Flying from a coastal ridgeline road in Sonoma County CA - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 17, 2004, 07:12 PM
I like you.
Yippee!

Flying from a coastal ridgeline road in Sonoma County CA

Pictures Here

I decided to wake up early today and head out to the coast to fly the stik once the fog lifted. I had a little stretch of road stuck in my head that I was pretty sure would suit landing and takeoff needs.

Getting away from the regular flying spot was refreshing, and the views from the coastal ridge along Coleman Valley Road (near Bodega Bay CA) are fantastic. The wind was very slight this morning, though I'm sure the landscape would lend itself nicely to slope soaring once the winds come about in the afternoon.

Taking off downhill with the wind wasn't idle, but was doable. Landings were made uphill into wind, and were quite acceptable... Well, except for the one time I came in a bit hot and over shot the landing spot and nearly planted the plane in a ditch (see photos).

Anyhow, just thought I'd share the photos and the experience. Here's a map showing the location where I flew for the those that might want to try this spot yourself:

Map - You'll need to zoom out to get a better idea of the location relative to nearby towns.

Happy Flying,

Randy Wentzel
Pictures Here
Last edited by kilroy914; Nov 17, 2004 at 10:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2004, 07:30 PM
Firebreather
Nice patch out there.. Ill have to check it out sometime.. (Napa City here)

Looks like a nice, relaxing site to fly at.

-Jason
Nov 17, 2004, 08:36 PM
I like you.
Quote:
Ill have to check it out sometime.. (Napa City here)
Where do you fly in Napa? I make it out that way from time to time to work on my Fiat at Wine Country Motors off Soscol Ave.

Best,

Randy
Nov 18, 2004, 07:41 AM
Speed Demon
Kilroy914, Welcome to RC Groups!

Looks like you've found yourself a beautiful place to fly!

BTW, both of you are not too far away from my local club. If either of you plan on getting down this way send me a PM, you're welcome to come fly at Thomas C. Allen Memorial Airfield.
Nov 18, 2004, 02:19 PM
Firebreather
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy914
Where do you fly in Napa? I make it out that way from time to time to work on my Fiat at Wine Country Motors off Soscol Ave.

Best,

Randy

LOL.. Fiat (Fix It Again, Tony) Sorry, couldnt resist..

The club here flies out at Kennedy Park (Behind the JC)
http://www.napanet.net/~delder/nvrcc/

Theres not too much on the website, but theres the clubs name, and info.

Im usually out there saturday mornings, Drop me a PM if you're going to be around, and want to do some flying..

Still have to get down and go see GregG

-Jason
Nov 18, 2004, 06:17 PM
I like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG
BTW, both of you are not too far away from my local club. If either of you plan on getting down this way send me a PM, you're welcome to come fly at Thomas C. Allen Memorial Airfield.
We'll see! Thus far I'm enjoying flying with my friends in a non-structured environment, though I'm also drawn to meeting more like-minded RC folks. Thanks for the invite!

Best,

Randy
Nov 18, 2004, 06:21 PM
I like you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendnwngs
LOL.. Fiat (Fix It Again, Tony) Sorry, couldnt resist..
Don't worry, I say that all the time myself! It's really ironic though how little I actually have to wrench on it though. It's my daily driver and I haven't had to fix anything since before July - and I drove it to Oregon and back during that time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendnwngs
Im usually out there saturday mornings, Drop me a PM if you're going to be around, and want to do some flying..
I'll do that. Drop me a line if you head out this way too.

Best,

Randy
Nov 19, 2004, 02:40 AM
Gotta make the doughnuts
Nice plane and covering job.
Nov 19, 2004, 05:57 AM
BAKO
oooh man. good fluyng site,
and this fiat is wery famous in old CCCP countries. I live in republic of Georgia. where do u live? russia produces such cars. it's name is LADA 06. lol.
I fly on old RACETRACK. u can see pics from this track on this page.
I decided to make some drag competition
my 1600mm giles 202
VS
my brothers HONDA PRELUDE 2.0

how do u think who can win? I have magnum 91rfs 4 stoke, but with 13X8 prop yet.

here is it we call this track RUSTAVI RING. it's 20-30 minutes way from my house
Last edited by Bako; Nov 19, 2004 at 06:02 AM.