Dec 08, 2017, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

New Paint Scheme for Freewing F9F Panther

I'm looking to repaint and spruce up by freewing panther. Does anyone know of any interesting color schemes for this plane? I just seem to find the blue and gray online. Has anyone seen it in camo?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2017, 11:35 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasaro
I'm looking to repaint and spruce up by freewing panther. Does anyone know of any interesting color schemes for this plane? I just seem to find the blue and gray online. Has anyone seen it in camo?
The Panther was never painted in camo. Blue and gray are the commonist. There is a drone controller scheme with yellow wings and tail, with red trim and with the fuselage done in dark gray, or Navy blue or red. There is also an interesting scheme where the front of the aircraft, from the aft fuse break where the tail assembly comes off to maintain the engine, is natural metal and the aft fuse is Navy blue. There were a few bare metal F9F aircraft as well.

Google F9F drone controller and F9F "Blue Tail Fly".

That about covers the scale paint options.
Last edited by Thomas B; Dec 08, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Dec 08, 2017, 11:40 AM
There are some interesting schemes at Davis Monthan that I've seen online. Test schemes, training schemes, etc.

As a carrier-based Navy aircraft it would not have made sense for a land-based camo scheme. Pax River, Pensacola, and other bases had some good color combos though.

Andy
Dec 08, 2017, 01:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Even though it is still blue (different color of blue) the Blue Angels scheme is another option for the Panther. The graphics that go with it are pretty simple, as well,
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Dec 08, 2017, 01:45 PM
ɹǝʎןℲ ǝıssn∀
Here are a couple I found on the 'Wings Palette' site. There is another 270 or so there
Here.........http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/807/3

LURCH
P.S I think a couple are cougars, but where all listed in the F9F area.
Latest blog entry: Compulsory Reading!!
Dec 08, 2017, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
thanks guys!
Dec 08, 2017, 03:33 PM
Umm, the blue and the grey color schemes ARE camouflage schemes. Dark blue for North Pacific and grey for Atlantic. It was a carrier bird, after all. No reason to paint it in land camouflage colors.

CD
Dec 08, 2017, 05:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
Umm, the blue and the grey color schemes ARE camouflage schemes. Dark blue for North Pacific and grey for Atlantic. It was a carrier bird, after all. No reason to paint it in land camouflage colors.

CD
While one color low visibility paint schemes are technically a form of camoflauge, it is as clear from the context of the question that the OP meant multi color disruptive type camo. The current common usage of the word "camo"has come to mean a disruptive pattern.

If you do an image search for "camo", it will not return any image that is a single low viz color and it will also only return disruptive patterns.
Dec 09, 2017, 08:53 AM
Quote:
If you do an image search for "camo", it will not return any image that is a single low viz color and it will also only return disruptive patterns.
That's the cart driving the horse. The modern idea of 'camouflage' being only woodlands/desert type camouflage completely misses the point of camouflage and is a conceptual/vocabulary misconception. Polar bears are 'white' camouflage, for example, despite not having a disruptive color pattern.

By the way, be careful what you wish for. Camouflage can work too well. For example, I've used grey camouflage here in NJ, where we get lots of the grey skies the grey was intended for. It can make a model almost vanish! Likewise, greens can be a problem if you have trees, especially if your final approach positions the model against the trees. That's when a bright spinner or LE stripes can be the only way to see the model against the trees.

So, if any camouflage is desired, I'd recommend one for somewhere other than NY state (I'm assuming Vasaro lives there, and not in NYC). Anyway, there's no reason he can't use any camouflage he wants. Make it like a Luft 46 plane; use desert camouflage, with Israeli markings, for example, as if the Israelis bought them. It's his model and he can do whatever he wants with it.

CD
Last edited by Captain Dunsel; Dec 09, 2017 at 09:00 AM.
Dec 09, 2017, 09:42 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel
That's the cart driving the horse. The modern idea of 'camouflage' being only woodlands/desert type camouflage completely misses the point of camouflage and is a conceptual/vocabulary misconception. Polar bears are 'white' camouflage, for example, despite not having a disruptive color pattern.

CD
Language does evolve and the cart does end up in a different position.

The model shop where I work works closely with the engineers that developed the various F-16 and other fighter aircraft paint schemes.We build and paint models with prototypes of the schemes for test and review. Universally, one or two color non disruptive low visibility color schemes are referred to as "low visibility" and color schemes with two or more colors in a disruptive pattern are called "camo". Both are certainly camouflage.

There are so many approaches to camoflauge that it is certainly useful to have additional terminology to further define subcategories.
Dec 10, 2017, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
This is what I went with in the end based on the colors I already had. Did some weathering and just missing graphics
Dec 10, 2017, 03:32 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Ironically the grey over white scheme is universally known as the High Visibility scheme, for the colourful ID markings.

Low viz is used for the later multitone grey schemes including the TPS scheme in current use. In this case low viz refers to the subdued grey ID markings.
Dec 10, 2017, 07:47 PM
Looks like that'll be a nicely visible scheme, Vasaro!

Much better than camouflage, and different enough to be able to see the plane on approach.

Personally, the worst 'camouflage' scheme I've ever had for a model was all silver. It was easy to see where the model was, but very hard to tell what attitude it was in.

CD
May 23, 2018, 03:34 AM
I review RC Products
This is my buddy Bryan's and I think he needs some new paint lol It flies great though!

Bryan's Freewing F9F Panther 64mm EDF Jet Flight (4 min 34 sec)

Quick Reply