This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 06, 2017, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

have you ever lost signal?

sometimes you loose radio signal, or becomes erratic. even results in a crash. checking the radio afterwards, all seems fine. and when this happens and some1 is around, or you talk to some1, frequently they say or think that is was pilot error. yes, sometimes a crash is due to that. but when the loss happens to you, with no1 around, and you did not make a mistake, you know it was not you.
then, what happens? perhaps something in the atmosphere? give a look at this report: http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/16080...o_humidity.pdf and this: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/...r_atmospheric/
https://annals-csis.org/Volume_5/pliks/241.pdf
at the end says: In summary, our study has the following main contributions:
We show that changes in weather conditions affect radio
signal strength. Temperature seems to be the best explanatory
variable for signal strength variation and has a
negative, linear effect on signal strength in general, while
high relative humidity may have some effect, particularly
when temperature is below 0◦C.
We show that correlation between signal strength and the
studied weather variables vary depending on radio channel
and link. Applying frequency diversity will alleviate
these effects.
We show that smaller transmit power results in smaller
unexplained variation in received signal strength (in most
cases) and thus stronger correlation with the studied
weather variables
i used to fly early. very early. i had to wait until there was enough light to see the plane. and also, sometimes i experienced signal loss-with assorted results.
tried everything, even changing field. as i dont have a radio with telemetry, i couldnt check the signal quality, and it was until i began to use an independent variometer that i began to notice that it didnt send the signal (voice or beeps) at certain times. i was getting data and suddenly it became silent for some seconds. then i got data again. but then i realized that this happened more frequently early in the morning, rarely later. so i reached the conclusion that it was that the humidity was high. so humidity blocks signal. the report confirms it. at least now i know, and avoid flying early in the morning. and no more loss of signal. just consider this. and especially if you fly at places where humidity is high no matter when. at my place the common figure is above 80%
Last edited by phil alvirez; Dec 06, 2017 at 08:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply