Feb 19, 2020, 11:52 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
I made myself a two pin connector a number of years ago using a section of computer connecting bus (.1mm square wire) and I can connect to any two pin battery normally used for transmitters. Basically, it is the same as if you removed the cover of a male servo connector and left the pins exposed and on the other end of the wire, made a connection to fit one of your regular charging adapters, like an EC3, XT60, or Deans. I have been able to troubleshoot many battery issues with it but with any of these transmitter batteries, charge them at a much slower rate than an equivalent flight level battery. I will charge my spare iX12 battery at 1A and not its 6A capacity. Take care.

Don
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2020, 12:27 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
It looks like a PH2. If it is, you can buy PH2 pigtails by the dozen for less than a dollar a piece on Banggood or almost any other quad/FPV related website.

But yeah, if you were careful about it you could make a connector out of two straight pins and a small block of cork. I was going to suggest it, but honestly, the poor guy is suffering enough already I didn't feel right adding to the burden.
Feb 20, 2020, 11:58 AM
model aviation is not a crime
Yeah, that's great, If i felt the need to hack around to charge a battery for a $630 radio...

Spektrum wisely released a banana plug to DX series connector for their 2S tx packs, It would be so grand if they would do the same for the iX series

I am desiring to continue to support Spektrum, the last American brand. As we know, Spektrum brought 2.4Ghz to market after years earlier Futaba dropped the ball and choose not to expand on their 1985 spread spectrum patent.
Last edited by justplainold; Feb 20, 2020 at 12:23 PM.
Feb 20, 2020, 12:06 PM
USB charging is fundamentally different. But, because it's ubiquitous, you aren't limited to our offerings for charging. There are lots of power sources on Amazon that will work.

That's part of WHY we went with USB charging - so after-market third-party items would be plentiful!

Andy
Feb 20, 2020, 11:06 PM
Flying every chance I get!

My new TX matches my new plane

Spent the evening playing with the new iX12 and finishing setting up my new plane. So far I really like it. Very easy to use. Now I have to figure out if I want to keep my DX9 or the DX6 I for buddy boxing in pilots in training.
Feb 20, 2020, 11:44 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
USB charging is fundamentally different. But, because it's ubiquitous, you aren't limited to our offerings for charging. There are lots of power sources on Amazon that will work.
Andy, he thinks he has a bad battery. He probably does. We were talking about taking the pack out and cycling it on a charger to see what capacity it delivered. But he's got no way to connect to the pack's connector. Is it a PH2?
Feb 21, 2020, 08:36 AM
I don't think so. I saw that because just this week I had to make an adapter so I could plug an iX20 battery into an Arduino project I'm working on at home, and the Arduino definitely is a PH connector. Plus I used PH parts from the lab for it.

When I get desperate, alligator clips and electrical tape work for me.

Andy
Feb 21, 2020, 08:47 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I don't think so. I saw that because just this week I had to make an adapter so I could plug an iX20 battery into an Arduino project I'm working on at home, and the Arduino definitely is a PH connector. Plus I used PH parts from the lab for it.

When I get desperate, alligator clips and electrical tape work for me.

Andy
Whenever I need a connector I buy a pack of 10 or 12 and put the rest in a box. My box now has at least one of every type of R/C connector I'm likely to need.

I also have boxes of diodes, capacitors, transistors, etc to last a lifetime. Just started stockpiling Arduinos too - I've used 7 in the past week.
Latest blog entry: Make your own EDF afterburner
Feb 21, 2020, 08:51 AM
I'm the same way, John. When I came to HH I brought 3 cabinets full of electronic components. They stayed in my office for 9 years, and were frequently accessed by the guys on the team. Meanwhile, they built up a stockpile of their own, so when we moved into the old Hobbico building my cabinets went back to my home office.

Andy
Feb 21, 2020, 12:52 PM
model aviation is not a crime
so then, which connector type / part number is used for the iX12 battery ?
Feb 21, 2020, 01:15 PM
Flyin Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano
Spent the evening playing with the new iX12 and finishing setting up my new plane. So far I really like it. Very easy to use. Now I have to figure out if I want to keep my DX9 or the DX6 I for buddy boxing in pilots in training.
Nice match.

I kept my DX8 so I could do the buddy box thing too. I would keep the DX9 if I were you. With my 8, I set up new planes with throws and mixes. Then when all is said and done I transfer it over to the IX12, easy peezy.
Feb 22, 2020, 06:43 AM
Good morning , I just got a iX12 last weekend and would like to get rid of all the apps that I don’t need. I just want the apps that are needed to fly and keep the android system running.
Could someone smarter then me ,about essential apps post the ones that I need so I can disable the other ones( in your spare time. LOL)
Also in my dashboard there’s a pop up I can’t get past ,wanting me to download twitter or something. What’s with that
Feb 22, 2020, 07:57 AM
The pin spacing is 0.1 header spacing. If you have a male XH connector you can steal 2 pins out of it or Arduino male header pins work. I tested mine on one of the cheap drone alarm testers (from Flite Test) as a 1 cell battery for voltage (not load)
Last edited by speed2004; Feb 22, 2020 at 08:03 AM.
Feb 22, 2020, 08:01 AM
Going to build a test load for 1 amp. These are Lion 18650 cells x 3 so charge a bit different than Lipo - but most modern chargers can be set for that. Charge at 1 amp emulates the USB rate.
Not sure Andy is allowed to tell- but are these protected or unprotected cells?
Feb 22, 2020, 05:00 PM
ticedoff
Quick comment on "Power Banks" to charge or extend the time you can use the iX12:
Not all Power Banks are created equal.

I have a 16,000mAh power bank and it shuts itself off after being connected to the iX12 after about 10 min.
This power bank has 5 USB Type-A outlets. But, what I found is that it will only deliver about 1 1/2A shared between all 5 ports.
If I connect 2 iPhone 8, the power bank will shutoff when a 3rd phone gets plugged in.
It will not charge 2 iPad at the same time.

When I test this power bank, it provides 1A for 12 hours with no problems.
I use it for cameras and iPhone while traveling. And, I am pretty confident it is still in good condition.

BTW:
MaxxPacks.Com has a 10,200mAh replacement pack for the iX-12 for $33 (USD). It uses 3 of the NCR 18650B cells.
I figure with the original 6,000mAh iX12 battery and this 10,200mAh pack, I can swap batteries and fly all day.
It can be charged inside the transmitter or externally.

Quick Reply