NextGen 4D-aerobatic flyer that you can "3D print" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by Graphene, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 07, 2017, 10:23 AM
New Product

NextGen 4D-aerobatic flyer that you can "3D print"

Hi All

Greetings

Aero-Persistence Research has just launched a 4D-aerobatic flyer in the form of a "3D printable" kit in time for Christmas
It was based on their patent pending design:
https://aero-persistence.com/typhoon_4d/

The 3D printable parts are available on the website as downloadable zip file.

Key features:
- Ability to hover nose-down with precise roll control thanks to the presence of wingtip rotors with variable pitch
- Uses cyclic controls for the pitch and yaw and hence it has zero flight control surfaces, i.e. no ailerons or elevators

Here is a video showing the basic hover test:
"3D printable" 4D aerobatic flyer – basic flight test (1 min 58 sec)

Just did a forward flight test today with collective pitch of 11 deg. It was sweet and smooth ~

It uses the Futaba GY750 as it requires 3 independent gains.
Will certainly share flight videos as they become available. All eyes were needed today during maiden forward flight to ensure safety.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2017, 09:33 AM
Just when I thought I had seen all the vtol variations, some one comes up with another.
Very cool idea , although very complex with heli controls all the way around. Do the wing tip rotors also rotate for forward flight ?
I am also surprised that you achieved transition to airplane mode with flat heli blades and only 11 degrees of pitch?

What FC are you using with the gyros?
Last edited by v22chap; Dec 09, 2017 at 09:42 AM.
Dec 09, 2017, 11:21 AM

New Video

Hi All

Here is a new video showing a more complete flight demo:
Typhoon 4D - flight demo (3 min 8 sec)

Enjoy
Dec 09, 2017, 11:34 AM
Hi v22chap

Great to hear from you

Ya it uses helicopter mechanics for its main propulsion unit. While it is seemingly complex, the cyclic controls take care of the yaw and the pitch of the aircraft, thereby eliminating traditional rudder and elevator surfaces.

The wingtip rotors do not rotate. It plays the role of ailerons. So this aircraft has zero flight control surfaces

It uses the Futaba GY750 because it requires 3 independent gyro gains.

By the way, just uploaded a new flight video. Hope you enjoy it.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Dec 09, 2017, 12:02 PM
Love your 2nd vid ... love the nose down hover ... pretty awesome bird you have ! Wish I had a 3 D printer !!! I assume you will soon bring it to full kit version .,but then again I have to many projects in the fire already .
Good luck on your venture .
Wishing you and yours a Very Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year too
Jan 07, 2018, 08:25 AM
Testing some 4D aerobatics involving yaw control (1 min 8 sec)
Jan 07, 2018, 08:41 AM
Cool
Jan 07, 2018, 09:06 AM
Hi v22

Glad to hear from you again Thanks for your feedback.
Jan 09, 2018, 01:10 AM
Typhoon 4D - flight demo (extended) (4 min 12 sec)

Quick Reply