Dec 07, 2017, 11:31 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by prawlin
So I stand corrected, a new thread is appropriate for this new radio.

So my burning questions are......

Can this nice looking display be *easily* viewed in direct full sun?

What is the mA power draw of the system?

Is the touchscreen reasonably robust? It is likely to get properly hammered by the neck strap hook swinging across it. Presumably screen protector films can be applied without stopping the touch functionality?

Cheers

Peter
Good question, I wonder if it is actually glass like on Smartphones.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 11:33 AM
Lipoly Killer

That's a great radio, Paw Paw!

Damn! That blows away the new Futaba 16! I love opentx but, just may go back.
Dec 07, 2017, 11:40 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware
This radio is 1/2 seriously awesome and 1/2 very redundant to anyone carrying a smart phone. I have had cameras with android on them. Its just superfluous for the most part. Looks great on paper, but you're simply not going to text your friends and browse the web off your TX, much less through a hotspot thats already your phone. But, I'm not going to knock that. Just worried that Spektrum has a terrible track record on android development. Now we have another Android OS that will need security updates and so forth.

But... the TX has one job, and thats to be an awesome TX. If they nailed that, with this interface and new screen, this will be a great radio to have for that reason alone. I'm not spending $600 for all that social/web stuff, a $50 Fire tablet does all that.
The point is more developing TX-specific stuff, as well as leveraging 3rd party Android apps like programmers for ESC, FC's, Receivers, etc.

Posting to FB and some of the other stuff is largely 'yeah, you can do this'. Good for marketing, but the reality is only the Youtube posting fiends will actually use it.
Dec 07, 2017, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deep End
Good question, I wonder if it is actually glass like on Smartphones.
Hmmm, lemme just google that on my TX.
Dec 07, 2017, 11:42 AM
Well this is truely the next big step for me. Nice work to the Spektrum team. I was looking for an excuse to upgrade my old dependable JR 12X. For the price, I cannot turn this one down.

Thanks Spektrum!
Dec 07, 2017, 11:42 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tware
Hmmm, lemme just google that on my TX.
Got a 28X, do you ;-)
Dec 07, 2017, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
The point is more developing TX-specific stuff, as well as leveraging 3rd party Android apps like programmers for ESC, FC's, Receivers, etc.

Posting to FB and some of the other stuff is largely 'yeah, you can do this'. Good for marketing, but the reality is only the Youtube posting fiends will actually use it.
100% agree with you here. And, I've purchased 2 android tablets and a 8" windows tablet in the past to help in the field... programming AS3X Rx's, my HobbyEagle gyros, Eagletree stuff... Cleanflight settings... Nothing has been a truly 'appliance like' experience. I just had to bring my laptop to the field to be 100% I was going to fly that day. So in that regard, if they can truly deliver on something that *just works*, even if its just their own RX's and hardware, I'll be happy.

Quote:
Got a 28X, do you ;-)
sure... doesn't everybody? I just left it in my other McLaren today.
Dec 07, 2017, 11:48 AM
Will it support the tower app for pixhawk? That would be super interesting and awesome.
Dec 07, 2017, 12:04 PM
I love Corsairs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I think RCGroups will have a Special Podcast at 2:00pm today. I'm not sure if it's an "exclusive", but it should be fun.

McD
2:00pm in what time zone?
Dec 07, 2017, 12:15 PM
aka KF7DS
This, combined with the new Lemon telemetry rxs is enough to move me to standardize my sailplanes, quads and umx toys onto one eco system. Well done Andy and team.
Dec 07, 2017, 12:17 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutrc
like the title says, congrats andy, you guys did a great job!
Cheers! V
+1
Dec 07, 2017, 12:19 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkalwishky
2:00pm in what time zone?

Sorry I left that out. I believe that they use Central Standard Time now that DST is over. I'm surprised I haven't seen them post anything yet.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Dec 07, 2017, 12:30 PM
Wandering IT geek
Hmmm... I didn't think I would buy another Spektrum radio - The DX9 I own is perfectly serviceable and meets my needs for flying most of my fleet. For Long Range stuff and quads the Frsky Taranis does the trick.

...but with the integration of a touch screen and Android I'm intrigued. Perhaps after the holidays are over an IX12 will replace my trusty DX9...

In any case the product looks like another job well done by the team of engineers at Spektrum!
Dec 07, 2017, 12:31 PM
Admin Deluxe
Hey guys. We actually had a sneak peek of this unit and it's pretty amazing. I'm excited to get my hands on one since I fly Spektrum on a regular basis.

LIVE YOUTUBE BROADCAST TODAY!

When I spoke with Steve P., the Spektrum brand manager, I invited him to join us live on the our Youtube broadcast. He will have the new iX12 in hand and answer questions.

Subscribe to our Youtube channel to get an email when we go live. This will allow you not only watch live but join the live chat and ask your own questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rcgvideos
Dec 07, 2017, 12:39 PM
PA Enthusiast
Unless I missed it: Can you set up and program AS3X receivers through the transmitter w/o using a seperate device?

Quick Reply