Hans
Last edited by hofer; Dec 10, 2017 at 02:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2017, 05:34 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Hello Hans-Peter

Just a small correction, the plane is not mine, itīs 3dlabprint, I just scaled it up a little (30%)

The cool about this mod is that that at this size the mini size servos like the hitec hs81/82 fit like a glove and the motor also fits perfectly in the mount, its a good scale for an enlargement.

On this one, to overcome the PET-G flexibility and the lack of internal structure, the plane was designed to be 1.2 meter, not 1.55, I added multiple 2 perimeter printing processes alternated with 1 perimeter processes. It was a hell of a work but the result was very interesting.

Congratulations for the bird Hans-Peter

Here is a picture with both fuselages side by side for comparison.
Dec 10, 2017, 01:13 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
I'm not convinced about:
- the use of some fixing wing system of the little one in this scaled up,
- the little powered of HS82 for one 50’’ plane.
All this just IMO, off course!

While, nice idea!
Congrats.

May you Fred,
share extra pictures, please?
Dec 10, 2017, 01:30 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
The hs82 is a 3kg servo, for that same size you can probably find higher torque servos.

Yes, I agree, the wing fixing method is not my favourite but it seams to work, that area was also reinforced with 2 perimeter which gives it an extra strength. I donīt have more pictures, only from the parts.

I did this by request of Hans-Peter the OP, it was a kind of a test to see if it works, dis several test prints and when I decided it was good enough print one for him.

Of course, the ideal would be to double the internal structure of the plane but that its impossible without the original design files, maybe Stepan makes one at this size one day.

This is the largest possible size to fit on a prusa i3 mk2.

Some of the photos below are from the initial tests not from the plane Hans-Peter has.
Dec 10, 2017, 02:27 PM
Hi Rosnik,
Well, in my opinion, the whole combo should work just fine !
The wing holds really firm onto that fuse and the servos have about the same torque as the airplanes weight
My experienc tells me, that such a servo torque is always good enough for model airplanes !
I remember the times when pretty fast RC 1 pattern ships were flown with high precision and nevertheless they had only 1.5 cmkg servos at hand in these times !
My two flights included some inverted loops and standing 8`s already - not a problem for this plane !
Now, sustained knife edge flight might be the ultimate test - I did double up the section around the stabilizers with some carbon to make it more rigid there
Now, I am convinced that the airframe will hold up during all normal manouvers - I will not snap it at high speed though - I think that this extrem manouvre could kill the airframe and I like the plane too much to risk it here !
If climate change is a reality, we will have some descent temps during wintertime over here - at any given day with more than 10 degrees celsius - I will go out flying it !!
see you
Hans-Peter
Dec 11, 2017, 03:47 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Sure all the 3Dlab planes are all nicest planes,
and this new 3D printing technology will be the future of RC models.

While in my opinion they are all just immature products and all in developing progress.
The designers are sure very skilled, but I’m not convinced are they rc skilled fliers.
Not for the strange wing profile chose.
It’s just correct for one pylon and not for one acro, of course this is the flight enveloping the designer chose.
But if only will they preview in design study the use of some carbon tubes or rods ( now they are really cheaper!),
this will sure improve the flight performance in 3d manoeuvres too.
I suppose it will be simple to get it in designing study,
2 long little tubes in the fuse (this for strength and to align it) , in the wings and stab too.
And just to say all my opinion,
the study of joints from printed piece to printed piece, will be nicest!
This just to improve gluing surface and align it, than a simple head to head joint.

Thank you for nicest pictures Fred;
I’m finishing to mount the motor in the little version of 3Dlabprint EDGE,
I will sure test this bigger EDGE soon.
Dec 11, 2017, 03:52 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofer
I did double up the section around the stabilizers with some carbon to make it more rigid there
Now, I am convinced that the airframe will hold up during all normal manouvers - I will not snap it at high speed though - I think that this extrem manouvre could kill the airframe

Hans-Peter
Thank you Hans,
I'm totally in accord with you.
May you get picture about carbon reinforcement?

Thank you
Nico
Dec 14, 2017, 02:13 PM
Hi Nico,
Yes, I will take some pics of the final version of this big Edge - you just give me some more time, please !
I have added some 3-axis gyro stabilization to it for the next flight - this is just for test to see how the gyros will do their intended job !
A friend of mine has completed another one now - he did a great job on it ( sanded and airbrushed it ! )
There will be more to come on this subject !
see you
Hans
Dec 16, 2017, 01:51 PM
Hi Nico,
here they are :
see you
Hans-Peter
Dec 17, 2017, 08:57 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Thank you Hofer,
you are very kind.
So you get some rowing stripes and some carbon tissue around,
nice idea!

The stressed points are the tail/fuse surface joiner surfaces and the mid wing joiner.

The stressed points are the tail/fuse surface joiner surfaces and the mid wing joiner.
Dec 19, 2017, 03:33 PM
Hello Nico,
Well, I think that the rowings for the aft fuse section is really required to stiffen up the stab section ( especially concernig torque loads during knife edge flight )
The spread tow carbon cloth around the wing is not really required - I just covered a crunched leading edge there - the wing fell of my working table
during the build of the plane and this section sustained some damage
No chance to do some more flights - really wintertime ( say building time which I enjoy a lot as well ! ) over here !
I report as soon as I do more flights !
see you and happy Christmas time
Hans-Peter

Quick Reply