Aug 12, 2019, 11:55 AM
This is your brain on heli's
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelydanfan
I was thinking that the Graupner radio would have given me some info or telemetry or something that would warn me that my receiver strength was not good, battery telemetry, some information coming my way that something was amiss. My beginner radio lacked these features, there are workarounds for these features for most any radio, but it's easier when the radio was designed to have those features from the beginning.
So you think your crashes were due to signal loss. OK, that is certainly possible. Graupner will certainly give you signal strength warnings and RX voltage. You can add other functions too. like flight pack voltage on motored planes, current, rpm, etc. A lot of glider guys like to add Vario. You will also want to learn how to do Range Checking before you fly a new setup. Reduced power from the TX and you stand a a distance away. It works better if you have a helper that can turn the plane in all different orientations while in range check mode. Antenna placement can have a big affect on signal strength so that is one of those to bone up on.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
So you think your crashes were due to signal loss. OK, that is certainly possible. Graupner will certainly give you signal strength warnings and RX voltage. You can add other functions too. like flight pack voltage on motored planes, current, rpm, etc. A lot of glider guys like to add Vario. You will also want to learn how to do Range Checking before you fly a new setup. Reduced power from the TX and you stand a a distance away. It works better if you have a helper that can turn the plane in all different orientations while in range check mode. Antenna placement can have a big affect on signal strength so that is one of those to bone up on.
I agree with everything, no I did not do range checks on my beginner radio with several different models of different types. Your last statement was significant, antenna placement can have a big effect. This is so true, my theory on my Night Radian crashes is this: I moved the receiver aft from under the canopy to the ventral servo hatch trying to get a better CG, the Night Radian (version 2) is very nose heavy and an organizational mess with the extra wires for the LED light strips, on/off LED switch, etc.

Continuing, I should have paid attention to the antennae placement ( 2 of them) in that ventral servo compartment. I believe they were running too close and parallel to servo wires and LED light wires in the same compartment, I should have rerouted the antennae to the outside and at 90 degrees to each other. I never had a range problem with this radio until I moved the receiver away from the canopy area. I will range check before my next flight.
Aug 23, 2019, 04:25 PM
Nigel T
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr
Here is my motor glider program. here is what it does.
Five Phases in order of Priority:
Launch S8 Up
Landing ST1 moved down a little
Cruise S7 center
Thermal S7 down
Speed S7 Up

Before power up, put S7 in center, S8 down, ST1 up, otherwise you will get startup warnings.

Throttle is only active in Launch. DV4 varies the Throttle from about 40% to 100%.

Launch phase has priority over all the other phases so whatever other phase you are in, it will go to launch if up move S8 up.

Thermal and Speed have active camber/reflex. The amount of camber is adjustable by SL2

S6 acts like a Throttle hold. It keeps the Throttle channel at zero even if you are in Launch phase. It does not change the Phase, just locks the Throttle level to zero.

Wing differential is on

Thermal, Cruise, and Speed also have Snap Flaps.

Landing mode has Butterfly with the ailerons and Flaps plus Elevator compensation on a curve.

So I think that is a pretty complete motor glider program. It acts just like the Sherman Knight MG program on my DX18.

Throttle in the TX is on CH8 but it is Out Swap to Out 1 so shows up on CH1 on the RX.

CH12 is used to drive a mix for the TH Hold feaure.
CH10 is controlled by DV4 which is mixed into CH8 to adjust the throttle level.

Load it up and give it a try
Thanks Rhodesenger I have loaded your Mdl file and have flown it very successfully, I really like it. I also have an MC-32 are MZ-24Pro files transferable - I have tried but have not had any success , any suggestions? Cheers
Aug 23, 2019, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelATaylor
Thanks Rhodesenger I have loaded your Mdl file and have flown it very successfully, I really like it. I also have an MC-32 are MZ-24Pro files transferable - I have tried but have not had any success , any suggestions? Cheers
Glad you found my program useful. I have no idea about MC-32; either how it programs, what it's features and limitations are, or file compatibility with MZ-24.

Probably your best bet would be to recreate the equivalent functionality in the MC32 starting from scratch. My motor-glider program is based on the functionality laid out in the manuals that come from Red-sailplane. The 6-servo motor-glider template manual tells you what to program and why. It tells you how to program for Spektrum but not other brands. But knowing the WHAT and WHY is a great starting point.
Aug 23, 2019, 09:57 PM
The model structure between the mc-32 and mz-24 are not compatible.

However, it should not be hard to transfer model functionality manually when you have both radios next to each other.
Sep 05, 2019, 07:39 PM

A scare... a brainfart... things back to normal. MZ-24 pro screen blocked

Yesterday, I turned on my transmitter (MZ24-pro) and got the screen that is include in the picture, a beeping sound and no way to get out. No rx set button, idle warning button or anything... the bottom of the rectangle was black and kept beeping. Turned on/off three or four times, no change... took the battery off for a while... put it back, no change.
Inspiration hit... version was 2.025 so I connected it to my PC and updated it, now is version 2.029, update was a breeze...

The Scare... turned it on again and the beeping/dead screen 📺 continued.

So... I decided to do a hard reset (hold down and center the trim tabs and turned it on) which took a few minutes, and now it's back to normal.

The Brainfart (which of course heppened the instant I started the reset)... my models!,
Yes.. the're gone......
Fortunately there were only 3 and no heavy programming on them.....

Question:
What should/could be done in this case? (Other than backing up the models before messing with the radio) ?

Regards,
Patrick
Sep 05, 2019, 10:02 PM
When you get that screen it indicates that the throttle is not in a preset position that the radio expects. This is a safety issue.

If your radio was in mode 2 then pulling the left throttle stick all the way down it would have cleared the dialog.

In case you had it set in mode 1 then the right stick (normally elevator in mode 2) would have cleared that message.

A factory reset is very seldomly needed if at all.
Sep 05, 2019, 10:49 PM
I didn't touch radio modes at all... turned it off at the field after flying... turned on yesterday and things got hay wire.

Problem persists.... but I see what you're saying.
My plane was ch1 throttle, 2 ail, 3 and 4 rudder/elev, 5 ail, 6 batt/ignition opticut
Now throttle is on channel 3 ... so I had to swap servos between channel 1and 3.

It is in mode 1 the right stick is clearing the message.
Still is a mistery how it got swapped. Changed it back to mode 2
And will swap the servos again.

Thks for your help
On the brighter side.. my radio's software is up to date
Last edited by SwampFlier; Sep 05, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
Sep 14, 2019, 08:49 AM
Fly Navy!
I'm considering the MZ-24 for my first "nice" radio. I'm between this or a FrSky X10S.
Does the MZ-24 support other transmission modules like Spektrum or FrSky? The pictures look like it has a removeable cover on the back side where a module would normally go and the description states it has an external DSC port for "third party devices" but I don't know what that really means. I've also seen modules described as fitting in JR/Graupner style bays so I assume it is a feature of at least some Graupner radios.
I'm definitely getting the MZ-24 if it can use modules.
Thanks!
Last edited by Bodie38; Sep 14, 2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
Sep 14, 2019, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie38
Does the MZ-24 support other transmission modules like Spektrum or FrSky?
Hopefully those more knowledgeable will weigh in but I don't think so. I have never heard of anyone being able to use a Graupner TX with, say, a Spektrum RX.
Sep 15, 2019, 08:29 PM
c/f
c/f
The graupner can output to differing formats thru some creative plug ins and transmitter setups.
Thus the confusion as those that figure it out have created posts.

I do know for sure what you think is a removable cover is actually the battery removal cover and not a module system as you are wishing for.

I would caution you though that an upgraded MZ24 to a software PRO version is still far from an actual MZ24 Pro, the MZ24 has plastic gimbals and bushings for joystick hardware while the actual MZ24 Pro is aluminum / BB gimbal hardware.
Latest blog entry: Amt 180
Sep 16, 2019, 05:05 PM
Fly Navy!
Rhodesengr, c/f, Thanks for the response. I went ahead and bought a used MZ-24 Pro. I guess it can support an external Crossfie module (with additional external battery) but that's it. It would be nice it it could also support a multi-protocol module for use with various BNF planes and quads, even if it was clunky/external battery.
Sep 16, 2019, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
Graupner receivers are very good. They are the reason I bought an MZ-24 pro in first place. Compact, program from the TX, well developed telemetry especially if used with Graupner ESC's, etc.

You should just use the Graupner RX's IMHO. Other products are probably better choices for multivendor RX setups.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:23 PM
c/f
c/f
Somewhere buried in this Graupner vendor support is someone who has a graupner TX outputting to Spektrum, it did not look that undoable once problem was solved......
Latest blog entry: Amt 180
Sep 19, 2019, 12:58 AM
hfa
hfa
That was me. I have used this module from Hobbyking (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx...er-module.html) to bind with spektrum receivers. I wired it per this diagram (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...66&postcount=8). The data comes from the DSC port while the power comes from the Data port(or you could use an external battery). Instructions on how to bind it can be found on the hobbyking site.

Quick Reply