Dec 07, 2017, 07:21 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
FAQ

Spektrum iX12

For all of your curiosities and questions to the iX12, join in the discussion!

TAP INTO THE POWER

The iX12 brings Spektrum™ AirWare™ software and DSMX® technology together with smart features like an Android-powered touchscreen, WiFi connectivity and more. The result is a remarkable transmitter that is easy enough for sport pilots to use yet capable enough for expert RC competitors.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...eiver-spm12000

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...only-spmr12000

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPM12000
Last edited by PropsnWings; Nov 21, 2019 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Title Change
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 07:22 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
Some helpful tips:

SpektrumRC Instructional Video Series.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xymm-3LiI-P5dj

What to expect when booting up.
Android will take approx. 60 secs, then a 30 sec pause, then Airware will load, a beep will be heard when done.
Spektrum iX12 Bootup (2 min 3 sec)

Saving to SD Card:
Tap export in model utilities
Select the model to export
Touch export
Tap ES save to
Choose path
touch back arrow until you see /storage/extst
Tap /storage/extsd
Tap select

Powering off or sleeping the screen:
Pressing the Power button once will put the display to sleep but the radio will continue to transmit normally.
Press the power button again to wake up the screen.
Double pressing the Power button will open a window allowing you to select RF On/Off, LCD On/Off, or press and hold
to put both RF and LCD into sleep mode. It is recommended you use the sleep mode rather than turning the system Off on flying days.

To clear timers:

Press and hold the timer.

SD CARD:
When removing the SD card, first go into settings and UNMOUNT it.

Charging:
The RF light will blink the entire time through the charge. Once it is complete, it will light solid.

VOICE, see post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2511

Optional ways of moving files or images to the iX12 internal storage
Remember to first unmount the SD card in settings, before removing it from the ix12
as well as to remember to eject the card via your computer, before removing it.

Once the card is in the iX12:
1. Tap on ES File explorer
2. Swipe left twice, then tap on EXTSD
3. Tap on the folder the images are stored in.
4. Long Press on the image you want moved... a menu on the right will pop up, tap MORE
5. Tap MOVE TO and select the folder you wish to move the image to.

This whole process might be a bit easier if you just hook the iX12 to your computer with the USB Cable. (no need to keep removing the SD card) ((make sure the iX12 is powered on))
1. After connecting the iX12 with the USB cable to your PC, and it has "setup",,, you will need to navigate to the iX12 in your PC.
2. once there, click on iX12 and then a window with the Internal Storage and SD card will appear. Click on Internal Storage.
3. From there, you can directly add photos to the appropriate folder. (DCIM)
4. When done, eject the iX12 before you unplug from the PC.

Downloading and importing model setups using only the iX12 and WiFi.
1. Using Google Chrome, navigate to www.spektrumrc.com , then to model setups, then ( I used the DX9 files as need to be Gen2 files)
2. Find the appropriate model file and tap it. (tip- either use your fingers and zoom in on the area of the page you want, or use a stylus)
3. once downloaded, tap the square in Android, then tap the X on Chrome to close it, then tap the header of the Airware app to bring it back to full screen.
4. Follow the normal steps to creating a new model, but instead tap the three dots at upper right, and then tap import, this then brings up a window. From there you need to tap the arrow in the upper left, ONCE, then tap on SD0 then tap on Downloads, then finally tap the file you want to import. Follow the remaining prompt(s) to finish.

Easy file/photo transfer between a Mac and iX12 via USB
See post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3504

Overly detailed instructions for using TeamViewer to work your ix12 from a PC
See post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3601

Periodic reports from telemetry.
Originally Posted by duworm
Model Setup
Audio events
Custom reports
Touch + symbol
Touch > symbol
Select switch
Select frequency
touch Pen Icon
type "receiver voltage" followed by a space
Tap Macros
Tap QOS
Tap Rx voltage

Optimizing Boot Loop issue:
For a possible fix, see this post.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3123

To reboot/restore using ADB tools
See post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3995
Alternate link for ADB tools, http://www.mediafire.com/file/ccnnv8...oot_v1.4.3.zip

To enter SAFE MODE of Android:
Press and hold the power button.
When the Power Off/ Reboot window pops up, long press POWER OFF.
This will open up a window to confirm you wish to boot to safe mode.
This will allow you to clear cache or uninstall an app, IF your radio is not booting properly.
Last edited by PropsnWings; Feb 08, 2018 at 06:34 PM.
Dec 07, 2017, 07:54 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
A few quick thoughts.

1. Overall, this is a game changer. It's the first radio release since the original Taranis X9D that I can really say that about. This will be extremely popular with the multirotor community in particular, as the ability to run a full android app for programming instead of a basic Lua script or 9x12 text box via SRXL changes the world there.

2. Spektrum REALLY needs to up its app game. The history of their programming apps is quite poor. That cannot continue.

3. Can we sideload? Either way, there needs to be a published, supported API for interacting with the telemetry system (for 3rd party telemetry apps) and with the external serial port.

4. That serial port? Can I or someone else write a custom protocol handler with telemetry support? If so, FrSky needs to get XST and R9S modules out with serial link support, because this just put the hurt on the Horus X10, especially in the multirotor community.

5. Custom caller apps. I've seen some pretty cool IMAC callers, and also guys running sailplane competition audio tracks on OpenTX. It's now totally doable on Spektrum and needs to happen.

6. Any stick/knob to Android inputs? Can I write something that pushes the input of an arbitrary switch/knob out via SRXL telemetry or even a channel? Can I write an app that communicates with an arbitrary device on the aircraft via the telemetry channel? So much possibility there, especially for things like GPS Racing.

7. Can I get the Airware App for other devices. As a guy who provides a fair bit of assistance to other club members on programming, it would be amazing if I could have folks email me an SPM, open it up on my phone, fix any issues or add the bits wanted and email it back for use on the iX12 or G2 TX's. You've already written the app, now let us use it as a programming app on larger screen devices (as nice as that screen is, I'd rather work on a 5.5" or larger device when doing the programming)
Last edited by mawz; Dec 07, 2017 at 08:06 AM.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:03 AM
Yes, the Android system can be a very big thing for this radio. I like many thing about this system and hope that they will extend the mixers and other function compared to the older style airwave. If they create the room for custom sensors then it would be perfect for me.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:08 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
With the memory being expandable via SD card, I think anything is possible. I think they have a system that they can truly build and grow on.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:30 AM
Suspended Account
This looks good. I wonder about the touch screen though. As I scroll down pages on my phone I sometimes inadvertently activate something, that could be dangerous. Also I would like to see something other than black. DX12 would have been a good name, but I guess that designation may be history. I think X12 would have been nice, something about the i doesn't do it for me.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:38 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deep End
This looks good. I wonder about the touch screen though. As I scroll down pages on my phone I sometimes inadvertently activate something, that could be dangerous. Also I would like to see something other than black. DX12 would have been a good name, but I guess that designation may be history. I think X12 would have been nice, something about the i doesn't do it for me.
Well, it is an intelligent radio.. so..
Dec 07, 2017, 08:52 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings
Well, it is an intelligent radio.. so..
Yes I suppose it is. I am having a hard time not pulling the trigger. I wonder if they will actually be ready in a week.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:55 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deep End
Yes I suppose it is. I am having a hard time not pulling the trigger. I wonder if they will actually be ready in a week.
My sources say yes... they waited so they can deliver in a reasonable amount of time rather than make us wait 4-6 months out.
Dec 07, 2017, 08:58 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings
My sources say yes... they waited so they can deliver in a reasonable amount of time rather than make us wait 4-6 months out.
Wow, hard to believe.
Dec 07, 2017, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
3. Can we sideload? Either way, there needs to be a published, supported API for interacting with the telemetry system (for 3rd party telemetry apps) and with the external serial port.
Yes. You'll be able to load anything out of Google Play.

The spec for the telemetry data service will be published eventually. It'll be rather straightforward. You may not need it, though. I finally got telemetry reporting to work the way I want it to (I didn't code it, just wrote the spec for it).

Quote:
4. That serial port? Can I or someone else write a custom protocol handler with telemetry support?
The port is connected to the protected channel processing CPU, so no, you won't have access to it.

However, it has support being developed now for multiple protocols, so it probably won't be an issue.

Quote:
5. Custom caller apps. I've seen some pretty cool IMAC callers, and also guys running sailplane competition audio tracks on OpenTX. It's now totally doable on Spektrum and needs to happen.
Yes, those Android apps should run on it today.

Quote:
6. Any stick/knob to Android inputs? Can I write something that pushes the input of an arbitrary switch/knob out via SRXL telemetry or even a channel? Can I write an app that communicates with an arbitrary device on the aircraft via the telemetry channel? So much possibility there, especially for things like GPS Racing.
I don't know how many times I've told the beta testers, one question at a time!!

It's a standard Android interface. The only physical button that connects to Android is the power button, and even that is done indirectly.

The interface is purely event-driven, so events such as switch changes are reported to Android by our service, but the app is the consumer. I don't know if they will be making available those events on the service or not. It wouldn't surprise me.

The telemetry channel is incoming data, so no, you can't send the airplane anything through telemetry. Don't feel bad - nobody can, not even us. There is one forward channel, and one return channel.

Quote:
7. Can I get the Airware App for other devices. As a guy who provides a fair bit of assistance to other club members on programming, it would be amazing if I could have folks email me an SPM, open it up on my phone, fix any issues or add the bits wanted and email it back for use on the iX12 or G2 TX's. You've already written the app, now let us use it as a programming app on larger screen devices (as nice as that screen is, I'd rather work on a 5.5" or larger device when doing the programming)
That's actually how we started development. I used to have the app running on my phone (part of the reason I broke down and got a "smart" phone last year - but I couldn't tell you that then.

Andy
Dec 07, 2017, 09:18 AM
Mmh... i almost want to switch back to Spektrum now Let's see how this system develops next year
Dec 07, 2017, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
iX12 12-Channel DSMX Android-Powered Intelligent Transmitter (5 min 16 sec)
Dec 07, 2017, 09:35 AM
BMFA 120061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
Mmh... i almost want to switch back to Spektrum now Let's see how this system develops next year
I think that's the point of this radio, what are you currently using?
Dec 07, 2017, 09:35 AM
AMA District VII AVP
Thread OP
Spektrum page has been updated to the correct version.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPM12000

Quick Reply