Dec 07, 2017, 09:55 AM
BMFA 120061
Sorry, off topic
Last edited by GadgetMart; Dec 07, 2017 at 10:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Remember, you have Bluetooth support at the android level, so bluetooth links are possible if supported. So there already are options other than USB.
Good point, that makes MANY thing possible........ never thought about that
Dec 07, 2017, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr
Here's the big question in my mind - does the Android system actually fly the aircraft, or is there a more direct link between the sticks/switches and the RF module?
The Android system provides the User Interface ONLY. The flight controls are run by the same channel processing code (and CPU) that are in the current radios. This ensures that the system will have the utmost reliability and users can have confidence in the complete package.

Quote:
First and foremost, the transmitter has to control the aircraft. As long as that's accomplished, everything else is icing on the cake.
Exactly.

I developed the original DX8 with the expectation of a 2-CPU system in the future - one for the UI, one for the flight controls. The current radios already support a non-existent or non-responsive UI (ie, "locked up") and will continue to fly the aircraft just fine. This was a primary system constraint from the very beginning of our development.

The iX12 is simply the realization of what was started almost 10 years ago.

Andy
Dec 07, 2017, 10:01 AM
aka: Scott Ellis
Is the left stick physically switchable to being spring-centered? Without opening the case?
Dec 07, 2017, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
Andy, i get that a USB port for connecting FC's is a nice thing, but cables are old. With FrSky's system we change settings in the FC wirelessly. That should be possible with Spektrum also to be compatitive.
Yes, we've been doing this wirelessly for nearly a year now internally. It's finally almost ready to be released. The iX12 will support it too.

Andy
Dec 07, 2017, 10:04 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
Just ordered one at my local hobby shop

619.99 euro less receiver
719.99 euro with receiver AR9030T
Dec 07, 2017, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
So no sideloading (manual install of APK's not via the play store). That seriously limits development of iX12-specific apps.
Not what I said. I don't know if you'll be able to install your own apps over USB, but if not that's an oversight on our part because this system was developed with the intent of user-developed applications running on it especially as I noted previously in regard to telemetry.

What good would it be to publish the spec and then lock you out of utilizing it?

Let me be clear: I did not work on the UI of this. I pulled out the CP from the Airware system, designed and implemented the communication protocol, and specified the behavior of telemetry. Then I moved on to the next "secret project" and left the development of this product in the very capable hands of a team of developers in whom I have much confidence. They ask me questions now and then, but that's about it.

Quote:
Yeah, but what are the chances you guys are planning on supporting Pxx (FrSky's protocol for the XJT and R9 modules in serial link mode, with S.Port return). That's why I'd like to be able to write my own serial data handler. I'd like to be able to use the iX12 like I do my Taranis (IE, with a module installed and switching between internal and external RF on a per-model basis).
You might be pleasantly surprised. No, it's not in the first release. We have a prioritized list of protocols to be implemented, but I won't even say if Pxx/S.Port is on the list.

Quote:
So, can I get the app?
I don't know. Can you get the DX6R app? If so, then probably, since they're handled the same way.

Andy
Dec 07, 2017, 10:13 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
What would I search for in Google Play to locate the app?
Dec 07, 2017, 10:15 AM
Better SAFE than sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The Android system provides the User Interface ONLY. The flight controls are run by the same channel processing code (and CPU) that are in the current radios. This ensures that the system will have the utmost reliability and users can have confidence in the complete package.
Great answers! Thanks Andy. I figured that you had thought that through.
Dec 07, 2017, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings
What would I search for in Google Play to locate the app?
Well, the app isn't released yet, so you'd want to search for the DX6R app, and I have no idea how to do that.

Andy
Dec 07, 2017, 10:23 AM
Andy, Nice work with this radio.

Does the Android side of things support GSM? (for cell data) Or de we have to bounce it off a hotspot while at the field?
Dec 07, 2017, 10:23 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric
Is the left stick physically switchable to being spring-centered? Without opening the case?
Yes, centering screw adjustable from the front. Not as slick as the DX6e, but FAR more adjustable.
Dec 07, 2017, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Andy, Nice work with this radio.

Does the Android side of things support GSM? (for cell data) Or de we have to bounce it off a hotspot while at the field?
No cell phone interface. You'll need a hotspot.

Andy
Dec 07, 2017, 10:25 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Well, the app isn't released yet, so you'd want to search for the DX6R app, and I have no idea how to do that.

Andy
Just installed the Raceware App from the Play Store, so looks like the Airware App should be installable. Running it is another story (it crashes immediately on my Galaxy S6)
Dec 07, 2017, 10:27 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
No cell phone interface. You'll need a hotspot.

Andy
I'm actually VERY happy to hear that. Cell phone interfaces are an absolute minefield for anything that will ship in the sort of quantities the iX12 will. It's one thing when you are moving 1/2 million units even for smaller carriers, but there's so many different protocol targets I'd rather just tether.

Quick Reply