iumop ap!sdn w,I
Thank you for the first impressions!
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2017, 02:13 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrima
I finished building mine this afternoon and took it out for some soft launches. I'm a DLG noob so keep that in mind. The plane fit together quite well. The quality was honestly better than I expected. I did replace the supplied string with .012 beading wire.

It was completely dead air this evening but the plane still flew well. It's easy to launch and basically taught me how to use the AD DLG 4.1 eepe. I'm running the recommended 1s 500mAh battery and a FrSky D4R-II. CG seemed good with everything placed as far up toward nose as possible.

The plane is also quite durable. Don't ask me how I know. '

Edit: Also used 15 min epoxy on the critical parts. The manual calls for CA on the peg installation but that seemed pretty suspect so I used epoxy.

Is she floaty? how does she react to thermals?
Dec 23, 2017, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedzu
Is she floaty? how does she react to thermals?
I haven't flown a higher end composite glider yet, but to me she floated well. The only thing I noticed was that the wind penetration wasn't quite as a good as the true F3K gliders I've seen. I'm guessing that's due to the built-up wing vs. composite.

Edit: It was pretty dead last night but would see the wing wags on occasion when there was a little lift. I think she'd do fine in thermals.
Dec 23, 2017, 07:55 AM
For you with Spectrum radios and are new to sailplanes setup go to https://red-sailplane.myshopify.com. These are guides and flights modes, these are loaded into your radio the written guides is worth the money because you will learn more about your radio, then is or was possible from your manual.
Dec 23, 2017, 08:08 AM
Quote:
It was completely dead air this evening but the plane still flew well. It's easy to launch and basically taught me how to use the AD DLG 4.1 eepe. I'm running the recommended 1s 500mAh battery and a FrSky D4R-II. CG seemed good with everything placed as far up toward nose as possible.
with or without a 5V reg?
Dec 23, 2017, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
I'm gonna assume without, Fsky rx's are fine on 1s and in the past i have found the servos in the 1m composite dlg from HK pretty zippy on 1s even though they are not technically rated for that voltage. That was tested with a 1s at the minimum 3.7v too.
Dec 23, 2017, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
I'm gonna assume without, Fsky rx's are fine on 1s and in the past i have found the servos in the 1m composite dlg from HK pretty zippy on 1s even though they are not technically rated for that voltage. That was tested with a 1s at the minimum 3.7v too.
That's correct - no regs. I was out for a good hour last night and noticed no drop in servo performance at all.

More flying today!
Dec 23, 2017, 11:01 AM
I just did a basic test on my new shiny variable power supply

Unboxing // Adjustable Power Supply // 0-10V 0-30A // 110V 220V (3 min 34 sec)

...I only tested when the receivers went out of bind mode (quick test) and I was super surprised... even at 2.5V both the Spektrum AR6600T and the Orange R720Xv2 didn't reset...

...to bad Spektrum has no 4ch telemetry receiver... really want to "see" the Rx voltage inflight to get an idea how much the servos sag my old lipo when air flows over the surfaces (yeah... I intend to do some 3D with the DLG as well lol )
Dec 23, 2017, 11:31 AM
Thread OP
With a Turnigy Nanotech 1s 600 powering a Spektrum 6270T and 4 KST 08 servos i get very little to no sag on the telemetry screen.

I know some will say that sag will be present if i were to investigate further and check logs etc, but i've ran this set up without a single issue, and i stop flying when my screen shows me 3.7v.

For what they cost, get yourself a fresh lipo, putting that old one in is just setting yourself up for failure right from the start.
Dec 23, 2017, 12:10 PM

Hobbyking Raven 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
For what they cost, get yourself a fresh lipo, putting that old one in is just setting yourself up for failure right from the start.

so true... and will look into the AR6270T as well... but I try to not spend money when not 100% needed even if that means risking losing way more xD
Dec 23, 2017, 03:32 PM
Did some more flying this afternoon. Lots of fun! My launches are pathetic but still hit a pocket of lift and got about a 4 minute flight one time.

Think I'm hooked on these DLGs now.
Dec 23, 2017, 04:36 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Did some more flying this afternoon. Lots of fun! My launches are pathetic but still hit a pocket of lift and got about a 4 minute flight one time.

Think I'm hooked on these DLGs now.
Wow not 4 minutes? not bad at all.
Dec 23, 2017, 04:36 PM
Thread OP
You're doing better than i can with my Snipe.

True story.
Dec 23, 2017, 04:41 PM
Thread OP
Could you take a shot of your servos?

On the HK page for the model, i can't see how the servos work without interfering with each other or hitting the side of the pod (depending which way you have the arms on)
Dec 23, 2017, 06:27 PM
Here you go. You're correct - with the way the servos come set up the arms have to face toward the inside. With the way one of the servos is shimmed there's little to no interference. The only thing I did run into was that instead of running the usual crimps (there was no room) I had to wrap the wire around the servo screw. This seems to work really well so far.

Quick Reply